I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm also not very experienced, but I went to a puppy party last night and there was a trainer there who advised one of the mums (oh, you know what I mean!) about biting. It was basically to ignore it. Every time they bite, stand up and walk away. Then give them a positive cue (sit or down or something they know how to do) and treat them when they do that, so it's not all negative and they can focus on doing something good. I think the problem is that when we are negative, we're not particularly understandable because it's all vocal. When we ask them to do something positive, it's easier for them to understand.

Also, you have make really sure that you do it EVERY TIME she bites - consistency is the key. The trainer said that if the message doesn't get through, separate him - not in the crate, but in another room. This goes back to when they were in the wild - anti-social behaviour results in them being forced out of the pack for a bit. So, you're supposed to do this for a few minutes until they have calmed down and then let them back in and give them somethign positive to do that they can be treated for.

I'm sure people with more experience can tell you if all of this actually works or not!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.