I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! We have an 8 week old cockapoo puppy named Charlie. We really only use the crate at night while we sleep and when we leave the house. Charlie absolutely hates being in there. He whines and cries (very loudly) all night long. He will take breaks, for what I assume is a rest, and then start up again. We had to put him in his crate in the dining room for overnight because he is so loud. I'd love to hear any suggestions to make him stop whining and crying in his crate. I feel so bad for him!

Thanks!!

·
Administrator
487 Posts
Benny used to cry in his crate as well. He hated it. From what I remember, we just let him cry it out. Benny would stop crying after a few minutes. But it seems Charlie is more persistent. Maybe you could try moving the crate closer to where you sleep, or even in your room. He might feel lonely when everyone walks away from him at night.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi...I recently put my new 10 week old puppy in the crate. She cried and barked all night and pooped in the crate. It seems the only way that I can get her to sleep at night it to put her in the kitchen with a doggy gate and tire her out before I put her in there. Is crate training absolutly necessary?
Nicole

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
some people do it some people dont. they dont narmaly poo in their crate at night. are you still taking her out for the toilet in the midle of the night.

if you find the kitchen better, you are still kinda crating her but in a larger room. our girls crate is like a bed room. they can go to it to get some peace and quiet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
crate

Thanks for the reply kendal. I talked to the vet and she said a lot of time puppys' from pet stores will poop in there crate because that is what they are used to . We got Bear from a pet store (no puppy mills) and I think that might be the case. I might need to try a more open crate. I saw your christmas pictures and Bear's crate is more like a carrier. I see what you mean that it is kind of their room.
Nicole and Eddie

·
Registered
60 Posts
We're crate training Murphy and he's been doing really well so far. He hasn't went in his crate at all. We have the divider up so he has room to turn around in and lay down. The first night (after the girls got him) was really really rough. We put him in his crate in our bathroom and he cried almost the entire night....expect for maybe 3 hours total. Lastnight we had him in his crate next to our bed and he slept all night expect for the 2 times we took him out go potty.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was wondering about that too. I don't have my pup yet but I was wondering how long it takes usually for them to get used to being in there. Also, will it mess up house training if I let him sleep with me? I plan on crating him when I am not there during the day. I guess he would do better if the crate was in our room at night.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have had Darla for a week now. She has a crate within a childs play pen. So she's not totally shut in the crate. Her bed is in the crate, food and water bowls are outside the crate. Was really worried the first night we had her that she was going to cry all night. Only heard her 4-5 times and no longer for 10 mins each time. Since then she has been as good as gold.
If we are eating she gets put in her pen. She'll cry for maybe 2 mins then put herself to bed. First time we left her alone to do food shopping we put a video camera on her to see how she coped with us leaving her all alone. We were gone for 45 mins. She cried for 1min 45sec then put herself to bed. She seems like a really chilled out dog who loves her bed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
For me, the trick was, I got him super tired before bed time with a long walk or lots of playing, and once he fell asleep I placed him in his crate and sneaked out of the room. The secret is, DON'T let him see you leave the room. If he wakes up while your leaving, stop and wait until he falls back to sleep. As longs as he doesn't see you leave it probably wont take long for him to stop crying. This helps because your not going to want him in your room forever. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi everyone! We have an 8 week old cockapoo puppy named Charlie. We really only use the crate at night while we sleep and when we leave the house. Charlie absolutely hates being in there. He whines and cries (very loudly) all night long. He will take breaks, for what I assume is a rest, and then start up again. We had to put him in his crate in the dining room for overnight because he is so loud. I'd love to hear any suggestions to make him stop whining and crying in his crate. I feel so bad for him!

Thanks!!
When I got Bobby I was full of determination and had his crate all set up for him. I had the crate in my bedroom, as I had been told that it helps them settle if they know you are there.

He whined solidly for all of the night, but I decided to persevere.

Second and third night the same thing happened, and eventually I caved in and put him on my bed.

SILENCE!

He's been there on the end of my bed every night ever since and we both sleep well now :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there. I've found that a lot of the pups I've crate trained seem to do a lot better during the process if they have something warm to cuddle with for the first little while. Try wrapping a hot water bottle in a soft blanket. It seems to work a good 90 percent of the time, but you'll want to wean your pup off of it after a week or two. If they have it for too long they can be more prone to separation anxiety.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bailey was jumping over our baby gates also - so we had to buy Carlson Pet Gates - there is no way he can jump over these, as they are much higher and stronger then baby gates. go to www.petmountain.com and look for CARLSON PET GATES ...they are absolutley worth the money if you want to confine your puppy to a certain area.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts