I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am deciding on a Cockapoo puppy that is dark chocolate with small blonde highlights on head and upper feet/ankle area. Also it has a dark streak along the tail. The breeder believes that it’s a Sable, I thought it might be a phantom but there are no light brows. The mom is a solid apricot and dad a solid dark chocolate. The pup is just a few days old so it’s difficult to tell how this lighter color will play out. However, is this initial color coordination commonly found in Sables?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
No idea from description but if it is sable just be aware the adult dog will be very different from the puppy. I don’t have any puppy pictures of Molly as she came to me as an adult but she is sable and was sold as Black and Tan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! I don’t mind the color change. I sort of like knowing that my puppy will have its own unique look and I totally love the look of Molly

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Any photos of your pup? I know you have been looking for a good long time so looking forward to meeting your new addition

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have some real pictures soon. Still waiting for her eyes to open :) I am looking forward to introducing her as well. Thank you so much for your support. It's been rough.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No idea from description but if it is sable just be aware the adult dog will be very different from the puppy. I don’t have any puppy pictures of Molly as she came to me as an adult but she is sable and was sold as Black and Tan View attachment 131012
The good thing about my breeder is that she has been very honest with me. She explained how I needed to be sure that a Sable Cockapoo is what I "really" wanted and emphasized that the puppy will NOT stay chocolate. She explained if fading was going to be a problem for me, that I should wait for another litter. However, I really liked the coloring of the parents, dad chocolate and mom dark apricot so maybe I'll end up with a beautiful Miss Molly like you did. To me the most important thing is health, testing, temperament and being happy with the Sire and Dam. Like Forrest Grump said..."Life is like a box of chocolate" So there is one thing that is for sure...she's starting off solid chocolate with very few golden highlights and virtually no white, except a small dot on her chest that is barely visible. So maybe we'll get carmel or a little of both. That what I love about Sables, there are no "two" alike and I really wanted a unique look. I think that's why I chose this particular pup. If I survived 2020 and January 6th of 2021, a Cockapoo color change will be a piece of cake. Bring it on! LOL

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Perfect - yes health testing, temperament and the parents are the most important thing and the breeder sounds excellent to emphasise the colour will change. Yes as you say surviving this strange world has been quite a challenge so it is lovely to have something positive to look forward to and you will need to share lots of photos!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perfect - yes health testing, temperament and the parents are the most important thing and the breeder sounds excellent to emphasise the colour will change. Yes as you say surviving this strange world has been quite a challenge so it is lovely to have something positive to look forward to and you will need to share lots of photos!!
I couldn't agree with you more! This is why I stayed on the Breeders list for so long. It's worth the wait when a breeder does health testing and evaluates temperament. Oh and I do love the parents. I waiedt 6 months for this litter and was not about to to pass up a puppy. I wanted a girl and she was the only girl in the litter... a Sable. I had hoped to choose from several girls but would need to choose different parents if I wanted that choice within the next year. With all that is going on in the world, I decided to name my dear girl Nadya which means "hope" and oh how the world needs hope right about now. I enclosed a photo of Nadya when she was only a day or two old. She is shy of one week old and is not quite two weeks as of yet so I'll get more photos of her next week. Can't wait. What do you think of her in terms of what what she might look like? She is an F3 but It's just so hard to tell at this age, isn't it? She if very dark chocolate but has some soft highlights and virtually no white or hightlights in the root. Mother is dark Apricot (Cocker) and father is Deep Chocolate (Poodle). BUT we know how Sables can evolve so her current color means absolutely nothing. The breeder emphasized that point clearly.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Oh beautiful baby - I am going to enjoy following her progress as she grows! No real idea what she will look like but I love her name and you are so right about parents and health tests - all about aiming for a happy healthy pup to live happily ever after. My other girl was exactly that - an accidental litter but I knew her mum very well and knew she was good and fit and healthy and also knew her dad although less well. She has been such a fabulous dog who fits into my life perfectly.

For the record - Molly came from a poor breeder and has struggled with joint problems much of her life as well as stomach problems. She also came with a whole lost of behaviour issues - I love her to bits but she has been one of the toughest dogs I have every had. She still has those white areas but is so light (and usually so filthy!) they only show up when you really look for them. The tips of her ears and tail were more black when she was younger but have faded to a more slate grey colour now

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awww, thank you so very much! I can't wait for her eyes to open up later this week. That's when it will really feel like she's all mine! I have no idea what she will look like but because of the great genes of her parents and strong solid colors, especially from her dad that had never had a pup that faded, I'm hoping she won't fade too much but if she ends up looking like a Cheetah, I'm okay with that too! LOL. I am really not at all sure that she is "really" a sable. I think she's a chocolate "through and through" but what do I know? So, I'm just going to focus on health, testing and temperament which are strong in both parents. Who is your other girl? I thought you only had Molly!

I am so sorry to hear that Molly came from a poor breeder. What's wrong with these people? I feel horrible for any animal that is being mistreated. Nothing makes my blood boil like "cruelty to animals." It sounds as if Molly landed in the lap of a guardian angel...yours! They say that fading is a combination of a lot of things, genes, grandparent effect, harsh hot weather, grooming...diet...so who knows. I've also heard that F1's lose their color more than F3's, 4's and 5's but there are so many schools of thoughts out there...that you just have to veer on the side of health and longevity. I used to have a dog whose coat virtually bleached itself from her sitting in the sun all day. She was definitely a sun bather. Hah!

Thanks for taking my new Cockapoo puppy ride with me. It's going to be a wonderful adventure.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Yup health and longevity are the most important things in the world so colour and changes if any will just be a nice surprise along the way.

My other dog is Chance who is a border collie x Labrador. She has grown from this little scrap

To this slightly larger scrap

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes! I also say that my puppy will be a Cockapoo "original" and being "different" is always a good thing! LOL. Oh I absolutely love the look of Chance! It seems that he and Molly really love each other. Such sweet pictures of them both.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts