I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may be aware from my very first post that I am deaf (have a little sound but lip read) and Harley is going to be trained by me to be my hearing dog helping tell me when my alarm goes off or the door bell etc. I also hope that when he reaches a year (earliest he be assessed) he will also become a PAT dog.... well at 8 weeks 3 days he is now sitting on command :D I just included it in play time and he picked it up very fast (treat orientated ;) ) I have also got him to go for wee and poo using the command "be clean" of course a treat is rewarded. So thing have gone better than I could have hoped in our first week. I still can't believe how lucky I am to have him-Its been a hard two years since going to bed with hearing and waking in the morning with no high pitch sound and little low pitch! if he can make me this happy in a week then I hope when he passes and becomes a Pat dog he will give as much pleasure to sick children and adults.
Will keep you updated as asked by some of you.......right Harley what shall we do next......:laugh:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
So pleased that things are going well. I think that cockapoos are great to train. They seem to be so eager to please. I find that Dylan is happy to do something as soon as he understands what it is that I want him to do. I've got very lazy with training now though - must try to do more.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oh! Harley is a good boy!! And how nice that he's going be such an important dog and not only help you, but bring pleasure to lots of other people too.

I was surprised how quickly Noodle learnt as well - and she seems to love it. Gets just as excited being told to sit, stay etc as she does playing or going for a walk!!

Keep up the good work Harley!!

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Hi, oh wow isn't he just doing awesome! isn't the love of a cockapoo great therapy...and for him to do it for lots will be amazing!
Congrats on the progress.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Really cant imagine waking up like that Mary. Great that Harley is doing so well and going to be such a great help to you, they are such a loyal breed, you see mention of cockapoo being hearing dogs alot. Im sure he'll love being a PAT dog as well.. good luck x

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was very scary and then to be admitted to hospital for tests and ended up there for 10 days was a nightmare!
Anyway what is done is done and I just have to accept that my hearing has gone!! I can hear a little if its quiet and the pitch is low but we form most sound using high and low pitch!
Update on Harleys training I almost have him in the down position on command just a little more practice the sit is brilliant and everytime now!

look mum i'm sitting and looking at the camera!!

I think this is what down means!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Harley training update!
on command (95% of the time! )
he now sits, lays down, waits even when off the lead until I give command "away" and last night he picked up Paw (shake hands) and roll over. woop woop go boy go :ilmc:
All this in two weeks, he is now 10 weeks three days. I spend 15mins playing introducing new things and he is loving it, I really hope his sound work goes as well which I will not start until his basic training is solid. For those who don't know I am training Harley to be my Hearing Dog. He really has given me so much pleasure and I couldn't imagine life without him - He really has made life bareable. Thank you Harley I love you so much!
this was a picture taken on his first weekend away infact his very first walk! he is changing and getting slightly fluffy but I think will always look more cocker

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
He's looking great. Did you do any specific tests or look for anything particular when selecting him from the litter or was it love at first sight?

·
Registered
170 Posts
oh he is so lovely looking and a clever boy too:D you must be so proud of him. i hope Holly is as clever as Harley as i have plans to train her as an assistance dog.

i look forward to more pics and tales of his achievements ;)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Can I ask a question? I hope it's not a stupid one. Being deaf, do you have trouble using voice commands? I'm interested because I've been noticing that Rosie is not particularly good at the voice commands, but on walks it can be quite difficult to do the hand signals with the lead in my hand. Do you focus more on the hand signals and, if so, do you have to ensure they are ones you can do if your hands are otherwise occupied? I know your deafness is a recent occurence, so maybe it really is a stupid question, sorry.

And Harley is an absolute stunner, by the way. But then, you probably know that already!

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Harley is absolutely stunning and sounds very bright too. I can't imagine what it would be like to loose a sense or develop a disability. I can only guess how life would change but I get so enthused when I hear of Cockapoos going into a helping role. I bet Harley is going to be the silver lining and make you a very proud mum!

All the best
Julia

1 - 20 of 47 Posts