I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No we're not having one from this litter - just visiting for now :(. Got to move house first! They were very sweet - real little piranha teeth hence my face in one of the photos!!!

The breeder is waiting for her other bitch to go into heat - is the sister of the current mum. However, if we were to get a Cavapoo I'm don't think we'd get a puppy from this breeder. I asked about all the vital health checks and she was a bit vague... a good experience nonetheless.

Turi x

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
They are cute ... I like the look of the black and tan pup ... I haven't got a cavapoo, but I know someone who l dlike one .. basically they like the size ... were you pleased with the home breeder? I know someone who would appreciate your feedback :)

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funnily enough JoJo, the black and tan was my favourite too. I wish I'd got a better photo as it had white feet too - such an interesting looking pup!

As for whether we'd use this breeder if we decided on a Cavapoo, I don't think so no as the breeder didn't appear to do the necessary health checks. However, we have found a breeder that is transparent about the potential health problems in Cavaliers in Devon. Google Pound Lane Cavapoos.

Turi x

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Yes make sure health checks are explained clearly, any breeder who has done the relative checks & passed will have no problem sharing this with you!

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Funnily enough JoJo, the black and tan was my favourite too. I wish I'd got a better photo as it had white feet too - such an interesting looking pup!

As for whether we'd use this breeder if we decided on a Cavapoo, I don't think so no as the breeder didn't appear to do the necessary health checks. However, we have found a breeder that is transparent about the potential health problems in Cavaliers in Devon. Google Pound Lane Cavapoos.

Turi x
Thank you ... I will have a look, as you know I like well bred puppies, so I wouldn't want to point any friend in the wrong direction .... I will highlight the health testing and the things I look for when searching for a puppy...

Oh Victoria .. it is so exciting getting a puppy .. so are you planning a puppy for next year?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JoJo, if your friend is interested in Cavapoos, the main health issues with Cavaliers are:

Syringomyelia, a neurological condition. Symptoms are seen between six months & 2 ½ years. Bitches shouldn’t be bred from until after this age to ensure this will not be bred down.

Eye conditions - Hereditary Cataract and Multifocal Retinal Dysplasia(MRD). Bitches should be annually health-checked to ensure these are not present or carried.

Mitral Valve Disease (MVD). I think, though may be wrong, that 50% of Cavaliers can get this. Puppies should only be acquired from a breeder who gets their bitches heart checked with 12 months of the litter being born.

And of course you'd need to ensure the stud was PRA tested.

Turi x

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, and we are hoping to get a puppy in Feb, Mar & Apr. We're due to be exchanging on our first home next week. Keep your fingers crossed everyone!!! Ideally we'd like 3-4 months to get settled and then puppy time!!!

Turi x

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Ali I am a cockapoo gal through and through .. but hey I can appreciate a cute dog.. I think I am just a POO fan lol ... oh no that sounds so wrong .. JoJo is a Poo Fan ...

I really like Poo mixes ... and the names well .. crazy like me ...

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Ali I am a cockapoo gal through and through .. but hey I can appreciate a cute dog.. I think I am just a POO fan lol ... oh no that sounds so wrong .. JoJo is a Poo Fan ...

I really like Poo mixes ... and the names well .. crazy like me ...
I appreciate the cute pups too - I grew up with Cavaliers, and had one until about 5 years ago - I love them, they are gorgeous, faithful, loving, the best natured dogs you could ever wish for, and if I lived in JDland, I would probably have a cavapoo or 2 .... but in my no more than 2 dogs at a time life, it'll only be cockapoos from now on :D
My eldest son wants to change cockapoos to cockadoodles :eek: I'm a 'poo girl too :laugh:

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Lovely pups... gald you did nt just go with your heart which must be so easy to do when you've got a lovely pup in your hand.... hope all goes well in Devon x x

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I appreciate the cute pups too - I grew up with Cavaliers, and had one until about 5 years ago - I love them, they are gorgeous, faithful, loving, the best natured dogs you could ever wish for, and if I lived in JDland, I would probably have a cavapoo or 2 .... but in my no more than 2 dogs at a time life, it'll only be cockapoos from now on :D
My eldest son wants to change cockapoos to cockadoodles :eek: I'm a 'poo girl too :laugh:

Out of interest Ali, why wouldn't you have a Cavapoo now - what is it about your Cockapoo that has the edge on the Cavalier?

Turi x

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I don't know any Cavapoos, but if I had to choose between Cavalier and Cocker, it would be Cocker (working) - I like the look of the Cocker more, I like the bounce factor you get, and now I don't have small children to consider, the Cocker has the edge for me. As far as the cross with the poodle is concerned, I think it's maybe a similar debate to the American/English Show/Working one.

My advice to you would be - try to put puppies out of your mind and think ahead to adult dogs, find out as much as you can about both breeds, meet or talk to as many owners as you can.
Try not to tie yourself in knots about it :) .... or get one of each!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts