I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am really looking forward to collecting our little Cockapoo puppy at the beginning of March. I have a 7 year old boy and a 3.5yr old (going on 13yr old) little girl. We decided on a Cockapoo as they’re good with children (along with all of their other great benefits). However I’ve been reading some other forums suggesting 3.5yr old may be too young. Im fully aware there’s learning and understanding on all parts but I was wondering if anybody has had a Cockapoo get on well with a 3.5yr old? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Pups mouth and bite and will chase both your children unless every single interaction is managed for months to come. Children getting worried and running away will excite the pup even more so to a degree it depends less on the age of the children and more the amount of work and supervision and separation you are able to carry out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. We are definitely ready for lots of hard work, training on all parts. Growing up with dogs I definitely remember the lovely things of growing up with a dog so I’m really hoping that in time my children can have the same experiences. Probably a good point that you make that it’s not to do with the age but the effort that you out in. I’m going to pop a dog gate up at the playroom door so that the kids can get their toys out without fear of pup eating them (and harming herself) and also get a super snuggly crate so pup can have some alone time when needed from the kids. X

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Perfect - most families are unprepared for the teeth so talking to your children in advance can help - and I have seen families where the children have ‘house wellies’ so they can walk without fearing a puppy nibbling their toes

·
Registered
65 Posts
Our youngest was nine when we got our puppy and he often used to cry because our puppy would chase him and bite his feet. We went to an amazing puppy class where the trainer picked up on his nerves and did lots of one to one work with him to help him gain confidence. He did a lot of the activities during the class and he learnt what to do to calm our dog down. She did the same with other families who had much younger families.
It was a challenging time but so rewarding for all of us.

Good luck, it will be like having another child but after a year you'll have the perfect addition to your family.

Xx

·
Registered
192 Posts
The wellies idea sounds perfect. Our youngest was 10 when we got our pup. Even though he was used to our other two older dogs he was quite distressed at times by puppy nipping. A separate safe area for both children and puppy is the way to go. We also took our two boys to puppy training classes so they could see and hear what the trainer was advising and she was great at tailoring stuff to them. Puppies finding squealing children so attractive. The other thing that we found important was to make sure that pup got enough sleep and to keep them all separate at his zoomie time just after teatime, when the nipping was much more random and determined.
Even though puppy classes aren’t running it would be good to get in touch with a trainer so you can get booked onto the next available one and if needed you could arrange a one to one to get you started. Even though our children are 12 and 14 now we still try not to leave them unsupervised together for long. Like mmansf says after the first year things settle down, but that first year can be quite challenging at times. It sounds like you’ve put a lot of thought into things already- have fun!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello
I am really looking forward to collecting our little Cockapoo puppy at the beginning of March. I have a 7 year old boy and a 3.5yr old (going on 13yr old) little girl. We decided on a Cockapoo as they’re good with children (along with all of their other great benefits). However I’ve been reading some other forums suggesting 3.5yr old may be too young. Im fully aware there’s learning and understanding on all parts but I was wondering if anybody has had a Cockapoo get on well with a 3.5yr old? Thanks in advance.
We have a 10 week old Cockapoo, and 10 and 3 year old granddaughters. My youngest granddaughter is terrified of our puppy. She does bite and chase her, but mostly hangs out. Still, our granddaughter wants nothing to do with her. Seriously, she freaks out. I think it is going to be a while before they bond. I did have her hand feed our puppy and that was a good thing…let me know how it works out for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts