I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! First post here. My girlfriend and I are picking up our 10month male cockapoo tonight! We are very excited. We also have a mini lop bunny that is a "house rabbit.". From what i've read, these two should learn to get a long with some patience and work. My plan is to put a doggie gate up to seperate the two rooms that they will be in, and let them meet eachother at the gate. Should i wait a few days until my cockapoo is comfy in his new home? Or should i let them see eachother tonight, before the puppy feels any sense of territory?

Thanks very much! -Mike

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Hi & welcome :)
Souds interesting! I don't have experience of rabbits, but when we introduced our new puppy to our older dog we let them meet straight away, some other people may have better advice though (maybe those who have cats).
A 10 month old cockapoo? Lovely, what colour & *** is the pup? & what cocker x poodle mix?

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I have a bunny, a mini lop too....my bunny is allowed out of her cage just not all the time, and My puppy at 1 year is a little too playfull to have them fully meet. A meeting will take time...and with your cockapoo being 10 months already it may take a little longer, you will have to gage their personalities, and for a long while after they meet you will want to keep your dog on lead when around the bunny...just in-case...remember a dog is a natural predator of a rabbit. Good luck I am sure that they will be friends...but take your time with it

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello,
We have similar situation here - except free range garden rabbit and an 8 week old pup arriving on Sunday.
I'm not expecting any problems as the rabbit's bigger than the pup and he's so young. It might be more difficult with an older dog (have only got experience of cats and rabbits here).
But, if it helps, I know of a Shar Pei and a rabbit which were best of friends. The dog went into a deep depression when the rabbit was put to sleep. Again though it was a young puppy rather than an older dog.
Sounds like you've got the right approach though (we will be doing similar introducing the pup to our 2 year old cat).
Hope all goes well and keep us posted! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
PS : just had a thought........... have read that when introducing new with established - hold the puppy back and let the established animal have 'free reign' as it were. The puppy has to learn that the other animal is not for chasing!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Freddie the Bunny

Hi,
Mum and Dad have a bunny called Freddie. He comes into the house but goes upstairs to Rachel's room. I think its because I have a reputation of being on springs - which is probably true. I think bunnies should be able to take a bit of rough and tumble play and some nipping and don't see the problem. I think we are, however, destined not to meet.
FlynnXXX

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
PS : just had a thought........... have read that when introducing new with established - hold the puppy back and let the established animal have 'free reign' as it were. The puppy has to learn that the other animal is not for chasing!
Good luck with that:D:D You are right tho - this IS the theory. Betty
is 6 1/2 Months and still my 9 year old cat gets no peace!! I've tried everything..Ggrr.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ah how exciting. I would definitely introduce your new cockapoo to the rabbit straight away and agree with Green Fairy. Make sure you keep the dog tightly on a lead and let the dog know that that this is the bunnies home too. The rabbit should b allowed to roam freely whilst the dog is on the lead. Be warned, although perhaps not aggressive (although that could b a possibility) , cockapoos are bouncy and always want to play so he/she maybe a bit rough with ur bunny at first - hence the lead is definitely a good idea until u can trust ur new addition! x

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Hope it goes well, don't forget being spaniel and poodle both are hunting dogs and will naturally pick things up. We have two mini rexs and weller is quite good with them and they have no fear of him, he leaves them alone until they run and then they just become too tempting, not nastiness I am pretty sure but still not brave enough to have him off lead around them.
Good luck!!:)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Aw how cute! I spoke to my dad about this situation and he told me that when his cocker was a puppy (Scooby) used to get into the hutch with my dad's girlfriends rabbit and sleep in there with her!!! I will try and get a picture to upload on here. I had no idea but he is adament he has photographic evidence. Scooby is a gun dog too - trained not to get rabbits though - otherwise he wouldn't be very good at his job!! :) x

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hj just wondered how the rabbit and cockerpoo getting on as i am hoping to get puppy in april and i also have a house rabbit
Yes! Update please. Not been going too well with Ryley and our rabbit (semi wild and has the run of the garden). As Ryley's been getting bigger and quicker it's got to the point now where he's dangerously close to catching Jinx. :eek:
Plus as Jinx isn't that tame it's very difficult to catch him and put him away in the hutch!
All making toilet time pretty difficult ggggrrrrr!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
rabbit

Hi sorry to hear not going to well. Our rabbit is indoors always ,so hope they will get on well,and he is very friendly. How are you getting on with puppy otherwise, we used to have a bearded collie, but she passed away 3 years ago and our looking forward to having another dog in the house. Bye

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi sorry to hear not going to well. Our rabbit is indoors always ,so hope they will get on well,and he is very friendly. How are you getting on with puppy otherwise, we used to have a bearded collie, but she passed away 3 years ago and our looking forward to having another dog in the house. Bye
Hello! Ryley's my first dog and I've got to admit the first 4 weeks were hard work as everything was so new to me and I wasn't sure what to do for the best (like having a new baby!). Got through it with help/advice from experienced dog owning mates. But I've found the difference between an 8 w.o pup and a 12/13 w.o. is vast. He's now going through the night, waking later and not peeing every 5 seconds which is great. I love him to bits (apart from the rabbit situation!). :D

·
Registered
606 Posts
We have a garden rabbit who has a chicken coop off ground and a run attached, he's always been outside tho.
When we bought our puppies home he was there as normal but obviously behind mesh, they all sniffed each other and that was that, never had any issues.
Don't really know about house rabbits but I would be cautious, particularly as your new pup is older, you need to suss out his character a bit first and make sure he knows where he is in the pack ! Good luck !

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Frances,
I'm guessing as you've got the chicken coop your rabbit's not on the loose?
Ryley's ok until the rabbit moves then all hell breaks loose, even though we introduced them the first day I brought him home.
Very disappointed as only solutions seem to be never to let the dog in the garden, or keep the rabbit permanently shut away when he's had free run all his life.
I have a friend who had a Shar Pei from a pup (aggressive breed?) and he absolutely adored the rabbit they had so I was fairly sure everything would be ok for us. :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Frances,
I'm guessing as you've got the chicken coop your rabbit's not on the loose?
Ryley's ok until the rabbit moves then all hell breaks loose, even though we introduced them the first day I brought him home.
Very disappointed as only solutions seem to be never to let the dog in the garden, or keep the rabbit permanently shut away when he's had free run all his life.
I have a friend who had a Shar Pei from a pup (aggressive breed?) and he absolutely adored the rabbit they had so I was fairly sure everything would be ok for us. :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.