I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

my boy has turned 22 weeks old. He’s a mini cockapoo. I read online that by 4-5 months puppies should have full bladder control, but he still goes for a wee every couple of hours during the day and overnight, the only way to get him to sleep through is to have him sleep in bed with me. I still have pee pads in my balcony since I can’t go out every two hours (WFH) and I wondered if anyone had a similar experience. How long did it take to get your pup to hold it for walks? He goes on 4 walks a day - two of which include fetch/run. And in the morning, I still can’t have him hold it until we go outside for a walk. How did you do that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Pups will vary on when they get full control and it sounds a little like he has it overnight if he can sleep through if he sleeps in your bed?

First thing in the morning most animals and humans will need to go for a pee first thing so I think if you want all toileting outside not on the balcony you need a quick walk first thing even if it just a very quick trip to the nearest patch of grass and then back home for breakfast.

My adults would certainly cope with 4 toilet breaks per day but would need one first thing in the morning and one last thing before bed ideally.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi everyone

my boy has turned 22 weeks old. He’s a mini cockapoo. I read online that by 4-5 months puppies should have full bladder control, but he still goes for a wee every couple of hours during the day and overnight, the only way to get him to sleep through is to have him sleep in bed with me. I still have pee pads in my balcony since I can’t go out every two hours (WFH) and I wondered if anyone had a similar experience. How long did it take to get your pup to hold it for walks? He goes on 4 walks a day - two of which include fetch/run. And in the morning, I still can’t have him hold it until we go outside for a walk. How did you do that?

Thanks!
The American Kennel Club says that as a rule of paw thumb, dogs can control their bladders for as many hours as they are months old (up to about nine months). So your four-month-old Cockapoo should be OK to hold it in for about four hours. However, puppies typically need to go out first thing in the morning and after napping, eating, and playing and again before bed (so yeah, pretty often).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts