I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

Changing diet at 8 months old

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Cocos mum 
#1 ·
Hi Spencer my 8mth old male cockapoo has always been picky with his food even staples like chicken and beef he regularly refuses to eat. I am still feeding him 3 times a day he is a very active puppy and is 8 kg ( 1 stone 2lb in old money). I am trying to change him onto butternutbox but he is refusing to eat any of the new diet , and would rather starve himself than eat the new food. I cook chicken, beef and turkey daily and this is now getting to much . We are going away for 2 weeks and I'm not sure my mum who is looking after him will be able to cope with his diet and the butternut pouches would be so much easier for her . Any ideas 💡 help much appreciated.

#2 ·
It sounds like he has learned that if he does not eat you will offer better and better stuff until he is happy.

You have two choices at this stage by the sound of it - cook enough of what you are feeding him at the moment and freeze for your mum to thaw out and warm up his food - or transition him to the butternut box by gradually mixing with what you are cooking over the next week and change him fully onto the butternut box. I hear what you say about him not eating it but I would be putting his meal down, giving him 20 minutes and then picking up and offering nothing until his next meal. At 8 months as long as he is healthy (and a lean fit puppy is generally healthy) he will come to no harm missing the odd meal.

One thing I would add is that unless you are adding supplements what you are currently cooking for him will not be providing him with all he needs in terms of vitamins and minerals so getting him onto a proper diet will have more benefits than the convenience.

On a softer note - I do know what it is like having a fussy dog, when I first got Molly at 17 months she was very underweight but also very fussy. I transitioned her onto a decent wet food and then had to go total hard line on her of eat it or eat nothing. Within a couple of weeks she was eating really well. Later she got diagnosed with pancreatitis and even later IBD and I have to be really strict with her diet with these conditions - she eats what she is given pretty well these days

#3 ·
It sounds like he has learned that if he does not eat you will offer better and better stuff until he is happy.

You have two choices at this stage by the sound of it - cook enough of what you are feeding him at the moment and freeze for your mum to thaw out and warm up his food - or transition him to the butternut box by gradually mixing with what you are cooking over the next week and change him fully onto the butternut box. I hear what you say about him not eating it but I would be putting his meal down, giving him 20 minutes and then picking up and offering nothing until his next meal. At 8 months as long as he is healthy (and a lean fit puppy is generally healthy) he will come to no harm missing the odd meal.

One thing I would add is that unless you are adding supplements what you are currently cooking for him will not be providing him with all he needs in terms of vitamins and minerals so getting him onto a proper diet will have more benefits than the convenience.

On a softer note - I do know what it is like having a fussy dog, when I first got Molly at 17 months she was very underweight but also very fussy. I transitioned her onto a decent wet food and then had to go total hard line on her of eat it or eat nothing. Within a couple of weeks she was eating really well. Later she got diagnosed with pancreatitis and even later IBD and I have to be really strict with her diet with these conditions - she eats what she is given pretty well these days
Thank you I do also give him various veg and kibble which again he sometimes eats or turns his nose up. I will give the butternut box a good try and lift his food after 20 minutes x just need the hubby to make sure he doesn't offer anything else:rolleyes:. Thanks for the advice 🐶

#7 ·

Thank you for your advice day 2 of you eat what you get given and although yesterday he refused after having a bit sniff off his food. Today he very quickly realised that was all he was going to get. He was a bit huffy however he ate most of his breakfast but not lunch which I picked it up and gave again for tea and he wolfed it down. They really are very intelligent and learn quickly fingers crossed we are turning a corner x 🐶

#4 ·
Some Cockapoos are such picky eaters!! Monty was the same! (Also 8kg at 8 months and very active) He used to be on Lily’s kitchen wet food for puppies and he often wouldn’t eat all day. So I gave different dog a try. It is similar to Butternut Box. Luckily, he loves it! He loves getting a different recipe every day and finally eats his food, immediately!
Cooking yourself is definitely not a sustainable option. On the one hand I agree with what 2ndhandgal said, however I think it is completely okay for them to not like a certain food. Try what 2ndhandgal suggested but take notes, if he likes certain recipes better than others. Monty eats beef/lamb/fish/venison etc much quicker than chicken recipes. So I changed those out.

#9 ·
We did this with our 8 year old Toy Poodle, Little Lucy. We wanted her off dry kibble, and had been cooking her fresh chicken, beef and lamb for about 2 years prior. Wanted her on the prior ingredients, plus FrshPet, in order to get nutrients missing with whole meats solely. Lucy's spoilt, and it's my fault. It took more than 4 months, hand feeding (another mistake), until she finally eats on her own. At nearly 10 years of age, she has other issues, so I choose to hand feed if necessary, cook, mix, etc. Good LucK!!! 🐩<--Little Lucy Lou, Spoilt Poo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.