I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have had Bertie 2 weeks now, and he is biting a lot he is 10 weeks old and the biting is really getting me down as no matter what I seem to do he doesn't take any notice.

When he starts I say NO, then NO bite this doesn't make any difference, I then let out a OUCH thinking he might realise he has been to sharp but he just keeps biting and gets worse the more I try and stop him.

I have tried turning round and ignoring him, but he then hangs off the back of my legs so in the end I give in and turn round as his teeth are digging in the backs of my legs and its sharp.

I then have to result in to putting him in his crate to calm him down, which does seem to work when he comes out. I don't really want to keep putting him in his crate, as he will end up thinking he's crate is only for when he has been naughty.

Apart from the biting he has settled in well, on a night he is really well behaved in the crate and settles in his bed with a hot water bottle and we don't hear much off him during the night.

Any tips for the biting I would be grateful.

thanks

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Maybe have a room where you say you'll put him on his own, for Izzie we put her in the kitchen if she'd naughty, we say 'Izzie do you want to go in the kitchen?' If she doesn't stop to that we put her in for a while with the door closed until she's calmed down (she is always left on her own, sometimes when she was younger we'd turn the light off), then when we go to get her back out we say 'Izzie you have to be a good girl or you'll go back in the kitchen, sometimes it take 2-3 10 minute sessions in the kitchen but she gets it & then starts being good again, now when we say 'kitchen' she knows & it can make her stop without having to put her in there.
you could try holding his mouth together & say 'NO BITING' and he might associate the two more and it could stop him as they don't like you holding their mouths so he might try to avoid it that way?
I'm not sure if it would work for you as every dog is different, but you could always try it if you think it might work.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
`he will get over it you just need to keep up the hard work. try keeping a lead on him, not for a correction as he is a little young but just so you can remove him without touching him.

stick with it you will get there.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I don't think I'd class biting as being naughty as they need to bite when they are teething .... try to redirect the biting to a variety of chew toys. Kongs are great, especially with cream cheese or peanut butter inside them, and you can put them in the freezer before giving them.

Bess is a biter too and I can see she's lost a bottom tooth now ... not sure what age this stops but she's happy to chew rope toys or kongs (instead of hands and clothes!). :)

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Vincent is a biter too and we really want him to stop as my neice is 1 and loves dogs, we don't want her to visit and be bitten and give her a negative experience with dogs.

We find that if he does bit us (it's usually the backs of our legs when playing in the garden) we squeak a very loud squeaky toy which distracts him. It's slowly starting to work but I think it's going to be a good month or so before he stops completely.

Keep at it! I know it's upsetting (once Vincent was so bad when it was just me I ended up crying and ringing my boyfriend at work because I thought Vincent hated me).

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Aww it's really sad that you thought that :(
Just keep saying how naughty he is, try distracting him with something else, but if distraction doesn't work then you need some form of punishment that you don't mind if he doesn't like, we use the kitchen because we know how much she loves being around us, so it's a good punishment to show that if she's naughty she can't stay in a room with us.
If it is just a teething problem as mentioned above then buy some chew treats or tys specifically to help with this and see if they work, but don't let him think it's okay to bite people under any circumstances as even if it is just teething, if you don't tell him off for doing it to you then it will continue into adulthood & then it will be much more difficult to stop him.
Good luck, i'm sure you will sort it soon, just keep working at it :) Izzie barely bites now- 1 year old on thursday, (if she does bite now it's just playing when we wind her up & she rarely hurts us - the only time she gets a little aggressive is sometimes on walks she bites legs/feet for no real reason, not sure if that is down to not getting attention, but if we say NO and stand looking at her for a while, and then tell her to keep going she generally settles down).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the replies will try getting a kong toy and put food inside. Food will keep him busy as he loves his food.

Over the last few dogs the biting is getting worse and growling at the same time once he gets hold of your finger, really digs his teeth in that its cut the skin a few times. Will be glad when I can take him to puppy classes and get him mixing with other puppies.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ruth, all the best with Vincent. You sound how I feel at the moment.

I have just ordered The Perfect Puppy by gwen bailey book. Heard how good the book is.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I know how you feel - all the techniques mentioned had very limited sucess with Betty...HOWEVER she will be 5 Months old next week and
have started to seeing an improvement ( Hoorah!!) over the past week or so...not perfect but a a LOT better than it was.
It can get you down a bit , epecially when all you want to do is cuddle!!
Keep at it - it does improve.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Your pup sounds like mine ,your doing all the right things and even though Buddy has got better he is still very bitey (see my other thread)
I didnt realise puppies bit this much and it came as a shock ,i must say though at the weekends when were out alot and he goes on really long walks theres less biting (hes probably too knackered!)
Good luck ,and remember theres lots of us out there going through the same as you dx

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Don't worry most of us have been through the same thing! There have been so many threads on here saying exactly that! He will stop, there is light at the end of the tunnel- just be patient and always substitute something else until he gets over it. Dexter was one of the worst biters now he never does it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Biting update....

It's getting no better, and now he is getting bigger the biting is also getting harder so much so he bit my mom and she had to go and get a tetanus jab as it really bled.

Its when he is playing and it turns in to him going to far and starts growling and biting. Or sometimes he just bites your leg for no reason when your not expecting him to.

If I do anything to try and stop him it makes him worse and goes for you even more. Iv tried everything that has been recommended.

Then other times you would think butter wouldnt melt when he is all sweet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi,

I can't give much advice but just wanted to give some support. Our pup is 10 weeks old and is a definite chewer, so every time he bites we put a chew toy in his mouth. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.... but hopefully by being calm and consistent he'll grow out of it. The only time it gets a bit much is when I wear my pjs and or some reason he loves to bite my legs in them. Al I do is get out of the way, and ignore him until he calms down, and then play with him when he's calmer.

Hope it improves for you soon, and maybe you will get some tips from the book you spine of

Kxxx

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
All i can say he is teething, and you will probably soon find some tiny teeth around the house soon. After he gets his second lot it will be very likely to subside if you keep up with the calm approch (not easy with a puppy hanging by its teeth on some part of your anatomy, I know:D) but it is a phase they go through, and it usually passes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am hoping he isnt going to turn out aggressive, as he growls and really does go for you and if he gets hold he wont let go.

thanks for all you comments and tips x

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Bertie could just be a lively puppy with teething and play getting very excitable, trying to push the boundaries, but some puppies do have aggression issues. I have dealt with food guarding issues in very young puppies which caused growls and snapping, with good training it can be stopped, a dog behaviourist can help with any behavioural issues if it continues....

Aggression sounds so harsh when talking about a puppy but I know it happens and if it is aggression I feel for you, its not nice for you or your puppy .. I am not an expert but I do know aggression is a very real thing in any dog and something that requires dealing with on any level... you will get lots of good advice on here. xxx

Please dont worry .. you are are doing a great job by asking everyone on here for advice xxx

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi there

Unfortunately all puppies bite, some worse than others but it does go after a while. I agree, kongs covered in something yummy, cyber puppy toys do some good teething toys. When mine were young, one in particular use to drive me mad with biting, that I put her own paw in her mouth & closed her jaw. You may think that's abit harsh but it worked! Every time she got abit over the top I use to do this and soon she realised that it does hurt!!!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts