I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Is it recommended to put a collar on a pup when you fetch it home or wait a while?

Also which collars are preferred, metal links or fabric collars.

Anal question i know but i feel myself draw to the dog sections in stores at the moment and cant resist buying the little purchases.:D

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Ha, yes I was exactly the same. We only had a week to wait for her, thankfully, otherwise I would have spent a fortune!

I bought a puppy collar because it looked cute (pink leather) and put it on her straight away because it would be easy for someone to leave our gate open and for us not to realise and then when we opened the back door, Rosie might have got straight out onto the road. For the first few weeks, I took it off every time she went in the cage, but then I realised that she was spending ages without it on, because I wasn't religiously putting it back on when she came out (the race to get her out for a wee....). So I looked into the issue and decided the risk was small, and left it on her all the time.

I soon swapped collars to a fabric one when I realised the leather one would go hard if it got wet. But by then, she was too big for the puppy one anyway.

Don't forget your tag - just you contact details, not your puppy's name. Kendal has a link to ones that lie flat on the collar if you are worried about it getting caught on the cage.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I was told just a soft puppy one in the early days but a rolled leather one in the long run. Dogs with long hair suffer with matting under the collar but the rolled ones seem to prevent this. I have ordered a small Ancol rolled leather collar and lead which arrived today! It seems nice and supple as I have heard some people say they were too rigid. I guess as its leather it will soften with time aswell. :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hi Sarah - could you let me know what happens when it gets wet? Don't feel you have to dunk Daisy in the bath immediately you get her or anything ;) but I would like to know as I've not found a fabric collar I actually like the look of yet (It's okay because you can't actuall ysee them under Rosie's shaggy do at the moment!), but I was worried about this tendency for the leather to harden.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Hi Sarah - could you let me know what happens when it gets wet? Don't feel you have to dunk Daisy in the bath immediately you get her or anything ;) but I would like to know as I've not found a fabric collar I actually like the look of yet (It's okay because you can't actuall ysee them under Rosie's shaggy do at the moment!), but I was worried about this tendency for the leather to harden.
Maybe I could dunk the collar in the sink and report back tomorrow! ;) :D

Now there's a thought...I have not heard about what would happen when it gets wet! Maybe someone on here already has some experience!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I've just bought a "Small Bite" small collar and lead set made by Ancol, says its ideal for puppies and small dogs. Its made of soft nylon webbing fabric with no holes on the collar - means you can adjust it to any size. :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Ha, yes I was exactly the same. We only had a week to wait for her, thankfully, otherwise I would have spent a fortune!

I bought a puppy collar because it looked cute (pink leather) and put it on her straight away because it would be easy for someone to leave our gate open and for us not to realise and then when we opened the back door, Rosie might have got straight out onto the road. For the first few weeks, I took it off every time she went in the cage, but then I realised that she was spending ages without it on, because I wasn't religiously putting it back on when she came out (the race to get her out for a wee....). So I looked into the issue and decided the risk was small, and left it on her all the time.

I soon swapped collars to a fabric one when I realised the leather one would go hard if it got wet. But by then, she was too big for the puppy one anyway.

Don't forget your tag - just you contact details, not your puppy's name. Kendal has a link to ones that lie flat on the collar if you are worried about it getting caught on the cage.
Glad you said this as i would of put his name on the tag

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Glad you said this as i would of put his name on the tag
It's to deter dognappers, who might use it to convince people that the dog is theirs. Probably more important when the dog is older and knows its name! Most people put their surname, their house number and postcode and a mobile phone number (and get micochipped too!)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
It's to deter dognappers, who might use it to convince people that the dog is theirs. Probably more important when the dog is older and knows its name! Most people put their surname, their house number and postcode and a mobile phone number (and get micochipped too!)
I only found this out last week when ordering ours. My daughter told me that someone she knows actually has a different name on the collar which then acts like a code word. So if the dog is found and the dognapper person uses this name the owner will know that it is her dog and that they are only using the name on the collar. Does that make sense....? :confused:

Anyway, I just put our surname, tel.no. etc on it! No spywork for me! :spy:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I only found this out last week when ordering ours. My daughter told me that someone she knows actually has a different name on the collar which then acts like a code word. So if the dog is found and the dognapper person uses this name the owner will know that it is her dog and that they are only using the name on the collar. Does that make sense....? :confused:

Anyway, I just put our surname, tel.no. etc on it! No spywork for me! :spy:
That makes no sense to me! But then, so does a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Ok, I have just held it under the tap! See what I am will to do for you! ;)

The water just ran off it. I think it is because Ancol collars are softened with oil so this will offer a degree of water resistancy. It does not even feel wet. I wont be using it yet but just getting prepared! :D

Hope my experiment is helpful! :D

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Izzy has a pink leather puppy collar waiting for her, until she is big enough for the pink diamonte version :D Thanks for the tip about not putting her name on the tag - will need to get another new one for Phoebe too!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I use nylon adjustable collars for my girls not had any problems with mating.

Here is a link to site in the USA for flat tags could be the same tags Indigo sell with the exchange rate they work out slightly cheaper add $2 for postage. They have a very quick turn around of orders. If you scroll down the page there is a mini adjustable collar I got this one for Poppy and now Rosie is wearing it, it is very soft and good quality. Rosie has worn it for day one and didn't seem to notice it. $16.22 shipped about £10.50 complete with tag.

http://www.boomerangtags.com/store/list.php?A=G&ID=5

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm trying to decide what to put on Max's tag.. it feels a bit silly putting my name on there? Help!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ok, I have just held it under the tap! See what I am will to do for you! ;)

The water just ran off it. I think it is because Ancol collars are softened with oil so this will offer a degree of water resistancy. It does not even feel wet. I wont be using it yet but just getting prepared! :D

Hope my experiment is helpful! :D
We've been using a rolled leather collar for our JRT for some time now. She swims in it regularly and it doesnt seem to harden. We did oil it when we first bought it but done nothing to it since.

They are very good for holding tags but I wouldn't attach a lead to it. We use a slip lead.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Thanks Col. So do I have to put our name on, or can I use that line for an extra phone number?

"The Control of Dogs Order 1992 mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address (including postcode) of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag. Your telephone number is optional (but advisable)."

I was thinking either

MOORE FAMILY
42 POSTCODE
MOBILE NO
MICROCHIPPED

or

42 POSTCODE
HOME PHONE
MOBILE NO
MICROCHIPPED

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm going for one of the flat ones, so only engraved on one side. 4 lines of max 14 characters per line... it's hurting my brain lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts