I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There!
We've recently got our first dog - Maisy - a beautiful F1 Cockapoo. Whilst we love Maisy we are at out wits end over her pooing! She's taken to sleeping in her cage really well but unless I get up around 2am - 3am she poos in it! She doesn't seem to want to go before bed and we don't know how to break this cycle!!!! Any advice or reassurance would be helpful. PS she's 12 weeks old and we've had her since she was 9 weeks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi ya and welcome. Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. It does get better.

We were getting up with Willow a good 6 weeks during the night before she really settled and went completely through the night. She only really started going completely through the night at around 15 weeks. When we got her at 9 weeks also we were getting up roughly at around 1-2 and 4-5 am for toilet then it gradually became a 5am wake up then over days and weeks became half 5 then 6 then half 6 until she now goes from around 9.30pm to 7.30am quite happily.

Once you are confident that Maisy is not distressed and you have taken steps to make sure she feels secure (one of your old t-shirt or pyjama tops wrapped round a hot water bottle would reassure her) then I would suggest, literally getting up in the night and taking her out hopefully before she does it in her crate. You may have to do this for a couple of weeks if it is a toilet problem, however a puppy does not normally mess in their crate and certainly not on a regular basis. It happened to us once and that was when we left her (we assume too long too soon) for 2.5 hours a week after we'd got her and we think she was a bit stressed that we'd left her.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress x

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crate Pooing

Hi There
Thank you for your advice. We actually had a 'poo-free' night last night!!!! I tried putting a blanket with my scent (!!) in the crate and she had had a poo just before bed. I got up at 3am to put her out but she wouldn't do anything as it was ring (another issue!!!). When my wife got up at 6 we had a poo free crate! I hope it lasts but thanks again for your advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts