I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new to the forum and it's great for us newbies.
We are wanting to buy a cockapoo after much research on different breeds but is there any rule of thumb regarding size we are wanting one around 15" tall, should we be looking at a cross with a miniature poodle to try and guarantee a smaller dog.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
My Lady was a miniture cross...she is about 13" high and weighs 14 pounds. at 8 months

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
all 4 of my girls are minni cross' my 3 eldist are English min and are all around 17"- 18" my youngest is an american and only about 16"

if you want smaller you are looking at toy cross, but then again it depends on the size of mum and dad. my americans mum was big for an american and her dad who is Echos dad was also quite big for a mini poodle.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
cockapoos can vary alot, if you are looking for smaller pups make sure the parents are smaller

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
They do vary a lot. DYlan is a toy cross but quite large for a toy I think. He is about 14 to 15 inches. We saw a miniature recently who was the same size as him, but have met others who were much bigger

·
Registered
606 Posts
My 2 vary greatly, same mum, blue roan english cocker, 2 different miniature poodle dads. Scamps dad was 16inches, Rascals smaller and it shows !
Scamp is 19 inches and hopefully stopped growing, ha ha !! He has a longer body as well.
Rascal is 16 inches.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Toy poodle to American Cocker will result in the smallest fully grown dogs.
Miniature Poodle to English Show Cocker could produce a larger dog (as English Show Cockers are more of a uniform size - due to them having been breed to a Breed Standard as such)
Miniature Poodle to English Working Cockers can vary - as Working Cockers are typically bred by GameKeepers to do a job - so the size can vary.

The important factor here is to make sure you see both parents - and that they fit the size guide you seek.

Also - please bare in mind what "type" of "Cockapoo" suits Your lifestyle - as "Cockapoo" is just a generic term for a very varied range of lovely dogs - looks; temperament; size; shape and ability all vary under that name.

Stephen xx

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Toy poodle to American Cocker will result in the smallest fully grown dogs.
Miniature Poodle to English Show Cocker could produce a larger dog (as English Show Cockers are more of a uniform size - due to them having been breed to a Breed Standard as such)
Miniature Poodle to English Working Cockers can vary - as Working Cockers are typically bred by GameKeepers to do a job - so the size can vary.

The important factor here is to make sure you see both parents - and that they fit the size guide you seek.

Also - please bare in mind what "type" of "Cockapoo" suits Your lifestyle - as "Cockapoo" is just a generic term for a very varied range of lovely dogs - looks; temperament; size; shape and ability all vary under that name.

Stephen xx
ah forgot to say that Gypsy is my smalest English and her mum was a working cocker.

·
Registered
235 Posts
To be honest you are only talking of a couple of inches either way I would be more inclined to check the parents health eyes test and joints with the amount of difference this has to be more important, you will love your cockerpoo I just know you will

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oscar's dad was a toy poodle his mum a blue roan cocker and Oscar was the runt. He weighs an almighty 2.2 kg ;) and towers in at 8.5 inches to his shoulder lol!! I hope he has a growth spurt !!!! Oh he was born on 29th Jan my pita wotsit says how old he is in weeks x

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Oscar's dad was a toy poodle his mum a blue roan cocker and Oscar was the runt. He weighs an almighty 2.2 kg ;) and towers in at 8.5 inches to his shoulder lol!! I hope he has a growth spurt !!!! Oh he was born on 29th Jan my pita wotsit says how old he is in weeks x
u are due for a growth spurt soon, Lady had one around then, it was a huge difference!

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
size wise ... as you have read above they can vary a few inches either way ... my advice would be to view both mum and dad's size.... enjoy your puppy buying experience. Meeting the parents has got to be important (health, looks, character, size) and then love & enjoy your little cockapoo puppy.....

U will turn cockapoo crazy like all of us on here :)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Inches .. centimetres ... well men can't measure can they !!!!

I bet I get feedback from that statement ... chuckling here

1 - 20 of 26 Posts