I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So sorry if this has already been posted or if its common knowledge but i just read a news story about a family pet who died very swiftly after ingesting water while paddling in lake windermere in the lake district. This caught my eye as our beloved Tilly had a paddle in there a week ago!

I had never even heard of the risk but the algae is most likely in late summer and occurs mainly in still water such as ponds and lakes. As mentioned above it can be swiftly fatal to dogs so if you, like me was not aware it is worth a little research.

I'm posting from my phone so its a bit fiddly to add links but a quick google search will bring up the relevant info.

Fortunately Tilly was fine but this was more by luck than judgement on our part. It could be that i'm overreacting but the story was pretty upsetting and when reading this forum i can see that we all feel the same about our cockapoos!

Again sorry if this should be posted elsewhere or has been discussed but better safe than sorry.

Paul.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Hi yes its quite a common thing for lakes and ponds which are basically stagnant water. usually in a hot and dryish summer is worst. The aquadrome which is quite local to us and where there was a cockapoo meet earlier in the year, has a problem with this sometimes but they are good about putting up warning ssigns for dog owners but once you are aware of the risks and the condititions which cause the algae to bloom, its easy to use common sense around lakes and ponds. Weller always takes a dip in the aquadrome so we just don't go there when its risky. Its just when anyone as a dog owner aren't aware of the danger that accidents seem to happen. Don't worry too much and just stay clear if you aren't sure of the water :)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
My Irish Wolfhound died because he drank algaed water at Rutland Water many years ago. Once it gets to mid summer, I keep Dylan away from lakes and only allow him to swim in the rivers.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Thank you for posting the warning. We have a large lake at Whitlingham Lane in Norwich that has warning signs up about this problem :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
We went to Rutland water last weekend and there were signs up about it so no paddling for Eddie!

As we were driving out we saw a family with a very wet dog :( they obviously didn't take notice of the signs!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts