I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some research questions for the new puppy.

1. How many of you that chose an Apricot pup found that the coat got lighter as the dog matured? Is there a way to choose an Apricot that won't go lighter?

2. Anyone here got a Red/Dark Apricot coloured adult dog? Would love to see a pic?

3. Kendal, I'm not sure which of your dogs is the red/white one but I love that colour. Is it rare?

Choices, choices!!!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Its Delta who is the red sable and white. any red and whites i have found on google(still hard to fine any with the same kind of markings as Delta so yeah id say it rare) have always become very pale when they are older. but pyper and quica's breeder produced a red sable and whithe that kept all her sable.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
How many of you that chose an Apricot pup found that the coat got lighter as the dog matured? Is there a way to choose an Apricot that won't go lighter?
Maisie has got lighter apricot as she's matured but is still definitely apricot. I guess choose a darkish apricot pup (or red), not a light apricot one, if that's the colour you want to go for.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Flo was dark gold/apricot as a puppy (the vet called her red) she has lightened but would still be classed as apricot rather than buff/blonde. Some keep their dark colour like Nell http://ilovemycockapoo.com/showthread.php?t=1331&highlight=nell but I think generally they are more likely to lighten with some light apricot puppies going quite light (buff) when mature.

Pics so you can see (any excuse to post pics of my lovely Flo!)

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sue, Mandy and Kendal, thanks for the replies and the pics! I'm so confused about what colour I want to go for? I know what I don't want and that is black (obviously got one now) and white/buff/lemon (had Bichons for many years in my family so want something different plus I know how hard it is to keep them looking clean).

My current favs are parti colours (Black, Choc or Red) with or without Roan and I like the Red/Dark apricot and then there's Choc....aagghh how do you choose? I was adamant about black when I was looking for Obi but it's harder this time as I don't have a fixed colour in mind.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I think black and apricot are a good contrast to have together if you are having two. I walk Maisie once a week with a small black dog and the two of them look great together. :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Apricots/Golds tend to get lighter with more sunshine ( as all chocolate/liver know too well!
Remember that pups have a different coat which drops/falls into adult coat.
We also tend to cut our dogs back to shorter coats which brings out the undercoat to the forefront, this coat can be different in colour.

If you are most worried about keeping a constant colour, get a black.
Or just love the ever changing cockapoo:)

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like Mandy said up there ^^^^

My Nell got darker as she got older. I've got pictures ranging from 1 day I
Old to current. Ill post some,
So Nell did the opposite! Her colour is lovely (what I'd prefer if I went for Apricot), thanks for all the fabulous pics!

I guess with Apricots it's a bit of a lottery then. :) Would be a nice contrast to Obi though....hmmm food for thought.
Thanks

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Miley my american cockapoo was one of the darkest in the litter and apart from the top of her head going quite light she is still a lovely red colour.
Ah she is a lovely colour too, gorgeous. Thanks for the pics :) Those three look good together, like a selection box!

I'm quite taken with this dark apricot colour.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I think a lot of people change their minds about the colour when they actually visit the litters, especially if there is a range of colours. Pups kind of have a way of choosing us I believe. You could go the 'open mind' route and see what or who you end up with!

Karen

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think a lot of people change their minds about the colour when they actually visit the litters, especially if there is a range of colours. Pups kind of have a way of choosing us I believe. You could go the 'open mind' route and see what or who you end up with!

Karen
Yep you could be right!

I also have to narrow down working versus show Mum or toy versus miniature Dad! The MOST important thing is to get a temperament that will compliment Obi's and work for my family with young kids. Sometimes having too much choice is not a good thing :confused:

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
If you find a litter here the dad is a red poodle then the apricot pups tend to be darker,mileys dad is a lovely red toy poodle and he always hasainly red/dark apricot pups that keep their colour.he has the odd cream one but in mileys litter you could tell staright away he as going to be paler:)

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you find a litter here the dad is a red poodle then the apricot pups tend to be darker,mileys dad is a lovely red toy poodle and he always hasainly red/dark apricot pups that keep their colour.he has the odd cream one but in mileys litter you could tell staright away he as going to be paler:)
Great tip, thanks Mandy :)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Ooh I love seeing all of these photos!! Its great to see how they change as they get older. I really hope our pup does choose us otherwise I'm going to end up going home with them all lol!! Keep the photos coming!!

Harri x

1 - 20 of 35 Posts