I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:eek::eek::eek:

So here is my first potentially stupid question.. I have been reading up on puppy training etc. The book says that a pup/dog should always wear a collar and tag, apart from when in his/her crate in case it gets snagged on something.. I hadn't been planning on taking the collar off and on all the time, but I assume this is correct?!

:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
omg never even thought of that!
Im too busy having a dilemma over how the hell am i going to pick up poo ! lol:(
Anyone recommend a good pooper scooper??
Im such a girl!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
omg never even thought of that!
Im too busy having a dilemma over how the hell am i going to pick up poo ! lol:(
Anyone recommend a good pooper scooper??
Im such a girl!!!
Ha ha Donna this has been on my mind too :eek: I'm assuming it's a bit like babies - happy to change your own baby's nappy but retch at the thought of doing someone elses :D

It's the thought of the warmth through the plastic bag that is so appealing ... not!! Pooper scooper advice needed here too. Best wishes, Karen x

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Sarette - You obviously wont need to worry for a few weeks as pup wont be going out fully until fully covered by their vaccinations - and added to the fact that We suggest people dont use a proper collar and tag until pup is at least 6 months old - due to the rapid rate of growth and the need to keep an eye on a collar (for early days we suggest a small webbing one to start with that can be adjusted without issue due to the pin of the buckle being able to puncture the webbing anywhere).

And girls - Poo picking is a doddle (or even a doodle ! - and Yes even a Doo Doo !!) - no seriously it can take a certain mind-set and Yes even I have wretched at times - but we now do JD BARF so I have no issues whatsoever xxx

I have never tried "Poo Pickers" but think that A) they would get poo on them so they would need to be held away from the body (good look !) and B) they would need cleaning too !!!
Always keep a load of bags stashed in handy pockets and in easy to reach places.

ONE suggestion - is buy Lavender scented nappy sacks as poo bags.
Another suggestion is take nose plugs ! lol
Another suggestion is task another member of your family !
Last suggestion would be to......man-up !

Stephen xx

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My Mum used to have a "poo spoon" which was basically an old tablespoon lol. Ooh I have a small compost scoop thing that would probably make a great pooper scooper, I may get another one of those for the job.. I am hoping by feeding NI, that the poos will be small and inoffensive to my eyes and nose and therefore I won't mind just using an inside out bag on my hand :D

Thanks Stephen for your reply, I didn't know that it wasn't advised, typical as I have bought a small nylon collar already!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I agree with Stephen - pooper scoopers are not great as you have to put the bag over the scooper and scoop it up!! The bag sometimes falls off or you end up with poo on it :( The best thing is to just put the bag inside out and then put your hand in it like a glove and pick up the poo then get the handles and the poo drops inside of the bag and you do it up!! I promise after the first couple of times you will get over the yuk factor... I even have my 17 year old daughter doing it now even though she said she never, ever, ever would lol :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Ummmmm nearly passed out today while looking after my cousins cockapoo,picking up poo is gross!!
Hence my new found fear
Note to self .... Get husband to pick up poo in garden
..... Buy a soft nose peg
..... Get feeding that NI diet asap for those non smelling 70's poo's

Also Sarah ,dog poo smells so much worse then baby doo doo:D

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Just had a thought also buy some rubber gloves so i dont feel what im touching!

Omg dog lovers will think im mad ha ha

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
My Mum used to have a "poo spoon" which was basically an old tablespoon lol. Ooh I have a small compost scoop thing that would probably make a great pooper scooper, I may get another one of those for the job.. I am hoping by feeding NI, that the poos will be small and inoffensive to my eyes and nose and therefore I won't mind just using an inside out bag on my hand :D

Thanks Stephen for your reply, I didn't know that it wasn't advised, typical as I have bought a small nylon collar already!
OMG i hope that spoon never got put back in the cutlery draw ha ha

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No worries, it was completely different to the others and was kept in a special place!

I might get some rubber gloves too haha!!

Reactions: DONNA

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
You do get used to picking up poo. Most definitely similar mindset as dealing with your own baby's nappy and then thinking its gross doing other people's baby nappy.

Definitely going onto the NI diet makes poo's much more 'friendly', small, firm and low odour :D

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You do get used to picking up poo. Most definitely similar mindset as dealing with your own baby's nappy and then thinking its gross doing other people's baby nappy.

Definitely going onto the NI diet makes poo's much more 'friendly', small, firm and low odour :D
Yay for 'friendly' poos! That's what I hope for :D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sainsburys sell 100 scented nappy sacks for 8p!!! They were half price a fortnight ago so 100 for 4p! :twothumbs:

I was worried they wouldn't be strong enough and started off double bagging but the bags are fine. An extremely cheap alternative to the ones they try to sell in the pet shops at an outragous price :eek:

·
Registered
858 Posts
How funny, the thought of picking up dog poo doesn't bother me one bit!!! Maybe because I have chicken and have never had a problem with their poop??? I'm definitely for the bag inside out method. My mum has a poop scoop and my sister (who has a dog) and I were laughing at her the other day as she was getting in such a pickle with the scoop and trying to get the poo inside the bag without getting the scoop dirty. It was so funny to watch. My sister then did her dog's poo in seconds using the bag inside out method. That's the way to go :D.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
never had a problemn with collars and crates. my girls bothe have flat collar tags that dont dangle off the collar and the ones that do dangle, never had an isue with them

·
Registered
8,257 Posts

Donna .. I so need to follow you on a dog walk ... I will have three leads .. pooh bags in my back pocket and full bags swinging from my fingers .. and you will be wearing rubber gloves .. can you help me out mate :)

·
Banned
1,872 Posts

LOL !!!!!!!!

Picture the scene - walking a dog - the dog does the deed - don your trusty Marigolds and pick up said offensive item - standing in a Park / Wood / Field / Playground / garden holding dog poo in rubber gloves - - - what do you do next ????.......Oh - put poo in a bag xxx ........what about taking off said gloves ???......what happens to gloves ????

Me xx

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've never had a problem picking up poo, use the hand in bag method. Its what you do with the bag before you can get ride of it, if I have a waterproof coat on it just in my pocket (mite be gross to some). But most of the time I use a climbing chalk bag like the one in this link
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/dipper-chalk-bag-p173995

You can carry your poo bags a ball or any other bit of kit in them depending on the size you get, or this purpose made bag very expensive.

http://www.xtradog.com/shop/other-products/dicky-bags.html

Both dogs have their collars on all the time and I use the expandable nylon type with flat tags from boomerang tags in the USA.

http://www.boomerangtags.com/index.php

1 - 20 of 55 Posts