I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you may have seen that our breeder has chosen to raw feed the puppies. :D I'm really happy about that! Coco is being weaned onto Natural instinct puppy food, seeing her eat it yesterday was lovely she was really tucking in!:D

So my first qs are:

How much do you buy at a time, and how much do you defrost?

If I want to introduce chicken wings, is one chicken wing classed as a whole meal? What other meat/bones can you feed?

What do you use for treats when training to compliment the raw feeding?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
How much you buy at a time depends on how much freezer space you have. I have a spare small chest freezer in the garage and order 40kg (40 tubs!) as a time as well as some chicken carcasses and lamb spines - that fills the freezer up and lasts a long time. They deliver free for 40kg or over.

I defrost a tub at a time (sometimes 2 if I'm mixing tripe flavour with another flavour). I've got 2 adult dogs though .... with one puppy you will need to work out amounts. It keeps OK in the fridge for 5 days.

I give Orijen as treats as well as tiny bits of hams, cheese, cooked chicken.

Natural Instinct is a great choice, they love it.:)

Sue x

·
Registered
534 Posts
Oh wow 40 tubs is free delivery? I can only usually order 6/7. But may be worth me asking friends and family to help store it ( as the stress if i run out!!!) I defrost one at a time but you can feed your dog if it is still frozen; they love the bits of ice in hot weather. I give Pushca one chicken wing at lunch time as a treat but not every day.
I use salmon, salmon skin or organic dog treats but she does get the occasional bit of cooked meat or naughty treats
Your dog will love NI and so will you

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I get about 10 tubs delivered at a time which fills up one drawer space in the freezer.

You can buy in 450g tubs or 1kg tubs. For a puppy you feed between 4%-6% of their body weight over 3-4 meals a day.

Originally I used to defrost a whole tub and divide it up using scales into individual portions. I bought a about 4 cheap tuppaware dishes so I kept the food in there. It just helped so I knew how much food to give. Now she's a full grown adult I just give her a portion size by eye.

Keep an eye on puppies body weight as they do gain quickly and you need to keep the food at the right amount.

You can also part defrost the food, cut it in half and put half back in the freezer. Do this if you think the 1kg will go on longer than 4-5 days.

As for treats, I use fresh cooked chicken pieces, frankfurter sausage, Natures Menu treats - cut in half for puppies, Coachies treats.

:)

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I really loved using NI - until Biscuit went off it! - I then tried Nature's Menu, which he loved until he went off that too! So I now do a mixture of Barking Heads/raw chicken wings and tinned mackerel. He goes mad for the chicken wings and I'm considering moving back to raw now that I've got a bit more fridge/freezer space. As a very young puppy I used to give a chicken wing as a whole meal as it's about 100g and he used to need 300g raw food a day at that point. He also loves a raw carrot (or two) a day.

The biggest bonus you will find with Coco is that she will have so much less poo than on some other foods! Definitely a big plus! x

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jane, Funny, I was thinking if all does not go to plan and either I can't cope, or Coco goes off it, then Barking heads mixed with parts raw like chicken wings, and so on was going to be my next plan. I bet tinned mackrel must be very good for them too. Good to see you can do both and it works well.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I think I put 10/12 1kg tubs in a drawer.

Millie went of her NI for a while, but I've discovered through trial and error it was the chicken she went off. Now her favourite is Beef Tripe. Not that you will need this info until 6 months old, when you can take the puppy food away and use the adult food, bar working dog.

Millie now has a bowl of NI (usually beef tripe) and a bowl of barking heads for when she fancies a change. No ideal as it all digests at different rates, but works for Millie.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Thanks, great advice as always, I think the fact you can cut it slightly defrosted and refreeze is great.

Very handy to know how many tubs fill a freexer drawer too, thanks.
I used to be able to get 10 tubs in a freezer drawer until they recently changed the tub size, now I can't stack them two high anyone and have to lie them on their side so can only get 8 in each drawer. On the upside have recently found a shop that stocks NI so I can now pick up locally at same price as internet but without postage. I never used the puppy version for Remy and put her straight on adult (not working as it has extra vitamin C, so not suitable for puppies) as it is exactly the same just ground very slightly finer.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I have the puppy version for Ted and the adult version for Betty but they always end up playing swapsies....so funny to watch. I am lucky that the NI head office/ outlet factory is just down the road from me so I am always popping in which is great as they often have things in which are not advertised on their website or in retail outlets. I found that a 1kg tub lasted long enough to use before it went off if kept refrigerated.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I used to be able to get 10 tubs in a freezer drawer until they recently changed the tub size, now I can't stack them two high anyone and have to lie them on their side so can only get 8 in each drawer. On the upside have recently found a shop that stocks NI so I can now pick up locally at same price as internet but without postage. I never used the puppy version for Remy and put her straight on adult (not working as it has extra vitamin C, so not suitable for puppies) as it is exactly the same just ground very slightly finer.
Hi there
Where is the shop please? I am in SE London but am happy to drive as feel NI p and P is a bit expensive. I use mobile pet foods in Eltham but they still charge
Thanks

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Mandy is not in your area so not sure the shop she is using is any good for you. The head office is in Camberley just off junction 4 off the m3...my local garden centre in Bagshot also stock it so it may be worth calling them to ask you nearest stockist.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I emailed them about their new packaging, they are impossible to open. They've changed supplier and now get the packaging made in the UK. They know they have teething problems. I haven't bought enough of the new style packaging to store them en mass in the freezer. It might well be worth emailing them to tell them that that too is a problem.

·
Banned
1,983 Posts
I prepare my own mix for all our dogs (think there are a few threads on it - and it is shown on the CCGB in more detail) - as we have ourselves gone from Royal Canine to Purina to Natural Instinct with a dabble with Nature's Menu and Fish4Dogs.

Personally I love the home-made option - a bit more hassle but I see the effect it has on my dogs (teeth and the 1970's pooh ! - practically odourless and goes white and crumbly - and extra benefits for nursing mums xx)

We provide free-vouchers for our puppies for a mix of BARF products - though we have found that they do tend to go off the "baby-food" texture of NI at around the 6 month old mark. Nature's Menu pouches have been great for the younger pups - though again prolonged use has seen a few turn their nose up at the consistency over a period of time (though the pouches are brilliant if you go away for a few days !).

Fish4Dogs is a dry kibble - it is our current feed of choice for the puppies - though we are now feeding it with our own BARF mix and / or with NI - and dogs' natural need (EMRA - as on the CCGB) is to chew - so adding the "crunch" of Fish4Dogs to the "flesh" of NI / BARF works a treat.

As for the amount - that is something that does not take too long to work out - as long as you use meal-times set at around 30mins each time - let them eat what they want within that time and add / take-away anything until meal-time ends.

Having seen and heard of so many tummy issues with dogs on a cheap cereal bulked meal - BARF is certainly the step in the right direction.

Stephen x

·
Registered
82 Posts
lve fed Buddy on NI as that was what the breeder had been feeding him hes nearly 1yr old now, hes really fit and healthy on it,he sometimes as times when he goes off it but it doesnt last long at one time l did try him on orijen but he wasnt very fussed, and the smell that came out the other end l was quite pleased he didnt, never get any problems with NI

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I prepare my own mix for all our dogs (think there are a few threads on it - and it is shown on the CCGB in more detail) - as we have ourselves gone from Royal Canine to Purina to Natural Instinct with a dabble with Nature's Menu and Fish4Dogs.

Personally I love the home-made option - a bit more hassle but I see the effect it has on my dogs (teeth and the 1970's pooh ! - practically odourless and goes white and crumbly - and extra benefits for nursing mums xx)

We provide free-vouchers for our puppies for a mix of BARF products - though we have found that they do tend to go off the "baby-food" texture of NI at around the 6 month old mark. Nature's Menu pouches have been great for the younger pups - though again prolonged use has seen a few turn their nose up at the consistency over a period of time (though the pouches are brilliant if you go away for a few da

Fish4Dogs is a dry kibble - it is our current feed of choice for the puppies - though we are now feeding it with our own BARF mix and / or with NI - and dogs' natural need (EMRA - as on the CCGB) is to chew - so adding the "crunch" of Fish4Dogs to the "flesh" of NI / BARF works a treat.

As for the amount - that is something that does not take too long to work out - as long as you use meal-times set at around 30mins each time - let them eat what they want within that time and add / take-away anything until meal-time ends.

Having seen and heard of so many tummy issues with dogs on a cheap cereal bulked meal - BARF is certainly the step in the right direction
Stephen x

Are you saying you feed kibble and raw at the same time??? I was under the impression that this was not a good idea as they would digest at different rates??

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I emailed them about their new packaging, they are impossible to open. They've changed supplier and now get the packaging made in the UK. They know they have teething problems. I haven't bought enough of the new style packaging to store them en mass in the freezer. It might well be worth emailing them to tell them that that too is a problem.
I'll give them a ring. If freezer drawers tend to be a standard size then other people will have the same problem. Luckily I had popped to the local shop and just got a few boxes. If I had placed an online order for my usual 20 boxes I'd have been caught out and wouldn't have been able to get 4 of them in the freezer and would have had to ask a neighbour to help out and store them. My girls have never gone off NI although I do vary their diet by giving carcass, wings, sprats, lamb spine etc for a few meals each week. Tomorrow they have half a rabbit each.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Omg ive found that to and i even cut my finger the first time i tryed to open one,i have found it easier if you squeeze the sides in then the lid pops off .

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Omg ive found that to and i even cut my finger the first time i tryed to open one,i have found it easier if you squeeze the sides in then the lid pops off .
I'll try that tip thanks. I spoke to them this morning and again mentioned the poor quality of their new tubs and impossible to open. The chap said something about EU Regs :mad: to which I replied, oh don't mention them to me, my hackles will rise :) and he said, imagine how we feel :D Point taken :)

He also suggested using a spoon to level off the new lids. Nothing like making things awkward :confused:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.