I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I wondered if anyone has ant advise for me...Blossom is 8wks old tomorrow and I have had her 1 week with the usual mouthing, biting and chewing but yesterday she turned and snapped at me in a more random out of the blue way and today my mum picked her up and she snarled, growled and again went to bite her. I put her in her crate where she had a huge sleep and then tea time she came out for her food and when she had finished she came over to me and began to growl and jumped to bite my leg, I picked her up and said a firm NO bite and she growled again. I took her outside for peepee on her lead as I usually do and after she tiddled she sat and stared at me and wouldnt move....I gave a little tug on her lead and said in a matter a fact way, come - lets go and she began to growl and and came for another bite. I marched her indoors and spoke softly good girl that she had come in and took off her lead and she did it again. Again a firm NO BITE and placed her in her crate. She slept for quite a while again and when she awoke I spoke sweetly to her for a peepee and the scenario happened all over again!!
I do expect the mouthing chewing and nipping but think she is so young to be showing this behaviour....I have been consistant and she is responding to her name and does the sit command already. Previously between the nipping and chewing play times she has been affectionate and love being curled in my arms and have her tummy stroked so whats happening?
Since I have had her she has been constantly licking her lady bits???
I am taking her to the vets 1st thing tomorrow to get her checked out.
Does anybody have any suggestions?
Thankyou.xxxx:confused::(

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi Tammy
Having read your post and as this seems to be a dramatic change in attitude my thoughts go straight to maybe there's something we are not seeing here and with her constantly licking I feel you are wise to be getting her checked by the vet. It maybe something very simple like a urine infection and its making her grumpy:(

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tammy
Having read your post and as this seems to be a dramatic change in attitude my thoughts go straight to maybe there's something we are not seeing here and with her constantly licking I feel you are wise to be getting her checked by the vet. It maybe something very simple like a urine infection and its making her grumpy:(
I so hope you are right, it has made me feel poorly today with worry for her and also in hope that I can get it sorted as I have my 6 year old daughter to think about:( xxx

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh Tammy.....

Thats a horrible situation to be in. Naughty Blossom!
The growling is certainly a concern and i hope the vet manages to reassure you that she's in good health / and or rule out whats bothering her. I cant believe she would continue to remain aggressive?
Belle sometimes launches herself at you with her jaw snapping, but thats only ever in play or when she's having a mad half hour. A firm NO BITE (as you have been doing) and time out in her crate solves that. The last few days we've had her out for a little walk round the streets (there are no dogs up here) and she has been much calmer & shattered most evenings! Things definately improved once she got to 9 weeks, so keep up the great work tammy. I am much more content with her now, even though i really wasnt sure a few days ago! keep us posted x x

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update...ahh what a difference!!

Well, we went to the vet today and Blossom had a thorough check over by the lovely vet and found her adrenal glands were full!! What a difference this has made to her.
I stand corrected if I mentioned the word "snarling" as I have been put straight that this is when a dog curl its top lip and show their teeth (which she didn't) phew! She was a little nitemare yesterday and I havent felt well - bug or something which probably Blossom picked up on too (that I wasnt firing on all cylinders).
After we both had a little rest this morning after the vet visit we were both back on form and I have had Blossom like putty in my hand (well, 3 short spells in time out).
Blossom has been so attentive this afternoon...sitting on command time and time again and also fetch, bring, drop & sit!!:D My little wonder dog!:D
Its onwards and upwards...I feel like such a novice but like Blossom, practice makes perfect!!xxxxxxxxx:ilmc:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Woohoo! Great news. Do you mean her Anal glands were full?
By all accounts its a nasty, smelly job, but sometimes they dont empty!!
Fab that you're both so much happier!

S x

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes they were full (squirted right across the table - eww), what a relief (for Blossom too). The vet said that is why she was constantly licking down there and why she was obviously very grumpy! And there was me with my wee & poo samples just incase lol. Hope Belle is being a good girl.xxx

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry to be graphic, but how were her poo's?! Any constipation or tell tale signs?
Did the vet tell you how to look out for it in future?

x

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Glad to hear that the problem was straight forward and that she is now much better.

When their anal glands are full or uncomfortable they sometimes scoot their bum on the floor. Sometimes you get a kind of fishy smell as well.

Flo only had this problem once when quite young.

Since moving onto NI and bones it hasn't happened again - I think the drier, harder poo helps to express the anal glands naturally when they have a poo.

If take a dog for grooming some groomers will express the anal glands as part of their job but I kind of think that a dog should be fed in a way so this happens naturally rather than constantly intervening like this.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad she is sorted - are you going to change her food? xx
Hope she continues to be sweet Blossom x
Yes I have got her some Burns Mini Bites...a little more natural. Dont want to upset her tummy as she has already been changed so will do it very gradually.:D xx

Sorry to be graphic, but how were her poo's?! Any constipation or tell tale signs?
Did the vet tell you how to look out for it in future?
lol no constipation and her poos were all firm!! The only signs were constant licking of her lady bits (which the breeder adviced was normal!) and the abnormal puppy behaviour - more snappy than a puppy should be at that age. The vet said usually if the pup/dog has had diahrreoa this can collect in the anal gland and cause discomfort.:Dxx

x
Glad to hear that the problem was straight forward and that she is now much better.

When their anal glands are full or uncomfortable they sometimes scoot their bum on the floor. Sometimes you get a kind of fishy smell as well.

Flo only had this problem once when quite young.

Since moving onto NI and bones it hasn't happened again - I think the drier, harder poo helps to express the anal glands naturally when they have a poo.

If take a dog for grooming some groomers will express the anal glands as part of their job but I kind of think that a dog should be fed in a way so this happens naturally rather than constantly intervening like this.
Thankyou that is very good advice and the NI diet sounds like it would help but at the moment we will stick with dry until I have had a good old read up on it.:D xx

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Hi Tammy
Interesting to read your post. My Millie had a similar problem, not with the grumpiness, but definitely with the anal gland problem.

When we got her at 9 weeks, she kept biting the top of her back legs, like she had a really bad itch. The she started to scoot. My friend is a dog groomer so I took her at about 12 weeks. She was amazed that when she checked her anal gland it was full.

We kept an eye on it and 3 weeks later she had to have them emptied again. And again 4 weeks later. It was really bad.

I spoke to the vets who said I would need to look into changing her food. This got me thinking and I knew she wasn't happy on her kibble food, which I had changed in the end 3 times. The vet was going to suggest yet another food alternative ie kibble or tinned. I had discussed giving the raw diet but they weren't happy about it.

It was on this fab site that I read loads on the raw/barf/NI diet. It made sense to me and I gave it go. Brilliant, never looked back. Anal gland I think is now under control, fingers crossed. She does scoot ocassionally, but I know now that for her it means she just needs to do a poo.

A word of warning, my friend who has schnauzer, ignored her dogs scooting and distress and the anal gland ruptured - her dog is ok, but has been rather poorly.

You are obviously have a good instinct to get Blossom checked out :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Tammy
Interesting to read your post. My Millie had a similar problem, not with the grumpiness, but definitely with the anal gland problem.

When we got her at 9 weeks, she kept biting the top of her back legs, like she had a really bad itch. The she started to scoot. My friend is a dog groomer so I took her at about 12 weeks. She was amazed that when she checked her anal gland it was full.

We kept an eye on it and 3 weeks later she had to have them emptied again. And again 4 weeks later. It was really bad.

I spoke to the vets who said I would need to look into changing her food. This got me thinking and I knew she wasn't happy on her kibble food, which I had changed in the end 3 times. The vet was going to suggest yet another food alternative ie kibble or tinned. I had discussed giving the raw diet but they weren't happy about it.

It was on this fab site that I read loads on the raw/barf/NI diet. It made sense to me and I gave it go. Brilliant, never looked back. Anal gland I think is now under control, fingers crossed. She does scoot ocassionally, but I know now that for her it means she just needs to do a poo.

A word of warning, my friend who has schnauzer, ignored her dogs scooting and distress and the anal gland ruptured - her dog is ok, but has been rather poorly.

You are obviously have a good instinct to get Blossom checked out :D
Thankyou for your post, I hear what you are all saying about the NI and it is very interesting...Im not sure yet maybe a bit scared and unsure if it is for us or not as yet. My worry is about bacteria in meat and (sounds silly but...) would it give them a taste for any raw meat ie would it turn her to bite people? Im not much of a meat eater myself and unless it is fillet meat it make me squirm lol but is def something to look into in the future.

I felt I was losing my mind yesterday lol, I kept trying to explain that her mood was more than puppiness but everyone was saying its natural puppy behaviour so yes I am so glad I followed my insticts and glad it was nothing more and it has made such a difference - overall she is now alot less nippy and mouthy (touch wood). Blossom did constantly put her feet in her mouth and nibbling round both of her legs....in future I will take her into the groomers to get it checked now I know (would be alot cheaper).

Your friends poor little dog, that must of been awful. Its something you dont think of initially that an anal gland would be the cause.

I'm happy, Blossom is happy and so is little Lilya:D xx

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I wasn't sure about the raw diet to start with. It was mentioned to me at a food fare by one of the stall holders. I initial thought was, yeah right well faddy and complicated, nothing wrong with kibble food.

But as time went on and Millie really wasn't enjoying her food and her anal gland was really proving a problem, healthwise I started looking into it. The vet did put me off saying you can't be certain of how fresh the meat is. But once I read loads on here and looked up NI, which is fully prepared for you, it just seem to make sense.

The puppy food looks just like minced chicken, so nothing squeamish.

As regards getting a taste for raw food, that is a little more trickey for me to answer. The long and short of it is Millie loves dead rabbits :eek: and you can look at this in two ways. Firstly, it is definitely not fresh, so the NI is way way healthier. But secondly, I honestly can't remember what came first NI or dead rabbit. However, I really must stress that most dogs are not into dead rabbit/animals and I bet if you asked all the NI feeders on here the vast majority would say there cockapoos aren't interested in dead things. This is just a Millie thing that I'm working on to try and stop.

Incidentally, I asked the vet about her eating dead animals and should I be worried. Surprisingly she said, nothing to really worry about apart from keeping her well wormed. So much for them worrying about the freshness of my NI :)

I didn't actually swap Millie over until she was 5 1/2 months old. But once I made up my mind I changed her over quite quickly. :D :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol it may not be be just Millie liking dead rabbits, Blossom is proving to be a real food lover and will not refuse a morsal! Her kibble barely touches the sides lol. I have been so worried about letting her roam the garden with out her lead on as she will try eating fusia buds, rose petals, grass, weeds and soil...it makes me a bit nervous pre-jabs as I do have snails and slugs slithering the garden but the vet reassured me and said let her rumage.:D
I hope Millie gets over her love for dead rabbit...she wont contract mixamatosis will she??
It is true what you say about the NI and will bare it in mind, still early days for us but worth me looking into. Thankyou for sharing, its much appreciated.:D xx

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Lol, I know what you mean about the garden. Millie too enjoys odds things, pansies, other flower tops that I don't know the name of. Slug & snails, but not to eat just to hold in the mouth - nice:eek:. She's on Advocate flea treatment because of the risk of lung worm.

And, mixamotosis is not a problem, vet said it can't be passed on. Just worms !! and an upset tummy if its really gross.

How old is Blossom? Your pita pata is not up to date, unless you got her today:D x

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol I must change my pitapata - a job for tomorrow me thinks - Blossom is 8wks today! and Ive had her a week.

Good job about the mixamatosis, that would be a scarey thought. I sometimes think Blossom should of been a little bunny, all the hopping in the garden then laying on her back on my lap with her little paws hanging like rabbit paws.
Blossom was flead & wormed by breeder but the vet gave me advocate today so I can relax abit about that too now!
Millie must be such a little character bless her.:D xx

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ever since I first started skulking around, and then joined, here I've been very interested in all the NI pros vs cons. It really sounds like it is better all round for our dogs. The cost worried me a bit but I still think it's worth it. And today, having bought Kipper home with Hills puppy food I've made up my mind. The Hills absolutely stinks! I swear it smells just like wet dog and one of my big reservations about having a dog was that I didn't want my house to smell! (I know, fussy- but I hate housework so I do as little as I can get away with!!) I thought it was Kipper that smelt at first, then I thought it was her puppy blanket, them realised it was her food.
It has to go ASAP!!!
Oh, just realised she's gone quiet in her crate.....now I'm worried there's something wrong!!
X

1 - 20 of 43 Posts