I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
both Delta and Echo were 8 weeks old when they got their firsat one, they got them frozen my lot seem to enjoy their meet like that

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
She's 16 weeks now and she 's been having them for weeks ... she loves them but i buy them fresh then freeze them and defrost on a daily basis. I hold them like I said cos she s so greedy she'd just swallow it !!! I hold the tip end with a piece of kitchen roll, just so that you can grip it. She'd probably manage it on her own like Delta if it was frozen... sounds cccccold though...although like I said she's that greedy I dont think she'd mind. Give them a try x

·
Registered
89 Posts
I do not want to admit this but Chloe has bitten me. Hard. Never been bit by a dog before. I almost fainted. She drew blood with a puncture wound. This happened last Sunday...........Owning a Pit, well this is hard to admit I made a mistake. Don't they say," No bad dogs just bad owners. First of all I wanted her to assert herself with Meffy. Wrong! So when she growled at him I let it go. Well, she downright attacked him. I had to pull her off, Meffy's neck swelled. She came back at me in her frenzy. I can't believe the power in her! Did he react? No, he waited for me to take care of it. Good thing or I would have a dead cockapoo. I howled all day and let her see and smell the puncture. Meffy knew and he followed me all day. So, how do I undo this mistake I have done with the pack? I'm guessing I have let her be pack leader cause she is so little and cute. Help looking for ideas.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
what startted it, was it a toy or food ? did she turn on you as soon as you pulled her away or was their a paws and then she went for your.

apart for Delta i have found that every time a new pup comes into the hose the new pup take the dom role. i would say treat her the same way your treated your pit when you were training him.

Echo is a bugger, she has fights with Inca sometimes over nothing, but the funny thing is she is always on the floor withInca ontop. if i have to seperate them i need to grab Echo because is i took Inca Echo would just falow and keep tring to fight, where as Inca doesnt. this is how i know it is Echo who starts the fight.

how old is she again.

you should be very proude of Meffy(love the name, does it mean something?) as he acepted your role and that you would sort out Chloe, alot of hard work must have gone into him.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Kendel
Glad to hear others have the same issues. Chloe will be 1 year Feb. 1. She has been with me since last June. Meffy is 15 years old. Chloe was not allowed to puppy play with him unattended because of his age and I noticed she took advantage of him.
The fight was over food! I was eating and Chloe was at my feet and Meffy came beside me and she went for him. Chloe bit me when I had my hand at Meffy's neck pushing him one way and pulling her another. She lost her grip and went for the neck again and my hand was somewhere there!! So fast !! She was so mad is what scares me.
Meffy's name ??? You know how sometimes you see something going on but you don't get involved? Well, I got involved with a street corner and a guy ruffing up a pup who's name was Meth I was told. All said and done I wasn't leaving till I got that dog away from the drug addict. I tried to find that dog a home, but it didn't work out that way. I didn't know it would be so hard. I changed his name to Meffy and life went on.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
she was garding your food, i would not let her sit anywhere near you. give her a chew or something and sent her to the door mat or in her bed or simply in a corner somewhere. but nowhere near you. Delta is a bit like that with our cat she will have a snap if the cat is getting to close to food that she wants where i am making it for her or not.

from what i have red about the bite your cant was in the wrong place, she was aiming fpr poor Meffy. not condoning it but i dont think it was deliberet that you got hurt.

i would recomed your teach her tolerance, feed Meffy first, give him a treat first, at toy first a chew first. make her sit and wait till he is finneshed or till you think seh is relaxed or behaving herself. keep her on a lead if you dont trust her. that way she cant do anything you dont want.

because of Echo's problems with Inca, it used to be if Inca even walked past a bone or toy Echo thaught was hers or didnt want her to have even though Echos wasnt playing with or chewing it, she would lonch herself at Inca, so if i braught out a bone i would make Echo sit and watch and know that I was choising to give MY bone to Inca, and did the same when we got Delta, it has worked so well withg Delta that i can get bothe Echo and Delta eating the same bone at the same time.

because of Meffys placid nature i would encorige her to see him as the leades (but your 2nd in comand as you are the utimet leader in the house)

another thing you can do is po a lead on her and set up a similer situation where you think with set of the same reaction. this way you know its coming and you already have the upper hand. if she tries to attac him again give her a sharp tug on the lean and tell her no or leave os something that she will; learn means to stop what she is doing.

please do take this the wrong way, i think you have just let yourself slip into a faulse sense of sicurity because she is a small fluffy breed compaired to your big strong boy who you know needed a firm hand. i think you may need to think of her as a bigger dog than she is, if you get what im saying. but i have no doubt that you will get it sorted. and i think Meffy will help with his calm nature.

good luck let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Sounds like great advice I think you'll sort it J Maree . Great story about Meffy...lucky for him you came along x

·
Registered
89 Posts
Very good info Kendel. I think I will try your advice. I do not take offense to what you said. I like to hear what others have to say. Sometimes we are so close to what is going on we just can't see it. I must be letting Chloe have the little dog who thinks she's a big dog. All the power cause she is cute.
Thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts
J Maree, don't ever be embarrassed here! There are so many different levels of experience on this board, and even the experienced ones were new at it sometime! I'm sure things like this have happened a lot.
I have heard a lot about misjudging smaller dogs and coddling them a bit because they're so small and cute, which in turns lets them get away with murder! I think that you will have a lot of luck doing the things Kendal suggested and just reaffirming that you are the pack leader and she has to fall in line in order for her to get what she wants. What a great pit bull you have as well. Great job training him!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, I guess it doesn't matter how long we have been around dogs there is always something new to learn.

I will never get it exactly right cause I am human and dogs are dogs. Boy what a mix. I mostly go by reading how they move and act.

Thanks for your comment

21 - 35 of 35 Posts