I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
just wondered if anyone has any opinions on Burns and Barking Heads? We have fed our 8 year old wheaten for years on Burns, as we were advised it would help with his sensitive skin. On speaking to a new groomer today she said that wasnt the case at all, and advised Barking Heads. In her opinion Burns wasnt particularly good, it's apparently bland (i do have to mix a bit of something tasty in it to get Ted to eat it), although touch wood he has never been ill. Ozzie eats anything thats put in front of him at the moment, so if we are going to change we really need to do so now
Any advice would be appreciated
x

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Barking Heads has very good reviews high protein content, no chemicals, enhancers or additives but does contain grain. Mine both really liked it when I fed it x

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
We're in the process of swapping Lolly to Barking Heads. she was on Arden Grange but I was advised by an independent pet shop that Barking Heads is better and the website that rates dog food also gave it a better rating. Lolly eats anything so she's not fussed!! She's on the puppy one still as the packets says to use that until 1 year.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I fed both of mine Barking Heads but now doing that and half raw.

Burns does contain a high proportion of rice and I have heard some dogs do lose weight being on it- but some dogs do well on it too.

I am happy with Barking Heads and would recommend but at the end of the day all dogs are different and what ones likes another may not.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Fat Dog Slim makes me laugh ... my dogs don’t need that .. but hey their owner could do with it .. lol.. less cake and more Fat Dog Slim :)

Shirley .. which one did you recommend? I will go for puppy days ... but I think you did recommend a couple of others in the range :)

I have found a stockist near me .. so will be giving it a go ....

Still no samples which I am a little disappointed about :(

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I use Barking heads too, Weller has tried the fuss pot one (not that he is fussy) and the bad hair day, he loves both. you can actually smell the lamb in the bad hair day one and Also the salmon in fussy eater, which is good, rather than the same old bland smelling dog food!! Poos are excellent on this food, small firm and not much of it. Can definately recommend it:)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Thank you Karen .. I have been looking for a food which I would be happy to feed my dogs ... and a food I feel happuy to wean any new pups onto .. so I am hoping this could be the one... it ticks all my boxes .. just hope my dogs like it :) ...

I have umm'ed and ahhh'ed about NI, full raw diet etc, but when I do have a litter I would prefer new owners to make their own mind up on the whole raw diet idea... therefore I do want to be able to recommend a natural, good quality dry food which the new owners may wish to continue.

My dogs are on Orijen, but it is very rich... so I would prefer a less meat heavy dry food for puppies, but natural ...

Barking Heads .. will be going on trial in JoJo's house .. hope the kids like it :) :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Hope you get your samples soon JoJo.

Mine alternate between Bad hair days ( lamb & rice) and Tending loving Care ( chicken & Rice) as Monty wasn't that keen on Fusspost ( salmon & rice).

Monty got BH as an adult but Milly started off on their puppy food puppy days and then was ready for adult food at 10 months.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Anyone had any experience with Wrainwrights puppy food? We got some and Vincent does seem to prefer it to the stuff the breeder was using.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Coco had Wrainwrights puppy food and he was fine on it and always finished his bowl. I changed him to JWB because I can get that locally but i"m going back to wrainwrights when he has finished the bag as his poo was alot better

·
Registered
853 Posts
Nacho is on Burns mini bites and he guzzles it down and his poo's are fine. I think it again comes down to your individual dogs. All tums are different. Nacho's can't be very sensitive - he swallowed his bell a couple of days ago (i like to be able to hear him if I can't see him when he's in the woods) - Luckily it came out the other end!!

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Yippy my Barking Heads samples are on their way :)

I will post a review of the products I test on My Dogs Life ....

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I used to feed Izzy Burns until she got fed up and I then had to a cube of Naturediet to get her to eat it. I changed to NI as she had dreadfully waxy ears, runny eyes and was always scratching. The NI did the trick.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Do they like it JoJo ? x
Karen it hasn't arrived yet ..... but I had some lovely emails from the company with confirmation my sample is on its way :)

It should be here Friday ... I have only heard good things about the products so I just hope my poos love it :)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Oh yippy my samples arrived yesterday .... and so far so good ....

What a fab range ... Puppy Days, Bad Hair Day, Fusspot, Tender Loving Care, .... I will be reviewing the whole product range on My Dogs Life ..... but need to test it all first ... Lucky cockapoos :)

I also have a small amount of Big Foot and Little Big Foot ... which would be great for larger breeds .. although it will be great at training treats ....

I love everything I have read about this company and their products .. I just hope my cockapoos like the range ... over to you Oakley and Honey ....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts