I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Well I finally got brave yesterday and gave Riley a raw chicken wing in the garden and after jumping on in, growling at it, patting it and pushing it he finally realised he could eat it and snuck off with it to devour under the trampoline!
All went well and he loved it, took about half an hour to eat and I have to say after my initial squeamishness (we keep pet chickens too!) I actually quite enjoyed watching him actually work a bit for his food.

Question I have tho is was I right to reduce his kibble? I usually feed him 7am and 6pm but gave the chicken at 3pm as didn't want him eating it in the house so I then only gave half his usual amount of Barking Heads at 6pm?

Probably a silly question but just want to get it right

Thanks

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Well done Tracey - glad he liked it.
Raw foods and kibble don't mix very well as they digest at different rates, so the best thing would be to give the wings at one meal and the kibble at another. Obviously if it is a meal replacement then you will want to think about the quantity - some people give one wing and some give two.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well done Tracey - glad he liked it.
Raw foods and kibble don't mix very well as they digest at different rates, so the best thing would be to give the wings at one meal and the kibble at another. Obviously if it is a meal replacement then you will want to think about the quantity - some people give one wing and some give two.
ah, that is interesting I didn't realise that, so perhaps I will have to wait for the clocks to change to give him a raw food dinner so he can eat in the garden! Thank you, I will make sure not to mix the food and just give as a meal. What would you recommend as he is 19 weeks old, would one wing be equivalent to a meal?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
At that age I was still giving three meals a day I think, but the amount you feed would depend on Riley's weight. For total raw feeding you would generally give about 5-6% of the body weight per day for a pup, so say Riley weighs about 5 kilos for example, he would get about 250-300g a day. A wing weighs about 100g, so that would be about 3 wings per day, so if you are replacing one meal only, you could give either one or two wings. Maybe sometimes give one wing and increase his kibble meal slightly and other times give two wings and decrease his kibble meal a bit. If he's heavier or lighter than 5 kilos, you can adjust accordingly. Sorry, hope I haven't confused you too much!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's great thank you. I was feeding 3 meals until about a week or so ago as he was just not interested in his midday meal so I decided to split his meals into two and he hasn't refused anything since then. I will give it a go based on what you have said, I don't intend to switch over to raw completely but like the idea of giving him something different sometimes so if I can use raw as a meal replacement that would be great.
Thank you for helping me out.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I give Biscuit a wing most days - which weighs approx 100g - and this is for his lunch - so equals one of his meals. The rest of meals are usually NI, Natures Menu or sometimes a tin of sardines which he loves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.