I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been trying Bo with her collar and she's getting used to it. Have attached the lead to it in the house and let it trail around after her. But when I try to walk along the hall with her she refuses to budge. How am I going to take her for a walk outside if she won't move in the house? Thanks.

Andrea x

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Hi Andrea .. the excitemnet of going outside may change how Bo acts on the lead. Stick with it she will soon get the hang of it. Lots of praise and treats when she is walking nicely on her lead and she will soon realise the lead and walks are fun.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
pullling her will get you no where star doing some heal work with the lead dragging using treats. then work up to holdint the lead. and you should beable to walk her.

dont use shop baught treets. use something with a strong smell. high value that she will want over anything els.

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Lots of puppies do this. It's just something new that they have to get used to. I ended up leaving the collar and lead on whilst in the house and let it trail behind so he got used to it. If you do this though you need to supervise constantly incase the the lead catches on anything and they get trapped.

edit: Sorry just re-read your post and see you're already trying this...definitely coax along with some high value treats such as cheese, cooked chicken, liver. Let Bo see/smell the treat and then place it on the floor a few feet away then see if Bo will walk to get it whilst you hold the lead.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Olive won't walk on a leash either so i've been taking her outside on it when she has to go potty. I hold it and follow her around. That way i'm not pulling on it, but she is getting used to being attached to it. I've also started to walk as far as the leash will let me walk away from her (without pulling) and then holding a treat so she'll walk to me. She'll do anything for a treat so that works well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sound advice from everyone on here already. High value treats (try hot dog or cheese) and try to lead them alongside you. If they aren't interested in the treat, then try a different type.

During the inside walking bit, Boston used to chew his lead all the time and I thought our walks outside were going to be a nightmare. Now we walk outside, he couldn't give two hoots about chewing his lead. Their behaviour outside is very different to inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.