I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so upset, my lovely well behaved 3 year old Louis just bit me , I tried to take food from him that he had stolen , I now realise I shouldn’t have tried to get it from him but it was spur of the moment , he really hurt me , I cried to think my boy could do that to me , has it happened to anyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi gaynor, I can only imagine how you might be feeling. I can really empathise with your situation. My thoughts would be that he’s still your lovely well behaved boy, but he was also acting on his instincts to take something that he thought was high value and available and then didn’t want to have you steal it. I had a similar shock when we took Digby to the vets for his post op check following his neutering op. The vet seemed really nervous and whenever she came near he started to bare his teeth and snap in a way we’d never seen before. we’ve never seen him like that again and I’m not sure if he was still sore and recognised the vets or if it was the vets nervousness. we’d read a lot about resource guarding before we got him and we try to always use the ‘swap’ command, offering him a treat in exchange for what he has. He likes this a lot and often goes on treasure hunts to see what he can find that will mean we swap. It would be worth thinking if anything else might have triggered his reaction. Take care- it must have been a big shock

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you , we had just got home for a lovely walk on the beach , i made tea and cake and gave him a tiny piece , when I turned my back he’d stolen and devoured it , I will never try and take anything off him again , will just ignore him , he’s been in his crate since , I am still in shock , it as actually quite vicious.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Always a shock but from his point of view it was a valuable resource you were trying to take from him and he was defending himself against you. Happy to chat more about resource guarding in general as it is something which often crops up in cockapoos

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you , he’s never done this before and I am still shocked, I’ve been embarrassed when people were asking what happened to my hand , it’s very bruised and punctured , he’s been ok since .

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On a more serious note I hope you all keep safe and well at this worrying time

1 - 6 of 6 Posts