I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 month old cockapoo gets sick on car rides over 45 mins. When we first got her and started driving home she immediately got car sick. She used to cry a lot on short drives but after giving her treats and taking her out more she doesn't cry anymore. Now she is fine on short drives in her kennel but always throws up on car rides over 45 mins. I really don't want to go to the vet for medication in order for her to be on longer drives. Is there anything I can do that will fix this? What can I do to help make her not sick on car rides longer than 45 mins?

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
She is still only a baby and her first few trips will have been stressful, coming home from breeder and then going to vets. She needs lots of short fun journeys so she can get used to travelling and start to enjoy it rather than be anxious

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 5 month old cockapoo gets sick on car rides over 45 mins. When we first got her and started driving home she immediately got car sick. She used to cry a lot on short drives but after giving her treats and taking her out more she doesn't cry anymore. Now she is fine on short drives in her kennel but always throws up on car rides over 45 mins. I really don't want to go to the vet for medication in order for her to be on longer drives. Is there anything I can do that will fix this? What can I do to help make her not sick on car rides longer than 45 mins?
Make sure she can see out the window. Like humans dogs can get motion sick if the are moving but cannot see it. Get her a car seat that gets her up high enough so she can see out the windows.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I often drive alone so I can't have her upfront with me, she always tries to jump onto my lap while im driving and its safer to have dogs in a kennel while driving. I put all the back seats down and put her kennel right behind the armrest that is between the two front seats, so she can see me and see out the windshield. However if she lays down at one end of the kennel.. im not sure if she would be able to see out of any of the windows. Do you think if I propped up her kennel on something to elevate it that it might help? That way she could see out of the back seat car windows.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is still only a baby and her first few trips will have been stressful, coming home from breeder and then going to vets. She needs lots of short fun journeys so she can get used to travelling and start to enjoy it rather than be anxious
I do take her on lots of short drives to a trail or dog park and she is fine just pants a lot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Panting a lot says she is not fine and is stressed so lots more short journeys until she relaxes more
I am trying I take her on short journeys almost every day, if not every other day for weeks now but the panting persists..

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
If she is only five months old she can't have been doing it for that long - if the weather is OK for it where you are at the moment you could even just go and sit in the car for a while, feed her dinner in there and then go back in the house - just start to normalise it all and give her time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If she is only five months old she can't have been doing it for that long - if the weather is OK for it where you are at the moment you could even just go and sit in the car for a while, feed her dinner in there and then go back in the house - just start to normalise it all and give her time.
Thats a good idea. I could try and feed her some meals in there to have a more positive association with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts