I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

Bridgeways Cockapoos (Rayners Cockapoos)

20K views 64 replies 17 participants last post by  Sezra 
#1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone on here bought their cockapoo from Bridgeways Cockapoos in hoddesdon Hertfordshire?

#8 ·
Hi Woo,

Yes we are certainly an organisation that offers help, support and assistance to any that ask. We are building a database of people both looking to offer Foster Homes as well as Forever Homes for any Cockapoo.

Thankfully there are not many that get offered - more often than not someone's family or friends soon come forward to help.

As a Club we have been offered Cockapoos for re-homing from just 14 weeks old (Thankfully we were able to assist with this particular puppy being able to finding a new home within 24 hour with members of the original owner's own family) - through to older dogs.

Obviously we treat everything with the utmost respect and confidentially - and look to place a dog with minimal distress to both dog and owner.

If anyone were looking into offering a home (short-term / long-term fostering - or a Forever Home for a deserving case) then we would welcome details via the Club.

Stephen X

#10 ·
Hi Woo

Biscuit is not from there but her stud dog Harry is Biscuit's father. When we bought Biscuit, our breeder advertised that the stud was PRA tested but when I asked my breeder for a copy I was told that she had made a mistake and that it was just the annual BVA test. However, Harry has since been tested and thankfully had a clear PRA result, which she has since sent me a copy of. However, I have yet to be sent his pedigree, despite emailing a few times, as the scanned copy was too small to read. However, on the upside, Harry is advertised as a stud having an outstanding temperament, loving nothing more than cuddles, etc and I can only say that Biscuit has been the easiest puppy I could have imagined. The cockapoos on her website look so much like Biscuit, so I would imagine are from the same father.

#11 ·
Hi Jane,

And thanks for that information. I am due to go and visit her in a few weeks re getting a dog from her around June time. I can't see Biscuit (love the name) very well in the picture but Harry is the stud for the litters that she has due soon.

Regards,
Woo

#12 ·
Hi Woo

Biscuit isn't actually on her webiste, but he looks a lot like the one on the left of the two paler ones on her homepage. I get the impression that dogs are her life and she puts a lot of time and care into the puppies once they are born. I have never actually met her as it was my own breeder who used her stud dog so I wouldn't be able to comment on her as an actual breeder. I was just a bit surprised that Harry hadn't been PRA tested, as she has been a breeder for about 6 years and Harry has already sired many litters.

Would be very interested to hear how you get on as Harry looks like a lovely poodle.

#15 ·
Hi Woo, we're hoping to get a puppy from Rayner too! We went over to meet her and her dogs the other week - they are all gorgeous and Harry is a real character - he leapt straight into my lap for a cuddle when we met him! She has three litters due over the next few weeks and all of the mums have lovely temperaments. She definitely seems to genuinely love her dogs and they seem very happy in her home.

Hopefully we'll both be able to post some exciting news in the next few weeks.
Nicky
:)

#19 ·
Wow, it's great to see that a few people know of Rayner and have even met her and the dogs.

Jay, I knew about Cocoa's pups aswell. Bella has just had pups last week, sparkle (who I am looking at) is due anytime now, should have been yesterday but keeping us waiting!

Nicky, which mother are you hoping for a pup from?

Rayner also offers a doggy day care and boarding service, but the dogs are not kept in kennels they stay in her house, which is great to know. I have read nothing but good stuff about her as a breeder and as a day carer and border.

Lets hope we all get a wonderful little bundle of fluff soon :D

#21 ·
Hi Jane - yes Harry is small, I would say max 12" to shoulder. He is a lovely dog. I didn't see his certificate, must admit I didn't ask but I will next time we go.

Woo - we're looking at both Bella and Sparkle, just depends on who has what. I haven't heard from Rayner on either yet though but we are on her waiting list.

I look forward to hearing more from Jay & Woo, we can compare notes :)

#23 ·
Hello Woo
I have been to visit rayner twice and was looking at having a cockapoo puppy from her cocker spaniel Bella and miniture poodle Harry!
After making the two visits and asking lots of questions i decided not to go ahead with getting a dog from her.

Rayner is a nice lady and her dogs too, but when i started to ask question she seemed to go off the answers and on to other things, i did get a few of my question answered but alot where not and some of the answers started alarm bells ringing for me? I was only ever taken to the living room area no where else in the home.

I would say ask all your questions and make sure you get the answers?
See if she will let you go in any other areas of the home Where the dogs spend any time?

This is my own experience and you will make your own chioces from when you visit her.
I wish you all the best in your search for a healthy social cockapoo

mandy

#30 ·
hi woo
no i have not got my dog yet, but we are still looking and i wont get one till im really happy with the breeder, i dont mind how long it takes because im in no hurry.

i know how you feel when you say that your going round in circles, but all you have to do is go and see for yourself, if you are happy with the breeder and what you see and what they tell you about then go with your gut feelings, if at any time you have any doubts then dont go with that breeder.

if i was you i would go and see rayner at bridgeways just because it was not for me does not mean that you should not go on a fact finding visit to see for yourself.

threre are lots of breeders out there, so you will find your cockapoo in the end.

if you are around next sunday there is a dog meet happening, where you can meet lots of cockapoos and their owners and see which sort of cocka you like the look of and im sure they will be happy to answer some of your concerns.

good luck
mandy

#25 ·
Hi Mandy

That's interesting as my cockapoo's father is Harry. My breeder used him as her stud. However, I was surprised that we was not PRA tested until after I asked my breeder and had already sired many litters. Rayner kindly sent me the PRA certificate and offered to send his pedigree too. However, she scanned it and it came through too tiny on the email. After several email requests for her to send it in the post, I have never heard back from her......He is not KC registered either. Alarm bells rang with me too to be honest. I also wonder how she can manage 3 litters at once?

However, that's just my experience. Just make sure you see the relevant paperwork before you commit to anything. We are planning to buy another cockapoo and I will make sure that all health tests and registration is in place before I buy.

#26 ·
Oh dear, I'm having doubts now about going to her!
Please can someone advise me what questions I should be asking a breeder?????

I know to ask about the PRA, and to see the pups with the mother and see the father if possible, but is there other important things I should ask?

#29 ·
Hi Woo,

Just a heads-up on the PRA test: - Always make sure at least one of the parents is actually "DNA tested for PRA" ! - as long as one of the parents is DNA tested "Clear / Normal" you will be OK - even if the other parent is a "Carrier" (or even if the other parent happens to be "Affected"- though the pups will end up a "carrier" as a result of this mating).

Some breeders claim to have a "clear eye tests for PRA" - this is the BVA test - but this is an annual test and it just says whether or not the dog is affected or not on that given day - so not conclusive enough in reality (and cannot tell if the dog is a carrier or not).....though the BVA test is good for testing for Glaucoma.

Here is the link to the CCGB's Health Testing page:

http://www.cockapooclubgb.co.uk/health-testing.html

Hope this helps.

Stephen X

#27 ·
Sorry Woo! I don't want to put you off but I have to be truthful about my experiences which I have learnt dearly from. I have health/parentage concerns about our cockapoo that I won't go into here but for our next pup I would request to see the certificates of health testing and would personally want the dogs to be KC registered, complete with pedigree certification before I even looked at the pups. I feel this documentation should be an automatic addition to any puppy pack and I had great hassles getting hold of mine.

If you google the Cockapoo Club of GB, there is a wealth of info there about buying a new puppy. I only wish I had joined all these sites before getting ours!

Hope that helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.