I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was just wondering when you changed feeding from 3 meals to 2 meals a day. Rufus is now 17 weeks and often isn't fussed about his lunch. Do you think he is too young to start eating 2 meals ?

Thanks
Anna

·
Registered
133 Posts
Archie is 7 months and still has 3 meals a day. Sometimes he asks for lunch and sometimes he doesn't but I always give it anyway. I actually don't know if he should still be having 3 meals a day but just haven't got round to doing anything about it. (So busy these days!) When we cut him from 4 to 3 it was because he stopped eating the mid afternoon meal for about 3 days in a row.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Hi Anna

I'm just switching this week to 2 meals a day. It's around the 6-9 month mark usually (if you google it), although Biscuit would happily eat 3 if I let him. He was on 4 meals up to 12 weeks and then I reduced to 3. I need to stabilise his weight at the moment so this has had something to do with it and thought it easier to give him 2 good-sized meals, rather than 3 tiny ones! He's a smaller cockapoo too.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I switched Millie at 5 months to 2 meals. But she wasn't eating properly her kibble food, so when I spoke to Natural Instinct to put her on their food, they said it was ok to drop to 2 meals a day as she was nearly 6 months old.

She's now just over a year old and actually, I'm thinking of dropping to 1 meal a day. Only because she is not a big eater and often skips meals. Some dogs just know how much food they need and don't over eat, so if he doesn't always eat a meal don't worry too much. :D

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Natural Instinct say on their website to feed 3-4 meals per day up to 9 months! I found that confusing so googled around and found the norm too be around 6 months. I guess they are just generalising and would tailor that advice according to your breed.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for a your replies. I think we will continue with 3 meals for a bit longer and see how he goes. If he starts leaving it for a number of days in a row perhaps that's when we will swap tk two!

I thought if was about six months but I suppose every dog Is different.

X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.