I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a bad night really.... Pareto whined for a little while then went to sleep.... and was quiet until we came down at 6am. Only problem was he'd weed and pooed in his crate. He didn't seem bothered by it... so can't work out if he did it on waking or whether he'd gone in his crate last night? He had only had one wee before bed though, and wouldn't o for a poo outside when I took him into the garden.

Today he's had a few accidents, and one he went in his crate to do. I'd had to leave him for a couple of hours this morning, and he soiled his crate again.

So if anyone has any housetraining tips i'd appreciate them. I'm trying to be consistent.... so keeping eyes out for the signs, then taking him out on hislead to the garden... and if I catch him mid accident I'm taking him straight out and not scolding.

He's only a baby, so I'm sure he'll get there :)

He's currently asleep on my feet, which is good as I'm supposed t v working from home today but finding it very hard not to play with him and give him cuddles!

Kx

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hi Kerry,

It sounds like you're doing exactly the right thing during the day - it takes a few weeks of constant vigilance but then one day you realise that actually you've not let him out for a few hours and he hasn't needed to go.

As for the ngiht time, if you are crate training him, then the idea is to make the crate as small as you can get it, so he can still lie down comfortably, but there is not enough space for him to soil a separate bit of the cage - dogs naturally won't soil their sleeping area. You can do this with a crate divider, or we just used cardboard boxes (and replaced them when Roise chewed through them). But, you have to be careful because if his bladder is not big enough to hold it all night long, then he will just have to wee where he sleeps and this will end up over-riding his natural instinct to be clean and you will be worse off. So you have to be prepared to get up in the night to let him out (we were lucky, Rosie held on all night really early).

Other people can advise you what to do if you're not crate training him. A lot of people use a crate, but have a separate bit of it with puppy pads in it to mark it out as the toilet area. I'm not sure how you then progress to getting them to hold on all night.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hi Kerry,I tell you the rules i stuck to and they were when puppy is awake take him outside for a toilet break every hour ,I also seperated his crate in half in one half was a puppy pad and oneside his bed.(I only did this for 1 week then removed the pad as he didnt go toilet in his crate).
Im unsure why he is soiling his crate as nornally they like to keep their dens clean,it could be now there is the scent there he will keep doing it ,im sure someone said washing powder gets rid of wee and poo smell??? prehaps if you clean with this it might stop him?

Even though i followed these rules Buddy still had the odd accident but dont worry as the weeks go on they do get better ,good luck Dx

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Oh, and I forgot to say -the feet sleeping thing is gorgeous isn't it? Rosie is way too big for that now, but if I sit on the floor, she has to get her whole body off the floor and onto me somehow still!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes clean it with washing powder, I think it has to be biological, diluted with warm water and scrub away! Also wash any bedding with biological powder.
Start to use a word when he does his wee's and poops, say it as he's doing them and eventually he will be able to go on command! Make EXTRA big fuss of him when he does it in the garden, go over the top with it so he gets excited and knows he is pleasing you. The breeder that we got Barney from started to use a word before we collected him and we have carried on using the same word, it's worked a treat, only a few accidents but then he was 10 wks when we collected him due to our holiday so I think we were lucky!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Lot's of good advise. With Rosie we used a small travel crate, the type you see people taking their cat to the vet in, she slept in our bedroom by our bed so I could react to movement and take her outside. She is now 5 months and sleeps with Poppy on the landing. She is still in a crate during the day if we leave her for more than an hour, but the rest of the time she has the run off the house and we've had no accidents for a while now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts