I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Jo and and my cockapoo is called Charley. I have never been a dog owner so all this is very new to me. Charley has been with us for 4 weeks and settled in straight away. The first few days he was really timid but is showing his cheeky personality now. I'm finding the toilet training hard going especially in the snow - all he wants to do outside is eat the snow! I regulary take him outside and 9 out of 10 times he has a wee. However he still wee's inside too! For the last 2 days he has been sitting by the door and when he goes out he does a wee - does this mean that all my effort is working? We have a crate but haven't used it for toilet training but am considering it for night time so if there is anyone with advice on it please let me know. He is happy to go into it during the day but I haven't locked the door yet!

Hope to get to know you all soon
Jo

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome. we need photos of Charley, where did you get him. what colour is he.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Welcome Jo and Charley
Sounds to me that you are right on track and doing well. We are first time owners too, although we have had Teddy since May -summer was a lot easier for toilet training, but they seem to be adaptable to all sorts so if he is weeing outside regularly he is doing very well at his age.
See you around the forum!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sounds like it is working. Just make sure that when he does pee outside you praise him alot so he knows that is what you want him to do. When he pees in the house try and catch him in mid pee and take him outside and use some word to associate pee with, like "go potty". If you see a pee spot in the house and you did not catch him do not punish him because he will not know what you are angry at him for. He will forget that peeing in the house is not right as soon as he is done. So catching in mid pee is the only way to correct that. But know, it takes time. Axle took about 2 months of peeing in the house before he was completely house trained.

Crate training is a very effective method to use. Get him used to the crate now if you would like to use it in the future. Starting that a young age is key. NEVER use it for a punishment area, his crate should be his sage den to go to and sleep. Axle sleeps in his crate EVERY night. It is a routine. It is something you do not want to do "sometimes" because then your puppy will get confused. I would also suggest crating him for a nap maybe twice a day so he knows that when he is in his crate, its warm and cuddly and time to sleep. The first few nights do expect him to cry alot. Ignore that. He needs to learn. Do not feel bad even though sometimes it is hard. He will soon not cry and just sleep.

And, WELCOME! :D We would LOVE to see pictures of him!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Jo, also new to the site but you are on the right track as soon as he wakes up take him to the door and let him out,our dog Macey goes to the door and barks she was trained within 4 weeks of having her,they are highly intelligent and he will soon stop going inside but best to get him as soon as he wakes up as this is when they need to go,hope all goes well and as a past dog owner (but first Cockapoo) I think the breed is fantastic and are loving (sometimes) and very loyal,good luck with him.

Mac.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Hi welcome... Mabel is 11 weeks old and has meowed!! to go out a few times but has also a few times recently waited while she has come in to wee on the towel used for drying feet ... but really cant blame her when the ground is snowy and icy. i agree with jess about the crate mabel only cried for for a couple of minutes the first night and quite happily goes in to sleep during the day x

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sounds like it is working. Just make sure that when he does pee outside you praise him alot so he knows that is what you want him to do. When he pees in the house try and catch him in mid pee and take him outside and use some word to associate pee with, like "go potty". If you see a pee spot in the house and you did not catch him do not punish him because he will not know what you are angry at him for. He will forget that peeing in the house is not right as soon as he is done. So catching in mid pee is the only way to correct that. But know, it takes time. Axle took about 2 months of peeing in the house before he was completely house trained.

Crate training is a very effective method to use. Get him used to the crate now if you would like to use it in the future. Starting that a young age is key. NEVER use it for a punishment area, his crate should be his sage den to go to and sleep. Axle sleeps in his crate EVERY night. It is a routine. It is something you do not want to do "sometimes" because then your puppy will get confused. I would also suggest crating him for a nap maybe twice a day so he knows that when he is in his crate, its warm and cuddly and time to sleep. The first few nights do expect him to cry alot. Ignore that. He needs to learn. Do not feel bad even though sometimes it is hard. He will soon not cry and just sleep.

And, WELCOME! :D We would LOVE to see pictures of him!
Hi I have just read your reply to some one hope you dont mind me asking i am first time dog owner too and we dont get her till March, was just wondering about during the night in her crate do you have to take her out to go to the loo a few times when they are so young ? shouldent think they will sleep through when they are so young.
Thanks lynne

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Hi Lynne, Both Wilf and Mable would bark or cry in the night when they wanted the toilet... I think only once a night, cant remember more than that and we would come and take them out without any fuss, no talking, no playing and then back in to bed. They both had accidents where they had already weed by the time I got there ( a couple times in the first few weeks) but still took them out. Not long before they did nt wake and it was nt every night but like a new baby you find yourself only half asleep listening out for them.Wilf is three and can now go til luch time before needing the loo if its raining lol and Mable wakes now between 6 and 7 ... still a bit early for weekend .. she's 20 weeks . But sure they're all different, others will have had different experiences .... Good luck x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts