I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I could really use some advice. Mazie is now 1 year old and she still has so much trouble in the car. When we first brought her home she vomited 3 times and urinated once in the car. We have now discovered that Cerenia prevents the vomit, but she still drools VERY excessively and is super anxious. I have putting her in the car ever day for several weeks per many recommendations but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. We started slow with the car off, then went up and down the driveway, then progressed down the street, etc per all the advice on websites. We also bought a special car seat that elevates her so she can see out the window, we play calming dog music, and we crack the windows. I am now wondering if a type of calming bite may help. Can anyone recommend one that works for them? Or, does anyone have any other suggestions? We would love to be to take her in the car with us but it's so tough for her:(

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!!!

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
The best approach is to start to make very short car journeys which lead to something the dog will enjoy so typically a nice grass area the dog can enjoy a run and play on and even better if it is such a short distance that you can have a very short drive, then the fun play and some nice sniffs and then a calm walk home.

·
Registered
152 Posts
We rescued a maltipoo that we were told had been sick and stressed with every journey. Over the last few months we have built up our journeys, just like 2ndhandgal has suggested, making sure that there is something really rewarding at the end of it. We’ve also discovered that sitting on my lap, fully supported, makes him feel really safe and less likely to be car sick. This is very different to our cockapoo who travels much better in his crate in the boot. I think slowly and gently does it is the thing to aim for and noticing what works for your pup. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the advice! We finished to vey short (2 minute) car rides over the past few days followed by a fun walk and she seemed to do ok. We will keep at it! Thanks again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Excellent! Slow and steady wins the race- so glad you’ve been successful and your girl is feeling more confident -yay!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts