I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

After my joyous post about a successful holiday I've had a few trying days - doesn't it get to you sooo much when something isn't working!! My latest venture is trying to leave pup on her own for a bit in preparation for me working afternoons in September. Poppy has slept overnight in her crate in the hall since day one and with the door closed since week two. I've tried all sorts of things to make it an interesting place but she doesn't go near it in the day except for meals. I move it around, so in the day she's under the dining table with me quite close and then she'll sleep if I'm around but howl and bark if I'm not - I did 10 mins on Monday (on a Skype call watching via webcam - the things you do!) and nearly 40 yesterday but she wouldn't relax, I felt like a torturer and worried myself sick about separation anxiety etc etc! But today I tried the open crate in the hall with all the doors shut and lots of toys/treats and she did half an hour and later an hour, both times with just a few minutes of whining and no barking, I was over the moon. I know I'm not out of the woods yet but I think I've found a starting point. Then the postman delivered some bully sticks and she spent the rest of the day happily chomping on pizzle, delightful!! So don't lose heart if you're trying to suss the crate, there's always a way :D fingers crossed.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Sounds good. You just have to find what works, just different things to chew so that she doesn't find that she enjoys your skirting boards x

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm so glad you have said this, I have had exactly the same with Betty.

Fine in the crate on a night but won't go near it in the day, I felt like I was cheating leaving her locked in the kitchen instead of crating her when I go out but when I leave there is little crying and when I come home she is always sat nicely in her cosy bed.

You have made me feel much better! Thank you

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I did the same. I started with a crate, then puppy proofed my kitchen with a gate across the door. Now I leave my dogs the run of the whole house when I go to work. The only thing I have to remove is socks and shoes (just too tempting) and I have a cage letterbox for my post.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny isn't it, I'd love to know what she really thinks! I can't wait until I can give her more freedom, my last dog had the whole house and never destroyed anything, except a few presents one Xmas (my fault!). We walked in to find a sea of paper with her sitting contentedly munching a pumice stone from a Burt's Bees gift set and a QI book was next to her bed, we nearly fell over laughing :D

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sounds as if you're getting it sussed, that's great. :) Ours rarely go in their crate during the day, (although they did the first day or two,) and certainly not out of choice, and we've done the same as you, put toys etc in there and a cosy bed etc. but they seem to associate it with night time only. When we have to all leave the house (which so far has only been a handful of times,) we've found they are more than happy to do so if we give them a filled kong when we pop them in there. SO, we've decided to keep the kongs for daytime crate sessions only, as a treat/enticement for spending an hour or so in there during the day.
We hope to eventually leave them with the lounge/kitchen/conservatory area downstairs when they are older, (we have no hallway.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts