I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey wondering if anyone has any advice…
My nearly 6 month old cockapoo is constantly eating my grass - not only is my nice (fairly) new lawn ruined but it makes toilet times quite difficult. He only seems to do it when the weather is nice and wants to be in the garden, and I’m sure he isn’t trying to make himself sick as he has done it ever since it’s been done. I’ve tried to take him out on a lead for toilet, but he just sits and won’t move with the lead on. Has anyone got any advice please?

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Grass eating is fairly normal for dogs, almost every dog I have ever had has munched on nice fresh grass and the sort of grass eating they do when they are feeling sick is a very different much more desperate type of grass eating.

How is it making toilet training difficult as by six months pups often have a good grasp of it - but in a dogs view going outside is all about having a mooch, sniff and bite of grass and then toilet rather than a super speedy pee and back in the house. If you need him to be in and out quickly maybe a smaller area with just slabs might work?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grass eating is fairly normal for dogs, almost every dog I have ever had has munched on nice fresh grass and the sort of grass eating they do when they are feeling sick is a very different much more desperate type of grass eating.

How is it making toilet training difficult as by six months pups often have a good grasp of it - but in a dogs view going outside is all about having a mooch, sniff and bite of grass and then toilet rather than a super speedy pee and back in the house. If you need him to be in and out quickly maybe a smaller area with just slabs might work?
sorry maybe worded it wrong or maybe not explained properly! He’s pretty well toilet trained now, I mean toilet breaks are more difficult. He can sometimes make the ‘signs’ that he needs to go out, but can spend 15/20 minutes chewing up the grass instead of going. I don’t usually need him to go quickly for any reason, but I also don’t want to leave him outside for too long as I don’t think I’d have much grass left!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Careful with grass eating. My brother’s dog has stomach issues and often ate grass to make himself sick, which fair enough, but the vet told them to be careful because grass can actually be uite sharp for dogs and hurt their throat. 99.9% it’s fine, but it scared me at least

1 - 4 of 4 Posts