I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I don't mind saying where I am from, I have nothing to hide. However...this is an open forum, you do not have to be a member to join and browse through everyones posts. Someone could look through mine and potentially work out what I do for a living, how many kids I have, and potentially where I live? It might seem fairly harmless but I am always teaching my eldest about internet security and not giving too much away on line so I follow some of the same principle. AND I would much rather be 'over the hills and far away' walking my future Cockapoo preferably!

Sarah (from Oxfordshire!) :D

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I think it's up to the individual whether they see the need or feel comfortable in giving that info and is no way a reflection on how friendly they are.

I won't give me my name as a new member until I felt comfortable and my location I use just to have some fun :)

You have to be very careful- having witnessed a horrible situation on another forum where people were outed for not being who they were this included a well know member who had a terrible conviction and fooled many members.

This is also open to people who can browse and are therefore not part of this community.

Some people prefer to to have some anonymity and I for one would respect that.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
When we are arranging meet-ups etc it is really helpful to know where people live. For 'Poo Fest '11 I pm'd everyone who was within reach of Rickmansworth to invite them. Also, there are lots of members in St Albans who are now getting together regularly. Sure there are weird people around both on the internet and off, but I for one am not going to spend my life worrying about them. If people want to be ultra-cautious then that's fine, but I don't find it necessary for myself.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Well me and Clare met up today for a lovely walk around Verulam Park, St Albans.

Millie & Obi met up too. It was brilliant, despite Obi's little mishap :D

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I am beyond excited about getting my girlie and can't wait to be able to start talking cockapoo properly! :D

xxxx
I know the feeling! I'm slightly ashamed with my post count of 500+ before I even get my doglet!! :eek:

Oh no, just seen it's almost 600! Oops haha!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I know the feeling! I'm slightly ashamed with my post count of 500+ before I even get my doglet!! :eek:

Oh no, just seen it's almost 600! Oops haha!
I am impressed that is a lot of posts! ;) :D I bet you are a happy, well informed Cockapoo owner now though! :twothumbs:

x

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Just a thought - Could Dave make the more personal stuff like names and location only available to members to see. I know you don't exactly have to go through a CRB check to become a member or anything, but it might make it a little bit more secure?

Another thing to check, given that we all post photos and lots use mobiles as cameras (I'm excluding you here, Karen ;)) is that your geo-tagging feature isn't switched on on your smartphone. This is when your smartphone uses GPS to add a location tag to each photo. It's been shown that people can access this information from on-line forums and therefore can find out exactly where you were when you took your photo. It's very important if you're posting pictures from your home/garden!

Check your manuals if you don't know how to do this -I'm really no expert (although I can help if you have a HTC Desire HD!)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Just a thought - Could Dave make the more personal stuff like names and location only available to members to see. I know you don't exactly have to go through a CRB check to become a member or anything, but it might make it a little bit more secure?

Another thing to check, given that we all post photos and lots use mobiles as cameras (I'm excluding you here, Karen ;)) is that your geo-tagging feature isn't switched on on your smartphone. This is when your smartphone uses GPS to add a location tag to each photo. It's been shown that people can access this information from on-line forums and therefore can find out exactly where you were when you took your photo. It's very important if you're posting pictures from your home/garden!

Check your manuals if you don't know how to do this -I'm really no expert (although I can help if you have a HTC Desire HD!)
I have just got one of those! :D Love it! xx

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

i think the info only avaliable to members is a really good idea,your right anyone can see all your info on here,also im sure when i looked at a members page they had posted a message giving their phone number out to a friend for all to see.

We should all be more careful

1 - 20 of 46 Posts