I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so as our date approaches for bringing home our gourgeous 'Boo' :D im now looking for any more suggestions with first intros to our cat 'casper'.

Okay heres what i have planned so far
I have a training lead so boo will be clipped to me when the cat is around
Boo will not be allowed upstairs or on furniture
Feed cat before boo, because of the whole bottom of pack thing
Treats for training boo not to touch cat
I have a pheromone plug for the cat
I have purchased mackerel, kippers,sardines and salmon to bribe the cat
I have purchased a catnip spray to spray puppies things with....

Phew! Have i left anything out? Or am i armed and ready? Lol :D

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Sounds good to me; be prepared for a sudden chase of the cat by puppy, ensure you have a firm stance if puppy is attached to you! (he he). I used stair gates to keep mine apart. My cat learned to sit on command copying the puppy for treats, they both would sit next to each other, get their treats, then the battles would begin again. Good luck (mine never became friends or even tolerated each other, they just had to be kept apart)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Our cat used to be inside most of the time, now he is outside most of the time!!
But he is coming around to the idea i think because he will now be in the same room as Tilly. Just be prepared that your cat will not be happy for anwhile and good luck with it all!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Our cat used to be inside most of the time, now he is outside most of the time!!
But he is coming around to the idea i think because he will now be in the same room as Tilly. Just be prepared that your cat will not be happy for anwhile and good luck with it all!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:( i really hope it all works out, i love my cat and dont want him to feel unwelcome in his own home, im looking at him now all curled up on 'his' sofa and im really worried....

·
Registered
58 Posts
I will be in the same situation as you when we bring Cookie home in two weeks. We have 2 cats and a older dog, oh and 2 horses!! The cats usually go out at night and spend the days sleeping upstairs on my bed( dogs are not allowed upstairs:rolleyes:) so hopefully they will be able to get out of the way of him for some of the time!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Morning,

I also have cats (three) and have been trying to devise a 'plan' for when we bring our puppy home:

- Before puppy arrival get a higher scratching post so cats can view puppy from above
- Put the litter tray somewhere private for cats (also stops puppy from eating poo)
- Trim cats’ claws :eek:
- Get catnip toys and spray for cat
- Get plug-in Feliway and start using a day or two before puppy arrives home
- Prepare crate and let cats explore before bringing puppy home
- Install baby gates at the bottom of the stairs so that cats can escape upstairs
- Before leaving the house to pick up puppy spray furniture etc with Feliway
- Arrive home
- Put cats in room upstairs
- Respray room with Feliway
- Take puppy outside to pee/poo & have a drink/food & cuddle
- Stroke puppy with a damp cloth (to put its smell on it) and take to cats to let them smell. Do the same in reverse
- Holding puppy let cats in
- Don’t scold cats for being hostile initially but move puppy away if things get nasty. I've been told that you shouldn't move cat as they'll get even more upset that their territory is being messed with!
- Feed the cats so they associate the puppy with good things and are distracted…
- Give cats lots of attention
- Keep puppy on a lead so he doesn’t chase
- Cross your fingers... :)

Is there anything else?

Turi x

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like some of your ideas, one or 2 that i hadnt thought of there! Particularly trimming the cats claws! Lol.... And i like the idea of the cloth,
Im hoping That all the fishy goodies i have bought my cat will bring him round, a bit like positive reinforcement... Ie puppy = nice food etc... I plan on feeding them both these treats at the same time... My cat has never had those particular foods before so i am hoping that the smell
Of a fishy feast will just be too much for him to resist!!! I think we are both very prepared unless there is anyone ekse with some additionak ideas or experiences that worked for them? :)

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hi again Claire

Our cats don’t receive treats frequently so I’m hopeful that treats once the puppy arrives will be a good distraction.

They’re quite playful – they love their catnip mice and vibrating ladybug! – but I imagine a puppy will play more boisterously for their liking.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous – two are 12, one is five – and they’ve never lived or even met a dog!!! :eek:

Turi x

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Turi, we've had our little Wynny now for 6 weeks and I was really worried when we got her as we have a Persian cat (Almo) who's 6 years and had never seen a dog in his life. Being a Persian he is a very homely indoor cat, just like a dog actually. I had always put off getting a dog as he was always our number one and I didn't want to upset him.

Anyway Wynny arrived and things have been much better than I expected. Everytime Wynny goes to chase the cat I just shout NO or LEAVE and reward her with a treat. She is learning and has come to realise that the cat will not run around and play with her like my sisters little cockapoo who is a week older. After being chased around the garden Almo actually clawed Wynny's nose and drew a little blood but I make a point of never shouting at the cat always the dog (may sound wicked I know). We still have moments when she gets a bit lively round the cat but it is generally just hastily running up to him with a waggly tail and then running straight past him, normally towards the cat's food, or even sometimes the cat tray!! I did have to prise a piece of poo from her mouth at one time, dirty little moo!! Don't think it will be long though before she takes no notice of him, and hopefully they'll be snuggling up together, fingers crossed. I even think he quite likes the idea of having a little sister.

I must say I'm really impressed with the way the cat has responded he doesn't always run from Wynny but stands his ground and will sometimes growl but bless him he hasn't attempted to claw her again. He will often walk over to have a nose when she's asleep or just having a quiet moment.

So I'm sure in time your cats will get use to a new puppy, but just remember they are always the boss. Good luck x

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Oh yes, I had forgotten the poo! Puppies love to eat cat poo, so have a plan. Izzy used to spend ages routing through the flowerbeds and it took me a while to realise what the disgusting smell on her breath was!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hi Donna,

Thank you for your post - you've given me a bit more hope about Zulu, Bluebell, Elmo and new pup actually getting along relatively peacefully. Alma sounds lovely... great name. I think it means kind and soulful in Latin (my sister and her Italian husband have been discussing potential baby names recently - both their maiden names begin with A - Alexandra and Alfredo. They want their babies' names to begin with 'A' too and Alma is on the list! Anyway, I digress, as usual.

Donna when you first introduced Alma and Wynny was it awful - I have visions of world war three! Did you follow something similar to what I outlined earlier?

Turi x

·
Registered
172 Posts
It wasn't that awful Turi, to be honest I didn't have a plan other than move the dirt tray and cat food to the landing. I just let Almo have a sniff around but I kept putting Wynny in the crate every so often so he didn't feel too threatened. My main concern was that he would decide to hibernate upstairs which is what my friends cat did for two years when they introduced their English bulldog. Because almo always sat with us in the evening I was really worried at first, but it all seems to have calmed down and Almo still sits with us on the sofa, with Wynny on the other chair. Wynny will sometimes try to jump up when he's sleeping but at the moment can't actually climb up so Almo feels quite safe in his usual sleeping place.

Donna x

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Hey Turi and Claire

I don't want to depress you but after having Betty for three Months it is still
a bit of a nightmare between her and my nine year old cat Molly...
Betty is quite a live wire and really just want's to play..Molly stands her ground for a bit - hissing and lashing out by finally runs off with Betty in chase. Of course you always try to be in control of the situation but sometimes you take your eye off the ball. Pretty much doing all that has been previously suggested as it upsets me to see Molly relagated to other areas of the house away from us.. I'm hoping things will still improve once Betty calms down a bit. Well I can hope!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.