I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stanley is now a few weeks off 6 months old. We have no plans to breed him. When has everyone had their dog castrated? Any opinions would be appreciated. We are thinking of having him done over Christmas when he'll be 7 months old and we can stay with him 24/7. Behaviour wise we are in no rush. He has started humping our legs occasionally but is easily stopped. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most vet's recommend around 6 or 7 months old. We will most likely have Bailey neutered this month - he's now 6 months old and has lost most of his puppy teeth. Good Luck!!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
First of all you should not refer to it as "castration" - he will be neutered. Most vet's recommend around 6 or 7 months old. We will most likely have Bailey neutered this month - he's now 6 months old and has lost most of his puppy teeth. Good Luck!!

why not? It is the correct term for specific gender. Neutering is the general term for both male and female desexing(removal of reproductive organs, testicles/ovaries)

"Definition of castrate verb from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
castrate verb
castrate somebody/something
to remove the testicles of a male animal or person
castration
noun [uncountable, countable]"

"Definition of neuter adjective from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
neuter adjective
(grammar) (in some languages) belonging to a class of nouns, pronouns, adjectives or verbs whose gender is not feminine or masculine
The Polish word for ‘window’ is neuter."

"Definition of spay verb from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
spay verb
spay something (technical)
to remove the ovaries of a female animal, to prevent it from breeding
Have you had your cat spayed?"

so technically Castration is more appropriate for this topic as the question is specific to owners of male dogs as apposed to female dogs

·
Registered
104 Posts
castrate....neuter....whatev...Dexter was almost 6 months. We haven't had any problems since then with marking or aggressive behavior.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kendal I looked up the correct term before posting. Let's leave the name issue now. Has anyone else got any thoughts on getting my dog castrated. How did your dog change etc. How much does it cost in the UK. How long does it take the dog to recover

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Wilf was 5 months old, he was nt really sexual anyway so there s been no 'humping' he's three now. They have a tendancy to put on weight which i'm sure your vet will mention. He felt really sorry for himself though (as you would I suppose ! ) he just lay on a blanket all day and I almost had to carry hin outside for a wee . So I would definitely say have it done while your going to be around . I want to say it was about £100 but memorys not great, then no exertion, walks, no stairs I think for a couple of days but may have been longer.x

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you are not going to breed castration is the way to go. Grover was absolutely fine straight after. He was leaping about as soon as he was brought home! He has not put on weight, he is very fit and VERY happy. : )
I think it is more cruel not to as he will not be mating!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Booked in for 20th December

Stanley is booked in for 20th December. He will be 7 months old. He has to have a pre op checkup at 0910. Assuming he is fit and well he'll have the op that morning. I then collect him at 1700. The vet will then relieve me of £120. Stanley has to have rest for 24 hours which as most of you will know will be easier said than done. He has to have a "lampshade" around his neck for 2 weeks to prevent him nibbling the stiches. I'll update this post with Stanleys progress after the op. It may be beneficial to other dog owners considering castration.
Sadly Stanleys first Christmas may not be as festive! as might be expected.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
aww poor boy lol Delta will be geting done between christmas and new year she will be getting her front dew claws removed at the same time.

look forqard to hearing about his progress

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
aww poor boy lol Delta will be geting done between christmas and new year she will be getting her front dew claws removed at the same time.

look forqard to hearing about his progress

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Op day tomorrow

Well, Stanley has no idea whats in store for him tomorrow! We had a really nice long walk of 6 miles off his lead running in fields this morning in the snow. He;s spent the rest of the day curled up snoozing because he has probably run around 10+ miles off his lead.
Just spoken to the vet, he's going in for 0845 in the morning. On the subject of vets, Ive just changed mine for this operation. My local vet who I have used for convenience was quoting £120 to castrate Stanley. This was based on his weight at 7.2kg (7 months old) . I didn't shop around for prices but then everyone said that sounded expensive. I rang the vet my inlaws use for their dog and they quoted me £80 for exactly the same castration operation. Both are well respected vets practices but its clear that price can vary widely. My local vets staff could not explain why they were charging so much. As a result Stanleys op ant the local vet was cancelled and Im going to a vet 6 miles from home that saves me £50.
Ill post further updates tomorrow after the operation, no breakfast in the morning for Stanley so he'll be a bit hungry and may sus that somethings not quite right!!!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
hope Stanleys ok and that all went well ...an expensive christmas present that he wont have been expecting poor thing. Likewise good luck with Delta x

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Stanleys back home. Vet said the operation went well. He has a 1 inch scar where they once were with a couple of stiches. I collected him at 1530 having dropped him off at 0900. He initially seemed fine, very excited too see us as you might expect. All evening he's been extra quiet and sleepy though. He still has a good appetite and jumped straight up when I got out his food. The vet has given us some painkillers, half a tablet twice a day. We've been given an emergency 24 hour mobile phone number for the on call vet at the practice we used which is reassuring. The vet said that in 2 days he will be back to normal. I've been told to take him for short walks only.
We have a follow up appointment in 10 days when his stiches will be removed. I'm hoping he will sleep through the night without a problem. I expect the painkillers will help him sleep too. I'll update this thread with any changes

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Really glad it all went ok. The vet sounds good. Does he have to wear a trumpet or whatever you call those protectors? It's also good that you are allowed to walk him, even if it's just a short walk. It's so hard to try to keep a lively dog from overdoing it after an op. Keep us posted x

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
48 hours post operation

We'll its just over 48 hours since Stanleys operation. He's doing well. We noticed he was licking the stiches very occasionally yesterday when initially he hasn't bothered. The licking was stopping the healing process around the cut. We've therefore invested in what we call a "Lampshade ". I'm sure it has a technical name but I'm sure you'll know what I mean. Despite this Stanley was still managing to disturb the scar. Our vet suggested an old pair of pants. So courtesy of my 4 year old daughter Stanley now has his own set of pants. Only minor adjustments were required with a pair of scissors for his tail.
Stanley had his first walk since the operation tonight, just 20 minutes mind. He was raring to go and would have walked much further had I let him.
All told he is almost better still bit sleepy and looks a little glum when he wanders around. I'm just hoping his recovery continues at the same rate.
I've tried to attach a photo and hope it's visible!

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
lol yeah lampshade or buster collar. inca was i nightmare with hers, so we just use a vest now, much easier.

what does your daughter think of him weiring her pants lol.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Glad he's recovering well - that photo is so funny! Poor Stanley - not his finest hour :) . Kendal, what do you mean by using a vest? How does that work? I'm going to get Dylan done soon and I know he'll hate the lampshade, especially at night.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Oh its like showing embarrassing pictures of your kids when they grow up... poor Stanley in his Knickers..... sure he s back to his normal self now though x

·
Registered
710 Posts
hahaha what a funny photo. I hadn't heard of wearing little pants but that's a great idea. Maybe we'll use that when Rufus has to get his done in a few months heehee poor guy

1 - 20 of 42 Posts