I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello just signed up today, stumbled across the site by researching on google :) Im so GLAD I found all of you. Heres Bree's Story. I got home one day about 2 weeks ago and as I open the door I see this moppy looking white little ball and I was like what is that... and when she lifted her head she had me at hello..lol My husband told me that his friend was trying to get rid of her and he thought she would be perfect for us. I really love her and Ive just had her about 2 weeks. I began reserching to see what type of breed she was and how big she will get and all that good stuff the more I read the more I wanted to keep her :) My boyz love her. Its been a bit of trouble to know when she needs to go pee outside. I've been taking her out about every 3 hours I feed her in the morning before I leave and then about 6ish when I get home. She currently is not eating and has gotten into some trouble already. She's peed inside 2 times, she great during dinner time and will lay by us we ignore her and she will be good but she has tried to get on the table when no one is around, she does not want her dog food she will smell it and turn away based on reserch I leave the food down for about 30 -45 mins and then pick it up so that she will eventually eat. Should I be doing this to the water too? Ive took her a bath and I have mastered the stay comand prior to letting her go outside ... I might be working backwards but I feel that I am working : ) One thing that concerns me is that I have read that they are not good to be left alone for a few hours can anyone confirm. I hate to think that she will not be happy with us. With the economy as it is my husband is job hunting and has time to be with Bree now but im scrared for her to feel lonely when he starts working. My house is big enough for her to roam during the day and I can come during my lunch break to let her out maybe 2 or 3 times during the week at least thats what I am planning on doing. Can I get some advice please I want Bree to be happy. :)

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, Bree sounds lovely, how old is she. what food is she on. try leaving it down for 15 mins then lifting it and giving it back to her at next feeding time. how many tmes a day. as for the water that can stay down all day.

the longest my girls have been left on their own in ghe house is 6 or 7 ours but normaly no longer than 5 hours. try getting her to spend time by herself when your in the house so she gets used to you not being with her. do the kids go to school close enough that they can pop home for lunch and let her out.

do you have any photos of bree

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Flo was similar to Bree about food. When she was younger she just wasn't bothered about food and sometimes wouldn't eat at all. I did the same as you and left it down 30 mins then took it away until next mealtime. It began to feel like she hated her food and only ate when she was starving. On the odd occasion I gave in and mixed something nice (like left over meat from our meal) with her kibble she would just pick out the nice bits and leave the kibble. Then the next time I put kibble down she would turn up her nose completely. I almost turned to a raw diet but vet wasn't keen as they said they wouldn't know she was eating a balanced diet and I wasn't desperately happy to keep mucking about with raw meat and bones etc.

I now have her settled down though and eating with enthusiasm. She has Wellbeloved kibble and vet suggested using one small bag up then switching flavour - which is good and keeps her interested. I also mix it with about 1/10 of a box of wet food called Nature Diet which I mash up and stir the kibble into. Again using different flavour each time the pack is finished. 1 box of nature diet used a little at a time for each meal with kibble lasts 5 days and is kept in the fridge. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kendal Thank you so much I wish my boyz could do that but they are 8 and 5 so thats a no go:( but I on the other had I live close enough to home that I can pop in during lunch 2 or 3 times a week. until she gets use to us and our routine. Im so happy that she can adjust because shes such a joy to be around. Last week i got home in a bad mood and when I saw her I was so happy : ) I honestly dont know her age. I am guessing maybe a year old. This is my first in house dog and I am trying to do my best I have the patients I just need her cooperaion :) with time I know well be great together

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many Thank you too today was great I added a little bit of boiled chicken to her bites and she ate the chicken first and then I heard the crunching she had some bites too ..lol I talk to her alot and I love she moves her head like she understands me ..lol I will definatly kee you all posted on our progress have a great day

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Hi Brees mommie I know you'll get there cos you can tell you want to x x Wilf was like that with food he'd eat something first time and then was nt interested .. even had kids pretending to eat it to try and make him want it . Sounds to be a bit better though now. Hope you keep posting. Good luck x

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hi, glad you're getting on ok. I think that you will probably know if Bree becomes unhappy being left because her behaviour will let you know. It would probably help if you give her a really good walk before you leave her for work - that way she will be worn out and will settle better. I know what you mean when you say that she brightens your day - I defy anyone to stay in a bad mood when there's a cockapoo around! Hope all goes well for you x

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Bree's mommie, Brontie (now 10 weeks old) is like that with her food too. It's as if she thinks its really boring. We have just started introducing James Wellbeloved and she definitely likes that better. We put it in a training ball so she has to work for it to drop out. She didn't understand how to do it at first, so we sat on the floor and showed her. When we mixed it in with her regular food, she picked out the new stuff, even though to us it looked exactly the same. Clever girl!

·
Registered
322 Posts
My girl was fussy as was the in laws.
Still not a big eater but hey shes not starving!
The magic stuff is the natures diet wet food, the secret to be a fully indulgent dog parent is that we microwave the wet food for 15 secs!
Smells better to the dog and sticks to the biscuits.

of course we don't indulge our dog in any manner! LOL

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
My girl was fussy as was the in laws.
Still not a big eater but hey shes not starving!
The magic stuff is the natures diet wet food, the secret to be a fully indulgent dog parent is that we microwave the wet food for 15 secs!
Smells better to the dog and sticks to the biscuits.

of course we don't indulge our dog in any manner! LOL
Same. Nature Diet does it for Flo, even just a little mixed in with her Wellbeloved kibble. Never quite resorted to microwaving but have been know to mash the nature diet and kibble with warm water to bring out the flavour and smell. Hate the fish Nature Diet though - Flo loves it but everyone complains that she smells like a salmon when she's having that flavour and won't cuddle her - I cuddle her however much she smells.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Rufus eats just fine but is so picky about treats! It can be frustrating when we are trying to train him and get him to do something and then give him a treat but he doesn't want it :(

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hi Lia, Have you tried dried liver or liver cake for treats? Never found a dog that didn't love it. When I'm out I'm like the Pied Piper - all the dogs follow me around with their noses on my pocket where I keep the liver :D

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Lia, Have you tried dried liver or liver cake for treats? Never found a dog that didn't love it. When I'm out I'm like the Pied Piper - all the dogs follow me around with their noses on my pocket where I keep the liver :D
haha no, I've never tried liver for treats. Is it easy to find? Do you buy it at a deli or somewhere like that? That sounds very successful!! :D

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
lol some places sell it i think, we just make out own, it has a very strong smell, but the dogs go mental for it.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I just buy the liver in packs from the supermarket in the offal section. It's under £1 here for a good size pack that lasts weeks. I either dry it on low heat in the oven for ages (some people microwave it) or make it into liver cake, with flour, egg and garlic. Loads of recipes if you google it. Someone put a recipe on here recently but I can't remember which thread. I give really tiny pieces at a time, less than pea-sized.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I just buy the liver in packs from the supermarket in the offal section. It's under £1 here for a good size pack that lasts weeks. I either dry it on low heat in the oven for ages (some people microwave it) or make it into liver cake, with flour, egg and garlic. Loads of recipes if you google it. Someone put a recipe on here recently but I can't remember which thread. I give really tiny pieces at a time, less than pea-sized.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts