I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are currently looking for our 2nd cockapoo- but I can now see this going into next year now.

My daughter Isabel won't be happy- she wants one now as kids do!!

Bongo was from some-one in my husbands family who bred their cocker with a stud poodle and both had health tests. It was a one off mating as both breeder and other family members wanted a cockapoo. But they were experienced breeders not just breeding their pet for the sake of us wanting a puppy.

But I am finding it hard to find breeders who health test both mum & dad. Most seem to just test the poodles for PRA

Do they exsist even :(

I would prefer a small breeder but would consider a large one but not one that keeps churning them out all the time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm in just the same predicament Lulu-belle, Ive now contacted at least 20 breeders and I haven't been 100% comfortable with any of their breeding ethics for one reason or another, I'm getting quite disheartened tbh:(

Imo I think Cockapoos need a breed club with a strict code of ethics that the best breeders will adhere to? It would make it a lot easier for people like us to find and vet the responsible breeders:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in just the same predicament Lulu-belle, Ive now contacted at least 20 breeders and I haven't been 100% comfortable with any of their breeding ethics for one reason or another, I'm getting quite disheartened tbh:(

Imo I think Cockapoos need a breed club with a strict code of ethics that the best breeders will adhere to? It would make it a lot easier for people like us to find and vet the responsible breeders:)
I thought it was just me being fussy- so nice to hear you are of same mind set Jenny :)
Are you still going to look? or would you go for another dog?

What about the breeders on here, there are loads that have got puppies from jukeedoodles so they must be good.

I'm going to check them out ( hope they don't mind) as I was looking at some of their puppies on here and they are gorgeous.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
lol lulu-belle, you may want to change vets then before getting a cockapoo....lol my vet is a HUGE fan of cockapoos she got so excited when I got one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol lulu-belle, you may want to change vets then before getting a cockapoo....lol my vet is a HUGE fan of cockapoos she got so excited when I got one.
Well I already have Bongo and even though he is a bit pedigree snobby he is a good vet so have to put up with the good and bad.:p

·
Registered
206 Posts
I thought it was just me being fussy- so nice to hear you are of same mind set Jenny :)
Are you still going to look? or would you go for another dog?

What about the breeders on here, there are loads that have got puppies from jukeedoodles so they must be good.

I'm going to check them out ( hope they don't mind) as I was looking at some of their puppies on here and they are gorgeous.
No theres plenty of us who are choosey when it comes to finding a breeder:D, I'm not giving up on my quest, but if no one ticks all my boxes I wont compromise, my conscience would'nt allow it. I'll probably get a miniature poodle from a reputable breeder instead.

I make no secret that im not a fan of the type of breeder who breeds dogs on a big scale, I expect breeding dogs to be first and foremost family pets who spend their lives with the owners they love and who love them:)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
No theres plenty of us who are choosey when it comes to finding a breeder:D, I'm not giving up on my quest, but if no one ticks all my boxes I wont compromise, my conscience would'nt allow it. I'll probably get a miniature poodle from a reputable breeder instead.

I make no secret that im not a fan of the type of breeder who breeds dogs on a big scale, I expect breeding dogs to be first and foremost family pets who spend their lives with the owners they love and who love them:)
Jenny an unclipped poodle is just scummy!!! if you can't find your breeder ( I do hope so) for your cockapoo then a poodle is next best thing but none of those show poodle cuts!!!

I do like Standards poodles :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jenny an unclipped poodle is just scummy!!! if you can't find your breeder ( I do hope so) for your cockapoo then a poodle is next best thing but none of those show poodle cuts!!!

I do like Standards poodles :D
LOL I think the unclipped ones are scrummy too, my Hubby says if we do get a poodle we can't have it clipped in a show style,he says it would ruin his street cred:rolleyes: :D

I love Standards but I've had big breeds for years now and I'm wanting to downsize lol, my Daughter wants a smaller breed aswell, its going to be her dog, so she thinks;) .But we're in no rush at the moment, still hoping to find the right cockapoo:)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
We are currently looking for our 2nd cockapoo- but I can now see this going into next year now.

Bongo was from some-one in my husbands family who bred their cocker with a stud poodle and both had health tests. It was a one off mating as both breeder and other family members wanted a cockapoo. But they were experienced breeders not just breeding their pet for the sake of us wanting a puppy.

But I am finding it hard to find breeders who health test both mum & dad. Most seem to just test the poodles for PRA

Hi lulu belle,

Are you planning to breed from your new cockapoo? I thought that only one of the dogs needed to be PRA tested if the litter were just for pets??

I stand corrected if im wrong as im not a breeder.

If your not interested in larger breeders thats Jandaz and jukee doodles out of the question then ,there is another lady on here jojo who i think is going to start breeding soon but i dont think they are going to be F1's but im sure she will be testing both parents for PRA so it might be worth talking to her?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Even though they do breed professionally though most bigger breeders still have family pets that live in their houses that they breed, so they're still very loved & cared for, it doesn't make the puppies worse :s so why not a well known breeder? At least you know they'll be right seen as they're licensed. I got my first cockapoo from Anthony at Anzil & we're about to get a second one, but every has different preferences, but it's worth a look...

http://anzilcockapoo.com/default.aspx

·
Registered
6 Posts

I would prefer a small breeder but would consider a large one but not one that keeps churning them out all the time.
This is the reason I want artificial insemination there are several clinics who can do significant tests on both dogs prior to mating. Cross breeding can bring many genetic health problems that can be revealed, it is also a much less stressful for the bitch with a very high rate of conception success.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts