I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

Coming into ~Season

12K views 95 replies 30 participants last post by  JoJo 
#1 ·
:confused:Hope everyone is having a good bank holiday.

Collected Betty from my mum on Friday as I had been away for a week, on Saturday morning I noticed blood on my duvet! Betty has come into season (eight months).

I went to pets at home and bought some sort of contraption with a little pad in to help with any mess but she wouldn't co operate and let me put it on her. Am frankly surprised at how much of a mess there is, luckily I don't have carpets downstairs and can mop up after her. I have looked on the internet and the bleeding can last up to ten days apparantly.

Some internet sites say you can walk the dog with care, others say keep her in.

If anybody has any useful advice I would be very grateful.

Jane

#2 ·
walk her in quiet arias at times you dont normaly see other dogs out, and keep her on lead.

but you may need to keep her in more than normal, just making walks short ones and doing some extra play in the garden.

never had a bitch in season, but most tend to be good at cleaning up after themselves from what ive been told.

#3 ·
My Betty came into season at about 9 months and what we did notice that the blood was worse in the morning when she got up or if she had been lying down for awhile. Betty's bleeding did last around 10 days with the first week probably the heaviest bleeding (which really wasn't that much in all honesty). You may find she is sick or a bit off colour as Betty had a couple of very tired and clingy days and was sick a couple of times as she was washing herself so much.

As for walking her, we walked her pretty much as normal. Luckily she was at my parents when she was in season (didn't think it was fair inflicting a dog in season on my dog walker!!) and as there aren't loads of dogs around it was no hassle whatsoever and we didn't find other dogs were too bad for following her around. However I have heard of other people saying that their dog has attracted huge attention when they were in season so like Kendal said I would walk her in "off peak" times.

#5 ·
Dogs can always be spayed before first season if worried about dealing with a season.

I must say that I was feeling pretty squeamish as well and asked my vet to spay pre-season but she wouldn't as she feels that a dog should develop fully before being spayed. I was also keen to do agility and felt that a pre-season spay might interrupt her skeletal and muscle development so decided to wait.

In the end Flo's season was fairly uneventful with very little 'mess' (they keep themselves clean pretty much and I only had to mop up the odd spot of blood) and it wasn't that much hassle to keep her in for a couple of weeks and exercise her in the garden with a ball.

I think if you are getting a dog you need to take on all sorts of stuff. They eat horse muck and rabbit droppings, you have to twist off ticks and today I had to perform emergency thorn extraction from one of her pads mid walk!!!!!!!

#7 ·
Really? My vet predicted 9 months for Betty and he was pretty spot on!

All I can say is that when people said their bits get swollen and you'd noticed it I thought "Betty is so fluffy there is no way I'll see it". How wrong was I!!!!!! I am surprised she wasn't walking like John Wayne her bits were so swollen!!!

#10 ·
i know a two bitches who didnt have their seasons till they were around 13 months old.

all out girls were done before their first season as it is ment to preven manery cancer in leter life as thats waht both my mums cockers had and they had a season and were then spayed.

#11 ·
Jules is spot on - Betty is very swollen. I think she is a little perplexed, not sure if she is licking herself enough. I am intending to get her spayed after this, was always intending to let her have her first season and then to have the op. Poor thing is very puzzled by her inability to just jump on the bed or settee at random - sheet now needed at all times! Tonight she has been trying to jump up on my lap, so difficult particularly when it is routine. Still very loving though, she has not got an unpleasant bone in her body.

We have as Kendal suggested been out off peak (on the lead) and have met a couple of other dogs who have not been at all bothered by her. I think it is in a few days time when she is receptive to males. Perhaps then I will keep her in.

A dog is for life and whilst this is as mew to me as it is to her, she is so worthwhile.

Jane

#13 ·
Keira came into season at 7 months a few days before she was due to be spayed ( great timing:(). It wasn't a big deal, she kept herself very clean & was just a bit more tired than normal. I think the bleeding lasted about 10 days but mostly wasn't very noticeable. We walked as normal just kept her on the lead all the time - we don't meet that many other dogs though. What was more of a problem was the phantom pregnancy she had a few weeks later, we had no idea what was going on as she was so clingy and just didn't want to do anything. She also became obsessed with her mini space hopper, carrying it round everywhere and whining at it all the time. It took her about 3 or 4 weeks to get over it. She was spayed about 3 months after her season & has seemed much happier since - don't think the hormones agreed with her!

#15 ·
I'm happy to deal with the horse muck and pulling splinters out! Told you I was weird lol.

This thread makes interesting reading though, so who knows, maybe I will change my mind :)

#21 ·
If Keira had been behaving as weird as Betty was you would have noticed - she kept trying to get under things and backing into corners, it was really bizarre!! Also she didn't want to be on the floor and would scrabble to be picked up which is really unlike her unless she is just happy to see you!

#26 · (Edited)
A useful thing to use in the house when a bitch is in season is a pair of girls pants, with a whole cut in for the tail to go through. Stops lots of drips and mess. Do take them off when you go out........although it would be a bit of a passion killer if a random dog did take a fancy to her.

Our girls are in the kennels so mess is easy to wash down. We get another side effect of the hormones.......'girl on girl' action all the time. It's a good thing women don't react like dogs....or maybe some of the men wished we did. LOL:decision:

Julia

#27 ·
can one of you expert members do a chart / poll on ... age of first season ?

I know kendal done a poll on prefered cockapoo coat colour which looked great ....can someone do something for first season to help all the owners with bitches ... just wondering :s

#33 ·
Update on Betty

One week later and I think things are getting a little easier - have been out walking her although at different times so she is a little confused. Met another dog the other evening - her friend Charlie (a male dog) who is about six weeks older than Betty, to be honest we didn't notice anything different about their greeting (they were both on the lead). However, don't want to take any chances.

Interesting take re dog size, Betty is a large cockapoo, she must be 18 or 19 inches high now and at least 22 lbs ( I haven't weighed or measured her recently so I imagine she is more). Have met three cockapoos recently and she was at least a third bigger. Whilst she doesn't carry any fat, she is a tall dog. I have to put a lot of stuff out of her way as when she jumps up on her back legs she is very tall indeed. When she lays out flat, end to end she goes on forever...

#36 ·
Update on Betty - day 17 and not stopped yet!

Walking as per usual, no trouble to date with any other dogs - just totally surprised at how 'messy' it has been. I am afraid I am an owner that lets the dog sit on the sofa and bed - boy it has been difficult these past few weeks, everything is now covered in sheets/towells!

And by the way, Betty now has nipples.

Jane

#37 ·
Just noticed this thread - Maisy was 10 months old when she came into season, she obviously had bucket loads of hormones compared to some! - she was very clingy, went off her food completely and just seemed so sad through the whole thing, bless her. It lasted for 4 weeks and she attracted lots of boys!! :eek: (During one walk I had to lift her up to save her from the over amorous advances of a Springer Spaniel!!) :D lol. We are having her spayed at the end of the month, as it will be 3 months since her season ended then. She was also very swollen, it was a bit messy at first but she did keep herself really clean. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.