I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have been wanted to buy a puppy for a few years now, and after much research on different breeds I now have my heart set on a Cockapoo.

I am in 35 and have a house with a large garden and will be looking after the puppy on my own (with some help from dad when I am at work). I have never had a dog, so owning one will be a totally new experience for me.

Despite all the research I have done, the one thing I have not manged to get any information on is the cost of owning a puppy. By that I don't mean the one off cost like buying the puppy, it's bed, crate, toys etc. I am intrested to know what the on going costs are (preferably on a monthly basis). I know this will be different for every dog, but any sort of information would be a big help.

How much do people spend each money on food, grooming, insurance, vet bills, necessary procedures like spaying/netuering etc, puppy classes, and anything else that I may have missed.

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think that’s a really difficult question. I’d guess approximately around £50
Insurance, pet cover, food, odd toys

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
One thing you need to be prepared for is the cost of emergency vet care! Molly is insured but generally you pay first and then claim back so it is wise to think ahead about how you will handle a 10pm at night emergency when the vet is estimating a cost of several hundred pounds which you need to pay before they admit your dog. Credit cards come into their own here but it just needs to be thought about and is much easier if you have a plan in mind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The cost that surprised me was grooming. I didn't realize that cockapoo's hair grows all the time, not like a Lab, for example, where their hair grows and then stops. I'm fairly new with my pup, but I'm thinking I might have to have her groomed once a month.

I tried having her face done at 4 weeks from the last grooming, but it's only been a week or so, and she's starting to look shaggy. Might just have to go with every month.

I thought I could just groom her myself since I don't want any fancy cut. But, until she settles down a bit (she's about 7 months now and still full of energy) I don't see how I can even try it. I bought a grooming table, but find that she's much better for the groomers than she is for me. When I try, she just wants to play!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got my first dog, a Cockapoo at 60. I am an engineer so I did a lot of research and I think I did pretty well. A puppy is expensive the first year of their lives. I spent about $2,000 with training, vaccinations and pet visits. I also did 18 weeks (3 courses) of training at Pet Smart and was very happy with the result (the training is really more to teach you how to teach him/her). I learned things I never would have figured out like do not let the dog sleep with you until you have established that you are the boss. When I first got Snickers

I let him sleep in the bed he would crawl up above my head which was him trying to show dominance. I put him in a crate at night and he cried but I ignored it and he settled down and now he sleeps at my feet. I used a puppy apartment (google it) for potty training and that worked very well for the first year until he was fully potty trained (did not take a year more like 3 months) and teething and learning to respect the environment (not chewing things). Cockapoos are very smart and really want to please you but they can also be stubborn. I am with my dog all the time and when I worked I would use a doggy day care which worked really well for him. He is so well behaved I can take him into some restaurants (I have a medical condition he helps me with) and he will sit next to me and I can even leave him to go to the bathroom and he will stay where he is until I come back. I always feed him something and give him water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts