I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I have a 2 yr old Cockapoo with both epilepsy and allergies. This is our first pet and we love him very much, but it has been challenging. I found this Web page looking for allergy shampoo actually! I guess I'm just looking for support, because I myself deal with anxiety issues and having a Cockapoo with epilepsy...never knowing when a seizure may occur is not healthy for me and its horrible to watch and be helpless. We have a wonderful vet and neurologist who we trust. After an MRI and spinal tap, Buster is now on 3 meds for ideopathic epilepsy. And we are doing everything we can to give our little man the best possible life. I did want to mention that both poodles and cockers can be prone to epilepsy- it is in fact very common in any crossbreed dogs. Do we feel our breeder should of said something- I guess. But what can we do now but love little Buster. Any thoughts/advise/support would be helpful. Thank you.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
aww poor boy, i have none for a while that cockers suffered fromk epilipsy as part of the breed like begals are also pron to it too, wasnt sure about the poodles.

so far i have been incradable lucky in that touch wood, none one my gilrs have any health problams or alergys.

how has your insurance been for paying out for all his treatments. did you ever contact the breeder to say what was happening with him or to ask if he had herd this from other litters or and pups form his litter.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello :)

Sorry, that does sound very challenging! Yes, what can you do but love him, just as if he was your human baby. You sound like wonderful "parents" , by the way!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We thought long and hard about contacting the breeder, esp in the very beginning when we were just down right angry. But we never did, we'd love Buster regardless and to be honest I didn't have the energy to confront her. Our attention was on Buster's health.

We got Pet insurance from day 1 and they have been wonderful. They don't cover allergy related stuff but epilepsy, colds, meds, etc- they all cover once you meet the deductible.

I'm still figuring out how to use this forum. I've never done this before but there is a lot of good information on here. Thank you for replying!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
mose alergys can be sorted with the typ of food they are on, i am also a belever in magnetic collars but dont kn ow if they would do anything for his epilepsy i mainly sugest them for joint isues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts