I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel sick to the stomach writing this and hope by telling you all it will stop this happening to any other puppy out there.

Today i opened the front door to my friend and Buddy pushed passed me and shot out of the door,now this is ok because where we live its in a courtyard and the country lane isnt too close.
Now normally when Buddy has done this before a quick call and he'll come back in however today he saw the gardener over at the church (which is opposite the lane)and ran so fast to get to him i couldnt catch him.At this point i was scream and crying thinking omg any moment now a car is going to come round the corner.

I dont know why but thank god he did it but he stopped at the top of the courtyard just as a motorbike came round the corner followed by a car (both but brakes on and skidded!) he then waited for them to pass but then still ran across the road to get to the gardener !!! thank god no more traffic!

I grabbed him just as he got to the church omg ive been crying all afternoon i cant believe i was so stupid to think he was safe out the front ,and i cant beleive we nearly lost him.:cry2:

I feel so angry with myself.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Dont be so hard on yourself .. it was just a mistake anyone of us could make ... Oakley and Honey would be off like rockets too .. I am sure ...

He is safe ... please dont let this upset you any more .. it wont happen again.. we are only human .. I know many people whos dogs have escaped for one reseon or another..

Big hug coming your way xxxxxx

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Oh Donna, don't be angry with yourself, they are very nippy at times and very determined! It must have a very scary moment and thank goodness Buddy was ok. Sending hugs :hug: x

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Don't blame yourself, its a lesson learned and you'll be more vigilant in the future. Betty shot off once down the lane at the back of my flat where previously she'd always walked with me but this time she'd got the scent of a kebab dropped on the path round the corner. I was screaming at her to stop as was worried she would run into the road at the end of the lane and luckily she stayed on the path, but like you i was in pieces over it.

Just glad he is ok. x

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hey Donna 'There but for the grace of god' its happened to us all:eek: I lost that many dogs out the back of RAF van's its unreal, but I got away with it:) It certainly has been a baptism of fire with Buddy but you will look back on all of his antics and laugh:cool:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
A lot of us have been in your situation - they are nippy little blighters, aren't they? Thank goodness he is safe, bless 'im.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Donna you poor thing, it is such a shock, I have nightmares about 'what if' all the time, I was the same with my kids when they were little. I have a stair gate across the hall to ensure this doesn't happen in our house as we live on a village high street and there are so many crazy fast drivers here.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
had a scare like that with Inca at night in the dark and she is black i couldnt see her. since then i have always tried to instill in my puppies that the front door can be open and they dont cross it. but i still dont fully trust it.

glad everything was ok and he was very clever for stopping. give him a cuddle and just chill for tonight.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi Donna

Hope you're ok now - big hugs :)

Please don't worry - exactly the same thing happened to us a couple of weeks ago. Hubby opened the front door to get the milk in and normally Biscuit stays inside and watches. However, this particular day she shot out of the front door and started running at speed down the road. We live in a quiet cul-de-sac, BUT the extremely busy main road is just around the corner and we were terrified she would be runover as we always have to cross this road at the traffic lights to go on all our walks so this is where she was heading.

We shouted, well screamed, for her to come back but she ignored us. Then shouted Biscuit FOOD as loudly as possible and luckily she turned round and ran home as she hadn't been given her breakfast yet. We were really shaken up because if we had chased her I know she would only have run faster as she would have thought it was a game.

Now if anyone comes to the front door we tell her to go in her crate and shut her in while we answer the door as she is so fast and strong now that we wouldn't trust her not to try and shoot past them. We live in an open plan house so haven't got a hall with doors to keep her safe.

I'm sure it's happened to lots of us and if Buddy is anything like Biscuit he goes deaf when outside and something more interesting is happening :eek: Hugs, Karen xx

·
Registered
858 Posts
Oh Donna thank goodness Buddy is ok. Something like that makes you realise how much they mean to you. They are such little blighters. We live on a country lane too and have a slip lead always hanging by the door. If someone knocks on the door we therefore slip it on her quickly. Just a thought?? Xx

·
Registered
389 Posts
So glad Buddy is ok! Chloe once ran full speed out our front door, right out of our cul-de-sac, and it was so scary. Not like she was looking where she was going,either! My son has a friend whose dog was just killed by a car a few days ago , heartbreaking. I really have to work on recall with Chloe; she has never been good at that.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was looking after a 10 month old cockapoo who I wasn't allowed to let off the lead, he shot out of the front door ran to the end of my drive and looked back at me, after a moment of panic, I patted my legs, said come on then turned and went back into the house, it was the hardest thing I ever did, but he came straight in. I'd never have caught him any other way. It's a lesson we all have to learn, luckily you had the best outcome.:)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
What a scare Donna. Buddy, Buddy, Buddy!

It's the thing I've always feared and so I have a rather fetching wooden stairgate between my lounge and hallway. My dogs always stay behind the stairgate which also prevents them going upstairs or into my son's bedroom which is on the ground floor. They have the run of the lounge, kitchen, conservatory and patio. I guess we're lucky that the design of our house lends itself to such barriers and the whole family are now trained (finally!) to close it as they go through.

As you've read, it has happened to a lot of people, so put your feet up and have a large glass of wine!

Karen xx

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Donna, don't beat yourself up about it. He's ok...now breathe! :) Sometimes we need these things to remind us to be careful.

I live on quite a busy road (busier than I realised when we bought the house) and I'm ultra careful when opening the door. I either shut Obi in the kitchen or if he manages to follow me I just pick him up. Most people are quite pleased to be greeted by a big ball of black fur trying to jump out of my arms to lick them! :D

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
OMG Donna , I opened this post and it was deja vu! Thank god Buddy is safe, George did nearly exactly the same yesterday. We were walking along the main road near our house, he saw a labrador on the same side as us and twisted around and I lost my grip of his lead! He ended up on the road with me screaming frantically, I really that that was the end. It's so frightening isn't it. Felt so guilty and annoyed at myself so I know exactly how you are feeling. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all your kind posts,Harri im going to use your idea of a slip lead next to the door thanks.
We have been trying to shut him in a room when the door goes but he's so quick my children forget and sometimes its taken me 5-10mins of chaseing him round the house to catch him so the slip lead sounds like an idea.

On a funnier note when i toke Buddy out for his evening wee before bed i opened the back door to find a three legged newt stareing at me???? Jesus i have a starnge life!!! God knows why it only had three legs??

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Thanks for all your kind posts,Harri im going to use your idea of a slip lead next to the door thanks.
We have been trying to shut him in a room when the door goes but he's so quick my children forget and sometimes its taken me 5-10mins of chaseing him round the house to catch him so the slip lead sounds like an idea.

On a funnier note when i toke Buddy out for his evening wee before bed i opened the back door to find a three legged newt stareing at me???? Jesus i have a starnge life!!! God knows why it only had three legs??
Buddy? !!! Lol :D:D:D

·
Registered
573 Posts
Donna - Oh thank goodness he is Ok - [[[hugs]]]
Buddy you just listen - you cannot go and meet and greet everyone you friendly fella - Mummy needs you to stay safe from the road ..... and if you have had a newt leg for snack time be careful! Treacle ate a frog and was very sick!
Love him x

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks but i dont think he ate the newts leg it was before id let him out?? Just thought what a strange sight to see on an evening and we have no water near us so god knows where it came from??Mind you also had a grass snake slither passed me the other day yuck!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts