I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

crate help

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Georgiapeach 
#1 ·
third night lots of crying came down today at 2pm poo all over the crate and then 5pm same again .take him outside before we go to bed but he is very scared of the dark and just runs back in he is 10 week old would leaving the hall light on help he is in the living room any help

#2 ·
had he pood before bed.

normaly the dark will eventualy calm an animal. you could always leave a radio on low volume. put a kong in with some peanutbutter or something.

everything is still very new to him, he will settle.

#4 ·
Crating takes ALOT of time and patience. Axle cried for a very long time in his crate at first which was very hard but now that he no longer does that it was well worth it. He will only cry when he hears me get up in the morning. He is still very young so don't get discouraged. I would do what Kendal says, give him something to chew on like a kong to keep his mind stimulated then he will eventually go to bed. Also, when you take him to go potty take him on a leash so he does not have the chance to run back in before he even goes. You need to take control of his pottying.

#5 ·
Helen's right, it sounds scarily similar to my experience with Rosie! I'd definitely try switching to a bland diet and giving a spoonful of bio yoghurt. Keep an eye on his poo and if there's any blood or mucus (just looks like slime), or if he just starts to seem less bright, take him to the vet - my vet warned me that things can escalate really quickly with little ones.

#6 ·
I have to stay Classic FM has been helpful.
It keeps a low consistent back ground noise for the pup.
This type of noise is about when we are.

Bad tum must be an issue as thats a lot of poo.
Suggest feed last meal at 6pm, enough time for poo.

Do you crate train during the day or just at night?
You need to use it as a tool, ideally post a meal.
Let them rest and then let them out to toilet.

And to be fair, you have to go outside with them at this age, to check what they have done and young pups that age dont go anywhere on their own. so it wont be the dark but the fact that no-one is with them.

ITS WORTH IT IN THE END, honest;)

#9 ·
Just wanted to add when you take him out on the lead and he appears frightened do NOT keep saying "good boy" you will just be renforcing in his little head that hes being good being frightened! also take his favourite toy with you and encourage playing in the dark it will take his mind of things I have to say i suspect it isn't the dark but some noise he has heard out there at some point! Harley is now 9 weeks and I crate trained from day 1 when I brought him home at 8 weeks, I started by keeping the door open and putting toys and treats in the crate when he went in I gave another small treat telling him he was a good boy, gradually when he was happy to go in I then started shutting the door if he whined I ignored him when quiet told him he was a good boy and another treat I then started leaving the room for a few minutes at a time same ignored and didn't return until quiet then lots of praise! with regards the tummy Harley had a poorly loose poo and I purchased a pot of pro-bio fibre (looks a bit like rabbit pellets) i add a little and I mean tiny amount to each meal and he is fine now perfect poos!!:D
good luck hope this helps!

#10 ·
What food did the pup come to you eating? If you changed quickly, that probably upset his tummy big time. If you don't know, ask the breeder. Even if it's not a good food, make sure you change to a good one gradually.

To help acclimate the pup to the crate, make the crate a GREAT place to be. Feed the pup in the crate, give treats in the crate, etc.

The other advice above about taking up food and water early in the evening is good, too, as well as taking him outside on a leash. Your pup also probably needs to go in the middle of the night too, until he gets older. You may have to set the alarm clock - sorry! Pups are like babies - you lose sleep when they're young, but they get better with age.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.