I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 6 mouth old cockerpoo as now bitten myself and girlfriend.....both occasions we have tried to take something from him he should not have had....i.e shoe..he grips onto it and will not let go...today I took it from him and then he snapped back and bit.
What should I be doing?..as I am sure it will happen again? He also does it if he jumps onto chair and we try to lift him down.

Thanks
Lee

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
This is called resource guarding and you need to handle it carefully or you are going to have a much bigger problem on your hands. Your dog thinks the things he has are valuable and you are increasing their value by being determined to take them off him. From his point of view he has no wish to bite you he just wants to keep the item he has or stay on the seat he is on and you are the ones being aggressive by forcing him to move or give up his item. He will have tried to tell you this by growling or showing his teeth but you are not listening.

Get a trainer on board now who will help you resolve things - https://apdt.co.uk/find-a-trainer/

In the meantime do not confront him and use other ways to get things back or move him. Opening back door and going into garden, picking a ball up for a game, opening the fridge door, picking lead up to go for a walk are all the types of things you can do to avoid confrontation.

At six months this is very resolvable but you need to get a decent professional trainer involved as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
our cockapoo is doing this too but only for the last week or so, she only does it with items she gets that she knows she should not have (sticks, snail shells, shoes etc) i can put my hand in her food bowl while she is eating and she does nothing or even licks my hand and we can take toys from her to throw and no she just gets excited and chases it but try and take something she should not have and she growl and snarls and has even gone to bite a cpl times, at the moment she has a cone on and back paws bandaged ( been spayed and had double dew claws removed) so we assumed she was just agitated with her situation (before we could show her a treat and she would drop whatever she had in exchage for it but not anymore) but after reading up i noticed it is quite common with cockapoos,

thank you for the advice above im going to try this and hope once she is all well it may stop xx

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Awwwww your poor girl Katrina, she will be feeling much more vulnerable whilst she is recovering and that will make her more likely to guard.

They need to learn that us taking things off them is good so with things she is happy for you to take you can take them, give her a tasty treat and then give them back to her so she welcomes you taking things rather than fears it

·
Registered
385 Posts
It’s not nice when your dog bites you , it’s only happened to me once , I was unpacking my shopping, took some cream cakes out of packages and stupidly let Louis like the cream off my finger , I turned my back and he had stolen them off the worktop , I was cross and tried to take them from him and he made a mess of my hand , absolutely shocked but looking back it was probably my fault . I won’t put myself in that position again , will just walk away and try to entice him with a toy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I need to get something away from my dog, and I can see that he is in "resource guarding" mode, I approach him with a tiny treat, like some cheese or a corner of a dog biscuit. Depending on how attached he is to his "thing," I may have to bring a high-value treat. Sometimes the dog biscuit is not enough for him to consider letting go of what he has. Cheese almost always works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our 6 mouth old cockerpoo as now bitten myself and girlfriend.....both occasions we have tried to take something from him he should not have had....i.e shoe..he grips onto it and will not let go...today I took it from him and then he snapped back and bit.
What should I be doing?..as I am sure it will happen again? He also does it if he jumps onto chair and we try to lift him down.

Thanks
Lee
Congrats on your new family member. We trained our cockapoo this way: when Boomer takes a shoe, we get a treat (we use one kernel of his food, which we also use as a treat.) and say "drop it." Keep saying "drop it" every few seconds. If he doesn't drop it, just walk away and say "OK, no treat." Then ignore him. He's just trying to play a power game with you. Get a used clean rag and let him grab the rag, then say "drop it." Of course the challenge is being patient. The first time he drops it, give him the *treat" and praise him. When he's on the couch, get the piece of food and say "off the couch" while showing him the treat. Keep moving away from the couch and when he finally gets off, and comes to you for his treat, praise him and give him the treat. Keep doing this. Now he knows 2 commands. "Drop it" and off "the couch." Say the commands with slightly different tones/inflections. They don't learn the words. They do remember the tones/inflections. I hope I explained this well. It's late at night and I'm tired, though I wanted to help you. I once saw a neighbor's dog pick up a puppy and was about to run off with it, when the neighbor screamed "drop it." And that's exactly what the dog did. It takes repetition, lots of it and after awhile he'll understand, and after awhile you won't have to keep rewarding him. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts