I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so excited today. Chip has been doing well with potty training, but never really asking to go out, just goes when we take him, or fusses a bit in his pen occasionally. Today I had taken him out for a pee, then he was in the family room playing with my 7 yr old. I suddenly heard the bell ring that I've kept on the door for him, and went to him and he ran out to poo! I'm amazed b/c I have not been emphasizing the bell, thought I'd start that when he was better at going out.

We start a puppy training class next Saturday, that should be fun too.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wow, that's awesome! We just finally took our bell down today because we were painting in that spot. Chloe never did learn to use it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Probably another silly question but .......

Fab! What a clever pup!!

What sort of bell do you use???? And where have you put it? (No rude comments please ;))

I was thinking about trying this as Pippa doesnt ask to go out, door is generally open if i cant be in same room with her and what with Autumn coming the kids will be turning blue!!! I was thinking of maybe using somthing like a windchime abd dangling it from door handle but it might be too tempting for the kids to play with??????

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Thats brilliant. We've been toying with the idea of introducing a bell now Lolly is a bit older and I don't want to leave the door open with the weather getting colder. Think I may have to find a suitable bell :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Let's see if this works without me looking at the directions! (Did go back to find them! ) I got it from Etsy since I was too lazy to make it myself! I ring it each time I go to the door to let him out (theoretically, ha!) I just can't see him if he goes to the back door because I have a rocking chair near it, and thought that would help.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What a brilliant idea, Tina, I've never heard of this before - and what a clever pup Chip is. I am going to give this a try when my puppy comes home. The bell should help prevent any scratching of the door which might otherwise occur, do you think?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Clever Chip...love to see a picture of him ringing the bell if you could catch it!!:D
Rocky was just scratching at the door if it was closed but recently I thought as the weather was getting colder, we might not hear him if inner doors were closed so I taught him to bark. I made sure I caught him scratching...called him a good boy and then barked excitedly at him (hoping the neighbours were out...) untill he barked back. When he did I lavished praise on him and let him out. Then I could just ask him to "speak" and now he does it by himself...we are ready for winter brrrrrrrrrrrrr lol :twothumbs:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Clever Chip...love to see a picture of him ringing the bell if you could catch it!!:D
Rocky was just scratching at the door if it was closed but recently I thought as the weather was getting colder, we might not hear him if inner doors were closed so I taught him to bark. I made sure I caught him scratching...called him a good boy and then barked excitedly at him (hoping the neighbours were out...) untill he barked back. When he did I lavished praise on him and let him out. Then I could just ask him to "speak" and now he does it by himself...we are ready for winter brrrrrrrrrrrrr lol :twothumbs:

These steps took less than a week :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Laney - that is so cute! My standard poodle stands by the door till we notice him, he's never scratched or barked. Luckily he's patient and has a really strong bladder.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
What a great idea,im going to get one,weve just had the door open while the weathers been nice.
Can i ask did he try to pull it off the door and chew it??(i can see Buddy trying to do that)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
If you google 'bell training for dogs' there are some useful training tips on there. :) I bought the bell early on but never got around to using it. Maybe have to rethink now that autumn is on its way!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Well done Chip! What a great idea, I might get one too :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts