I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have been considering having Ollie castrated he is 15 months ,however because he is such a gorgeous pure chocolate colour and such a lovely dog i would like him to be a stud ,he is an f1 and his parents had all the necessary health checks done does anyone know if this is a good idea and if so how would i go about it .

Thanks lynda

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Allowing a dog to sire a litter is a big decision and needs a lot of thought about the responsibilities involved and the amount of knowledge needed.

With Olllie do you know for sure what tests his parents had and have evidence of the results. Are there any more tests that may be needed to be done? Do you have his parents pedigree history so that you know that any potential bitches coming to be mated are not related?

Do you have a basic understanding of genetics?

The responsible owner of a potential stud dog must have in depth knowledge on a range of subjects including:

The Bitch's Cycle. The stud dog owner must be able to advise novice bitch owners when to bring their bitch for mating as all bitches differ. The stud dog owner must know from just looking at a bitch whether she is receptive to mating or not - introducing a stud dog to a bitch who is not ready for mating could lead to the dog being injured as bitches may be aggressive to males if they are not ready. The stud dog owner must also be prepared to board an in season bitch for a few days or longer if she arrives before she is receptive to mating.

Mating Techniques. Contrary to popular belief, not all male dogs know instinctively what to do with an in season bitch - many need careful tutoring & the stud dog owner must know how to do this & how to assist a dog to achieve a successful mating. Some matings can be technically difficult for example if the bitch is reluctant to stand still to be mated. Again, the stud dog owner needs to know what to do to achieve a good result without injury or distress being caused to either party.

Managing the Stud Dog. Once a dog is used at stud, it is not unusual for his personality to alter to some extent. Some have a tendency to mark their territory indoors (cocking legs on furniture etc) and may be more likely to wander off the lead in search of in season bitches. Once a dog has been allowed to mate one bitch, they will generally want others! Some may also become more aggressive to other male dogs (due to sexual competitiveness). The potential stud dog owner needs to decide whether they can cope with these possible behavioural changes.

Responsibility for Puppies. Once a dog has been used at stud, the owner cannot just take the money & forget about it. The stud dog owner must be prepared to give advice on rearing puppies to the bitch owner (if a first time breeder) & must also take responsibility for any hereditary defects produced by their dog. They are also morally responsible for helping with the rehoming of any of their dog's offspring should the need arise at any time. This responsibility also means the stud dog owner must vet bitch owners that contact them to ensure that the breeder is reputable (not a puppy farmer for instance!) & that the bitch is old enough to be mated (or not too old) & has passed all the recommended health test.

Personally unless you can cope with all the above- I would just enjoy him as a pet and get him castrated. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou so much for your wise words i realise there is an awful lot of things to consider and as iam not at all qualified in any area i think castration would be the best thing to do .

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Thankyou so much for your wise words i realise there is an awful lot of things to consider and as iam not at all qualified in any area i think castration would be the best thing to do .
I think you are doing the right thing- - unless you have some-one experienced on hand to mentor you and help you through the process there is a lot to consider. I didn't want to come across negative ( hope I didn't) but thought it best to give you some facts so that you can consider points you may not have thought of.

I think too it could cause stress and worry especially if you get some-one else inexperienced with a bitch to mate.

Sorry Ollie is does mean the snip for you boy :) but sure mummy will give you loads of attention- so you won't miss the girls :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts