I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what everyone else does to safely restrain their Cockapoo in the car and the pros and cons (if any)?

So many options; hard crate, soft crate, padded harness, booster seat etc.

I have a 14 week old cockapoo and thinking about using a padded harness and securing him on the back seat inside a dog car seat sling.

I look forward to hearing your responses.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We have a crate in the back of the car( it's an estate type of car ) and use it for every journey and she's now used to it, we didn't used to bother with a crate but we were advised to get one by our local police dog handler. He said that if anyone has an accident and there is a dog in the car that's not restrained they will not do anything until the RSPCA comes and gets it out because if she escapes onto the road it could cause another accident.
I also have a two seater sports car so if I take her in that I use an RAC dog harness and it works very well, she has to lay on the seat when she would rather lay on the floor but she doesn't grumble.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
This is the first time I've ever considered what happens to dogs after a car accident. Presumably if I was dead or seriously injured they'd open the car door even if there was an unrestrained dog in the car that survived the accident?:confused:

Rufus has finally learned to escape even his clickit harness which is the only restraint system actually certified to work. I've read that many other restraints can do more harm than good. All this to say that whatever you decide, start using it as soon as possible so pup doesn't question that that's how it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts