I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem - any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cooper is 12 weeks and has always bit quite a lot when playing, however tonight after his walk we got home and he got the scallies was running around, then came over and properly bit me. It was really aggressive like and it has really worried me. I'm not sure what to do. He has had moments like this before but not quite so bad. I know he is trying to dominate me, but i don't know what to do when he bits. i've tried ignoring, i've tried saying Ouch, i've tried leaving the room. I come back and he just bites again. I feel like i have made him like this and i don't know what to do. I'm worried incase he hurts the kids. :(

Vicky

·
Registered
84 Posts
You need to use a sharp, but not loud or abrasive, sound or perhaps tap them (GENTLY) to distract them from the act. Make sure that you remain calm when training them and always remember that they do not take it as personal, they see it as a mother gently showing them that it is wrong to swear.

They do not mean to do this as they don't know that it is wrong. Keep in mind when you train a dog that if a small dog behaved towards a child, the way a pit bull or Rottweiler did to an adult, the effects are similar. If the above does not work, consider using a e-collar (One that VIBRATES, not shocks) to distract them.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
He is learning and pushing the boundaries. Put him out when he does it. Pups get more bitey when they need a break. You should end the game put him out and give him a couple of minutes to calm down. Do this consistently and I promise you he will learn, the penny will drop, if you are consistent.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
The trainer at the dog class I was at yesterday was talking with the young puppy's owners (12 week lab) and she said '2 hours up, 2 hours on their own in their crate, 2 hours up, 2 hours sleeping etc during the day and then 8 hours sleeping at night. At least 18 hours of sleep time in 24 hours' she went on to say how much sleep little puppies need and how if you don't get them used to a routine like this they don't get the sleep/rest they need and you get more hyper behaviour. She was also very firm about not trying to wear your puppy out by over exercising them - she said it doesn't make them sleep better, it just means they get over excited and hyper...
I'd never heard it said as baldly as that - but it sort of makes sense when I think about it. Do you think Cooper gets enough rest time during the day?
I don't think he is trying to dominate you - I think he is just not yet understanding the boundaries of nice play, he is still a baby and the reason his bite hurts is becuase his teeth are very sharp.
Try not to be frightened of him.
Keep some treats in your pocket and use them to distract him - get him to sit and treat him and then give him a toy or Kong with cream cheese spread thinly on the inside so he settles with that.
Don't give up - you're doing fine. It is a stage you will get through it...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your tips and advice, Marzi cooper does sleep quite well during the day but the biting was after a 10 minute walk, so maybe he was tired.
I'm going to have a go at the loud sound first and put coins in a tin, See if this works. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks vicky x

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
My Molly was exactly the same way. She would bite all time tried the "ouch" thing didn't work. Tried the ignoring her that didn't work either. She was a lot worse when she would be getting tired sort of like a temper tantrum or something. So after a while I decided to let her play for a couple of hours and then crate her for 2 hours and this helped a lot. If left in the living room with us she would never sleep but in her crate she sleeps very well.

She is 4 months now and we still are doing this routine. She still is very mouthy but it's more gentle now but I think she is starting to teeth cause she is very chewy with her toys.

At first I thought she was an agressive dog but after talking to the vet and other dog owners I learned that this is normal puppy behaviour. Having her play with other dogs has also helped cause when she gets to be too much older dogs put her in her place. We take her twice a week to doggie play and she has gotten a lot better since we have been doing this. It takes a lot of patience but getting mad doesn't help patience is the best way. At first it would make me mad but then I realized that if I was angry she would be more bitey.

Good luck with your puppy!!:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that renee, nice to know it's not just cooper. 99% of the time he is great and he has been wonderful with toilet training and walking on leash. It's just the biting that needs to be worked on!!!
We start training and puppy classes next week so hopefully this will help him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has made me feel so much better - what brilliant advice. I was getting so upset with my 10 week old puppy who is so sweet but has these bitey sessions and will take no notice of 'no'...

