I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Shiloh (late-11.2020): Little Lucy Lou, toy poodle
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Poo Owners,
Monday, our girl Ginger Spice, was attacked just feet from our back door doing her evening potty, and killed. We live in a rural, wooded community, however, our entire geographic area is Class C Canopy, so even in town there are coyote spottings. Ginger was nearly 34 pounds, 8 years old, healthy. Her sister had just sensed pending danger and ran toward the door, but Ginger was being Ms. Personality, and hesitated to see what was in the yard. As fast as we reacted, it was too slow.
Coyotes are breeding with red wolves in the southeast region, including most of the Ohio valley, and they are producing much more robust animals than in recent past years. They are many in numbers, bold and hungry. Every state on the continent has them. They can scale an 8' fence, dig under most other fences. Small dogs are at risk. We no longer will let Shiloh out even on to the patio without direct supervision, bright light, and a leash.
We share our loss in the hopes that other owners will take due diligence, as we had always thought we had.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Oh my goodness, my heartfelt sympathies over your terrible loss. We have many coyotes here where I live and I will take your advice to heart. Rufus and I and our cats thank you for taking the time to remind us of this danger. Ginger's tragic death will not be in vain. :(

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Oh how terrible! So sorry for your loss. We also have coyotes behind us in the field and although I have not seen them, I have heard them. I'm always on the lookout for them and skunks when its dark out and will only leash walk Maggie close to where the street lights are near our house.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
So sorry to read of your loss - what a traumatic experience for you.
Run free at teh Rainbow Bridge little Ginger Spice.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I think I have voiced my concern over this on some posts. We live in the Ohio Valley and have a large corn field behind our home. I have heard coyotes many times and it is very hard to tell how close or far they are. We have two fences between us and the fields, but only 4 ft high. We always turn on our flood lights and are ALWAYS out with them regardless if it is dark or not
I am so very sorry for such a tragic loss. Very shocking as your poo was not a lightweight.
Thank you so much for your courage to post to warn others. So sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
220 Posts
So sorry for your loss; that's terrible! Thank you for sharing - We have had the odd cases in the news of small dogs/small children being attacked. One in the last couple of years was of a very small dog on a leash (a long leash I assume) killed by a coyote while on a walk out in a more treed area, but those are rare cases. Never did I think a 30lb dog would be at risk of being attacked by a coyote. Terrible news, and surely something we should be aware of, and regard as a legitimate threat.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
How awful for you. Nature at its cruellest. Thank you for your courage in high lighting this tragic occurrence to make people more aware. My sympathies on your loss.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts