I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

As you know, I've been on the search for an apricot or brown Cockapoo (Working Cocker cross) for a while now.

I contacted Anne at Broadreach Dogs a while ago and she was only due blacks. I got in contact yesterday and she has mated two girls - a pale golden girl with her apricot Poodle and a black and white girl with her apricot Poodle.

I was happy with how our conversation went and she fulfits a lot of the things that we are looking for in a breeder if we were to go for a larger-scale one - health checks, raising puppies inside, not too many litters on the go at one time - etc.

Her puppies are £950 - quite steep as Cockapoos go I'd say but not so high I'd rule her puppies out altogether. The hobby breeder we are speaking to sells their pups at £650 and whilst the stud Poodle they use has been PRA tested their pet bitch (as far as I know) has not had Gomoscopy, PRA or hip-scoring tests. The price also does not include innoculations, microchipping or insurance so in fact in fact the lower price would probably be a false economy!

Anyway, back to the point of the piost - does anyone on the forum has one of Anne's puppies?

Turi x

· Registered
1,584 Posts
I think the Broadreach breeder needs to amend her write up!!

It doesn't look very good if she is advertising that her dogs have been tested for something that doesn't exist!!

It is not Gomoscopy but Gonioscopy- hopefully just a typo!!!

This breeder rings a bell-sure it has been discussed on another forum- but sorry cannot remember.:eek:

Best speak to Mia's mummy as she has one from there.

Microchipping is only around £10-15.

Not all breeders vaccinate as you would only have the one shot and still have to go to your vet for the other.

The insurance they give is a free one that is normally from Petplan and lasts for about 4 wks.

However the other tests ( if correct) that Broadreach has had done is great!!!

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the Broadreach breeder needs to amend her write up!!It doesn't look very good if she is advertising that her dogs have been tested for something that doesn't exist!!It is not Gomoscopy but Gonioscopy- hopefully just a typo!!!This breeder rings a bell-sure it has been discussed on another forum- but sorry cannot remember.:eek: Best speak to Mia's mummy as she has one from there. Microchipping is only around £10-15. Not all breeders vaccinate as you would only have the one shot and still have to go to your vet for the other. The insurance they give is a free one that is normally from Petplan and lasts for about 4 wks. However the other tests ( if correct) that Broadreach has had done is great!!!
Shirley, I knew I'd be able to rely on your knowledge when it came to health testing :D. Thank you.

I spoke to our vet today - they use Vanguard 7. For the first and second vaccination they charge £68.35 (for just the second they charge £45.06) and they charge £25.48 for microchipping (London is always more expensive :rolleyes:). So in actual fact if we did get a puppy that was, for arguments sake £650, the total cost including microchipping and first vaccination (let's assume for argument's sake that the first vaccination alone would cost £45.06 on its own as well) the total would come to around £750.

Hmmm, now I've done the maths that extra £200 seems difficult to justify.

Do Cocker mums need to be PRA tested if the Dad is clear and you don't intend to breed?

Do Cocker mums need to be hip-scored? I've never heard of hip problems with Cockers?

Turi x

P.S. Please know that I love looking at all the facts and for those who don't 'know' me I'm not basing my puppy-choosing choice on costs alone :eek:

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Do Cocker mums need to be PRA tested if the Dad is clear and you don't intend to breed?
If you do not intend to breed your pup then the mum does not also need to be tested for PRA, if the poodle dad is clear then the pup will not produce it, the only possible outcome would be that the pup could be a carrier of the gene but if you don't intend to breed then that isn't a problem :)
That's the only question I can answer x

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you do not intend to breed your pup then the mum does not also need to be tested for PRA, if the poodle dad is clear then the pup will not produce it, the only possible outcome would be that the pup could be a carrier of the gene but if you don't intend to breed then that isn't a problem :)
That's the only question I can answer x
Thanks Laura x

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Registered
80 Posts
We collected our puppy last Sunday from Broadreach dogs:). As a family who had not previousally had a puppy we wanted to get where dog was PRA tested. We were happy with the set up when we visited.Anne seems very knowledgable and was only one of two breeders who asked if we worked,what hours and how would we manage when at work looking after the puppy.
When we collected copies of all health testing was provided together with copies of 5 generation pedigree . Dad was PRA tested and BVA tested, mum BVA tested and Gomoscopy.
Anne does not provide insurance, but from our vets had a Petplan leaflet which you could get 4 weeks free insurance with.
Don't know if that helps.

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We collected our puppy last Sunday from Broadreach dogs:). As a family who had not previousally had a puppy we wanted to get where dog was PRA tested. We were happy with the set up when we visited.Anne seems very knowledgable and was only one of two breeders who asked if we worked,what hours and how would we manage when at work looking after the puppy.
When we collected copies of all health testing was provided together with copies of 5 generation pedigree . Dad was PRA tested and BVA tested, mum BVA tested and Gomoscopy.
Anne does not provide insurance, but from our vets had a Petplan leaflet which you could get 4 weeks free insurance with.
Don't know if that helps.
Hi Rustler,

Thank you for your post - very helpful indeed!

I don't think I've seen you on here before? Welcome!

How are you finding your first week with your new Cockapoo? Any pics?

Turi x

· Registered
80 Posts
Hi Rustler,

Thank you for your post - very helpful indeed!

I don't think I've seen you on here before? Welcome!

How are you finding your first week with your new Cockapoo? Any pics?

Turi x
Thanks Turi,
The first week has been great, Stevie is so cute;)
She's getting the hang of the toilet training as long as we take her out every hour,her crate has been clean every morning, still cries when goes to bed but early days.
I do have pictures but I'm not very good with IT and haven't managed to load them. Thought I'd loaded a profile picture but it only comes up when I go into User CP, not when I post :(
I forgot to mention Anne's vet used Nobivac so another factor to take into consideration is I believe if the vaccination your vet used compatible with this. If it isn't they may have to buy it in or start again with vaccinations which may be more costly.
This is what I was advised but I know here are other ILMC owners who have heaps of experience and could advise you on this.
Good luck with your search, it really is worth it.

· Registered
3,583 Posts
Rustler, the easiest way to up load a photo is open a Photobucket.com account. Download your pictures into there and when you hover over the uploaded picture a box appears showing 4 options. Choose the IMG code, just click on it and it says Copied.

Back on ILMC sight, just paste it into the message box.

Hope that helps.

· Registered
8,349 Posts
Thanks Turi,
The first week has been great, Stevie is so cute;)
She's getting the hang of the toilet training as long as we take her out every hour,her crate has been clean every morning, still cries when goes to bed but early days.
I do have pictures but I'm not very good with IT and haven't managed to load them. Thought I'd loaded a profile picture but it only comes up when I go into User CP, not when I post :(
I forgot to mention Anne's vet used Nobivac so another factor to take into consideration is I believe if the vaccination your vet used compatible with this. If it isn't they may have to buy it in or start again with vaccinations which may be more costly.
This is what I was advised but I know here are other ILMC owners who have heaps of experience and could advise you on this.
Good luck with your search, it really is worth it.
Hi Rustler .. so pleased you are happy with Stevie .... now just enjoy being a cockapoo mummy xxx

Enjoy toilet training .. its does all work out in the end ... xxx

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.