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
There are two types of biting- the over-exuberant puppy nipping and the snarling, teeth-bearing, serious biting. If it's the former then don't worry too much he will grow out of it. If it's the latter then I would advise you to consult a behaviourist.
Dexter was a nightmare puppy biter but he is a gentle as a lamb now and never nips. Bonnie did all her nipping on Dexter!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Our little Beau is a real Jekyll and Hyde. Can be dozy/loving then nipping at your ankles. Tried yelping when she made contact, seemed to get her more excited, as did trying to tell her off? Even tried the can of pressurised air (£20?? - what us pet owners will buy??!), again she loved it. Very exciting for her.

The one thing that works every time but boy it needs patience...... quiet new-puppy type whimpering, the weaker we can sound the better. Stops her in her tracks, her head goes on one side and then she oozes sympathy, lots of licking. Almost like it brings out the maternal side in her, bless she's only 4 months old. Soon as she starts nipping/mouthing we whimper again, it stops. You do get some funny looks from people though!

I've also discovered, like others have said, she easily gets over-tired and just like a tired child she gets naughty and needs calming down. I'm sticking with it but this forum is so much help when it feels overwhelming.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Funny little beau, she sounds gorgeous - have you any recent pictures??
I tried the corrector spray - my hand got too cold from spraying it! :D

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Sounds like you are doing things right. My motto is tired puppy, bitey puppy so sleep is the best tonic.

Pics please, she sounds like a doll!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Another tip is to always have a chew bone for them, so when they come to bite you ( and you know it's going to happen) quickly put the bone in their mouths. Hold it for them if necessary, but this allows them to gnaw away. Even now, if we have had just 10 mins of ball play in the garden, they both come in over excited and mouthy. It takes another 10 mins for them to calm down. Mine are 21 months and 20 weeks. Always be calm...no squealing with your puppy, no shouting, just calm, calm, calm. They become over excited so quickly and over stimulated so quickly too and it's like they cannot handle the excitement. Think kids on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but with puppies it's every day! To be honest I think a 2 hour spell of play is far to long for a 10 a 12 week old. Just a few minutes, then let them rest. Little and often on play and training and lots and often on sleeping. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I've only just joined this forum and am glad I've seen this. My Harry is 12 weeks too and also very much a nipper. We picked him up at 8 weeks, at 9 weeks the school holidays started and my 3 children (twins 8 and another 3) had two pretty much housebound weeks with their new puppy which meant we had an overtired overstimulated puppy that nipped a lot of ankles. Q lots of arm waving, jumping up and down and running away from the 3 year old with a puppy hanging off her legs and me wondering what we had let ourselves in for. Puppy training on the whole was going well but kid training was not! Since they've been back at school/nursery things have improved somewhat.

I definitely notice he gets more nippy and hyper episodes when hes tired, especially after a walk so now we come in from a walk (20 mins at the most), go in the garden for a wee (still holding them whilst out) and then straight to his crate for an hour or so.

I have to say nipping is our biggest issue at the moment still, we've also done the yelping, saying no, shaking a bottle with stones in and whining but they worked a couple of times only. I like the sound of the 2 hour in 2 hour out rule so I think I'll give that a go as at the moment he probably only has one 2 hour in stint and then a couple of 30 mins when I do the school run.

I'm glad to read that it all gets better. When he's not having one of his 'episodes' he's perfect and adorable.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Our little Beau is a real Jekyll and Hyde. Can be dozy/loving then nipping at your ankles. Tried yelping when she made contact, seemed to get her more excited, as did trying to tell her off? Even tried the can of pressurised air (£20?? - what us pet owners will buy??!), again she loved it. Very exciting for her.

The one thing that works every time but boy it needs patience...... quiet new-puppy type whimpering, the weaker we can sound the better. Stops her in her tracks, her head goes on one side and then she oozes sympathy, lots of licking. Almost like it brings out the maternal side in her, bless she's only 4 months old. Soon as she starts nipping/mouthing we whimper again, it stops. You do get some funny looks from people though!

I've also discovered, like others have said, she easily gets over-tired and just like a tired child she gets naughty and needs calming down. I'm sticking with it but this forum is so much help when it feels overwhelming.

Tried to soft whimper on Maggie and it works, (yelping, ouch doesn't get any response from her), unless she is in a crazy rabid puppy mood.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts