I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am squealing when Daisy bites me but this just seems to whip her into a frenzy and she does it even more. I have tried sitting on the sofa out of her reach (she hates this as she longs to be on it herself and is not yet big enough to jump up) but all she does is cry and attempt to jump up.

Anyone got any effective tips?

· Administrator
5,034 Posts
Leav a light leax on them so you can ger a hold of them without having your hands close enough to bite.

for the noise it needs to be a shock not something that sounds like a toy. if the noise your using isnt working change it make it deeper, sharper and louder. you want it to be so much of a shock the back off like what on earth was that.

it takes time. sitting out of reach is just fristrating her and that will make thungs worse as she gets older and can jump on the couch.

what gets them exited that makes them bite. start setting up situation where you know they are going to get mouthey so you are prepared to react. the lead will really help. you can controle the pup without them being able to bite.

· Registered
8,349 Posts
I am just working on an article about this very subject as I have many new puppy owners asking me similar questions...

Basically different dogs respond to different techniques to stop the puppy biting/nipping.

The aim is to stop this and to find a method which works for you, but this is all part of your puppy training, so be consistent. Basically training your puppy not to nip you, but nipping and biting toys is allowed.

Yelp when he/she nips and replace with a toy which he/she can bite. Muzzle hold and replace with toy. Lead control as Kendal mentioned above, and time out if the nipping continues has worked for others although this is not something I have used often.

I will post my article on here when it is complete :)

· Registered
1,318 Posts
Yes yelping like a puppy seemed to make Lolly worse. It excited her more. I found that holding her muzzle gently(round mouth and nose) closed until she relaxed and tried to back away worked.
Before that we had tried yelping like a puppy, standing up and ignoring her but this just made her jump at us and putting her in another room but that just made her scratch at the door!
I think you have to try a few things and see what works best for your puppy.

· Registered
569 Posts
Another technique I've tried it to hold treat in your clenched fist and get pup to smell - when he stops trying to sniff or lick - say off & then reward. Keep practising & then you can use the learned off command for teeth on skin.

Its worked quite well for us. But it does seem that they have different levels of naughtiness - once Dexter is at a high level of growl or bite then we know that no amount of yelping or off will do it - we pick him up & pop in toilet or gently put into crate for quiet time. Apparently it can be due to tiredness.

Each pup is different - Dexter seems to run around & nip too when he needs to 'go outside' - wish he'd just ring his bell instead !!

· Registered
194 Posts
This might sound rather rude but in slight frustration at getting gnawed to pieces tonight I blew a really loud raspberry and it stopped him in his tracks! I don't know at all whether it will do the same tomorrow as he's now asleep for the night but I was really surprised lol x

· Registered
3,583 Posts
Lots of good advice already given. I used the toy in the mouth method, and when she ever just mouthed gently I'd praise and say gently. I was trying to let her know what is acceptable and what isn't.

It definitely changes when their adult teeth come in at around 16 weeks.

· Registered
3,583 Posts
Lots of good advice already given. I used the toy in the mouth method, and when she ever just mouthed gently I'd praise and say gently. I was trying to let her know what is acceptable and what isn't.

It definitely changes when their adult teeth come in at around 16 weeks.

· Registered
3,045 Posts
Dexter used to love it when I made a loud noise or told him off when biting, it just encouraged him to do it more! Ignoring him or putting him in another room helped a bit but as soon as his adult teeth came he stopped all together. Bonnie on the other hand never did it so it just depends on the dog.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried the loud noise which worked the first time but not since! Trying the diverting her attention with a toy now. She has been very lively today and chased the cats for the first time, they finally found some bravery and gave her a good swipe - result a very subdued puppy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.