I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We recently got Buddy, a four month old Cockapoo. Having only been with his new family for a matter of days he has already formed a very close bond with my wife and is extremely clingy with her. Although this is understandable based on the fact that she has spent the most time with him, it is becoming increasingly noticeable that Buddy massively favours Anna over myself and George (our 10 year old son). Is this normal behaviour and will Bud's 'clinginess' to Anna wear off? He goes in his crate at night and settles after 10 minutes of whimpering/howling then sleeps though until the morning. During the day though he only seems to settle when she is around. He pays little attention to me when I come home from work, ie no tail wagging, and will even hide behind Anna's legs for the first few minutes. He does eventually come out of his shell with me but there is a significant difference in how he behaves toward Anna - I'm not paranoid, honest...;). Advice, hints and tips or any feedback welcome :).

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
If he is four months then he has either spent longer than usual with the breeder or has already been moved from a home so quite a bit of change.

Just give him time and I am sure he will come to form proper relationships with you all - very early days at the moment.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What 2ndHand said. Also if you want to increase your bond with him make sure that for example you're the one that feeds him when you get home. Do some training with him and play some fun games like hide and seek etc. when you have the chance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, new to this site. We just got our boy Coco on December 23. I drove 3 hrs away to pick him up and bring him home. He was with me in the front seat on the ride back, but spent his first few hours at home with my wife while my daughters and I went out to get the same food he was having. From that point forward he followed my wife around everywhere which made me very jealous (lol)!! My wife is a teacher so she was off the first week home and it actually increased his bond with her.

I made sure everyday I came home I would sit on the floor while I watched TV and played with him. I had my daughters sit with me and join in so he would associate/bond. Just spend time with him. Feeding him is a biggy too!!! I would also play with him in the back. I would have my daughters join me or take him for a walk. Good way to earn trust when they go on an adventure into the world.

Coco is 5 months now and is certainly a mush. He has trust issues. I have researched separation anxiety since I’m afraid it could me an issue with his personality. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts